Purpose of caster/camber plates? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Purpose of caster/camber plates?

I went to get my car aligned today and there was another mustang there that was getting Maximum Motorsport caster/camber plates and the guy at the alignment shop said they're really good for lowered cars. What's the purpose of them and are they a good buy?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
If you're lowered a lot of people will recommend them. Reason is if it's unaligned you're tired might wear faster. They allow you to alight it back to factorry specs
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
If you're lowered a lot of people will recommend them. Reason is if it's unaligned you're tired might wear faster. They allow you to alight it back to factorry specs
Did you have them on your car cause I know your car was lowered? Worth buying?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
JetLife 01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: California
Posts: 598
Many people say they can get just camber bolts and get their alignment right. I have my H&R springs sitting in my garage waiting for me to put them on. But I can't decide whether I'm gonna go with cc's or c bolts
__________________
2001 GT

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04

Did you have them on your car cause I know your car was lowered? Worth buying?
Yea I had maximum motorsports cc plates and they are worth it
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: California
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04

Did you have them on your car cause I know your car was lowered? Worth buying?
I have them on my car and there definitely worth it. Keeps the alignment in check and your tires from wearing
__________________
Full Exhaust, Full Bolt Ons, Full Suspension and Much More..

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

I have them on my car and there definitely worth it. Keeps the alignment in check and your tires from wearing
How long do you think it keeps you from having to get new tires? Couple months? Years?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
JetLife 01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: California
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04

How long do you think it keeps you from having to get new tires? Couple months? Years?
Once you get the alignment right with cc's, they will wear normally. Doesn't make ur tires last longer or shorter than normal. It's when the alignment is all off that causes abnormal and premature wear on ur tires. I believe the average tire is made to last around 40k ish depending on how you drive.
__________________
2001 GT

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04

How long do you think it keeps you from having to get new tires? Couple months? Years?
My friend got around 10k out of his tires unaligned and cambering
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

My friend got around 10k out of his tires unaligned and cambering
Sounds like they're a pretty damn good by. Especially for lowered mustangs. What kinda tips did you have on your car man? They look sick.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

My friend got around 10k out of his tires unaligned and cambering
+1 I went 6k after I lowered my car and wore the inside of my front tires bald. I only had 12k miles on the car. I've got M&M c/c plates now. I've put about 15k on these and my tires are still looking good.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
CC plates are needed when you lower our cars by much more than 1-1/4", this is because the stock CC plates do not have sufficient adjustment range to get the camber set properly.

When you lower the car via shorter springs the negative camber increases, and will cause the inside of the front tires to wear excessively--depending on how much the negative camber has been increased. Camber of -1.2° or more will cause uneven tire wear, however it also improves handling; some autocrossers run -3° or more.

Aftermarket CC plates extended the adjustment range and let the camber be set at the factory spec (-0.50° ±0.75°). For best handling and acceptable tire wear camber of -1.2° to -1.4° is what I recommend; if improved handling is not a concern stick with the "negative" side of factory spec, -0.7° to -1.0°.

Caster should be set at +4.0° or better (I run 5.5°) the factory spec is 3.2° ±0.75°.
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
CC plates are needed when you lower our cars by much more than 1-1/4", this is because the stock CC plates do not have sufficient adjustment range to get the camber set properly.

When you lower the car via shorter springs the negative camber increases, and will cause the inside of the front tires to wear excessively--depending on how much the negative camber has been increased. Camber of -1.2° or more will cause uneven tire wear, however it also improves handling; some autocrossers run -3° or more.

Aftermarket CC plates extended the adjustment range and let the camber be set at the factory spec (-0.50° ±0.75°). For best handling and acceptable tire wear camber of -1.2° to -1.4° is what I recommend; if improved handling is not a concern stick with the "negative" side of factory spec, -0.7° to -1.0°.

Caster should be set at +4.0° or better (I run 5.5°) the factory spec is 3.2° ±0.75°.
I have noticed that the tops of my wheels kinda lean inward and with CC plates that will straighten them back up and keeping the inside part of my tires from wearing? Mine is lowered about 1.7".
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Poopyhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: garland
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 173
My guy says he was able to get better than factory specs with my cc plates
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopyhead44
My guy says he was able to get better than factory specs with my cc plates
Yeah I went to the alignment shop yesterday and there was another mustang in there that was lowered and had the CC plates and he said with these put in this car is perfectly aligned and he said its a must have for lowered cars. Is it easy install though cause he was $500 for install, and realignment.
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Poopyhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: garland
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 173
They are super easy to install I did mine myself then 80 bucks for alignment
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopyhead44
They are super easy to install I did mine myself then 80 bucks for alignment
Don't you just have to drill two holes?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Poopyhead44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: garland
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 173
I did drill a couple holes but its been a couple years I just remember it only taking about an hour. I bought them from am and they came with instructions.they will give you alot of range to get your alignment dead on
Poopyhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangerBanger04

Sounds like they're a pretty damn good by. Especially for lowered mustangs. What kinda tips did you have on your car man? They look sick.
4 inch stainless steel
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

4 inch stainless steel
Didn't have any clearance issues with the cut outs? I thought our years were a little more narrow than the 05-09s. That's why I thought they could fit 4 inch easier? Did they tilt done any?
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Nope no clearence issues at all. They maybe stuck under about 1/4 of an inch but not really noticeable
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
StangerBanger04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
Nope no clearence issues at all. They maybe stuck under about 1/4 of an inch but not really noticeable
Yeah sweet they looked good man
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Thnks
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:30 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.