spark plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
spark plugs

Hey all, new to the forum. I bought my 01 gt about 6 months ago with 111,000 miles (116k now) and I'm almost certain it still has the stock plugs in it. I've heard the modulars are due for a plug change at 100k..is that correct? Now, I don't know if its my imagination or I'm just getting used to the car but its starting to seem like it doesn't have the power it had when I got it. I think new plugs would wake it back up but just to what extent? What amount of power would I get back?...I just don't wanna have too high of expectations before I start turning wrenches.
VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Id do a 100k tune up and i know ull be surprised by the outcome...

-air filter
-fuel filter
-plugs & wires
-bottle of seafoam
-new rear gear lube

If you're strapped for cash though just plugs will make a difference. I replace mine every 20k miles

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Got it...plugs, wires, and fuel filter look like they have the potential for being a PITA on these 4.6's. I'm used to working on less complicated looking machines haha. Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Buy a fuel line disconnect tool and the filter will be easy. The rear spark plugs will be the biggest pain of swapping them but an extension and wobble socket will be your friend

Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Ok will do. Do I have to remove the fuel rails or can I get the COP's off without taking them off?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ive never had to remove the rails....but it is a pita like he said to get to #7 & #8
Old 11-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

MAKE SURE!!!! To not over tighten any plugs you have an aluminum head and it seems like sooner or later most shade tree oil changers strip out the threads cause it is SUPER EASY to do be extremely cautious of this or you will find yourself spending a lot of money to have them re taped
CrimsonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonGT
MAKE SURE!!!! To not over tighten any plugs you have an aluminum head and it seems like sooner or later most shade tree oil changers strip out the threads cause it is SUPER EASY to do be extremely cautious of this or you will find yourself spending a lot of money to have them re taped
Advice taken....sorry for gettin off topic here but do any of ya know what would make a clunk clunk when in neutral turning into a parking spot..coming from under the shifter. Tranny supports??
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
trans fluid should be changed every 25k at least, if you never have done it.... you may not wish to start but if its been done you may want to consider that as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

good point...i'm about to do that for mine for the 50k mile service

Old 11-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #11

well I just got done changing the plugs....Not at all as bad as I had imagined. It took about an hour. I didn't have an air compressor or canned air to blow out the holes before removing the old plugs so I was reduced to blowing thru a big a** straw to get the dirt out ...the wife kept wondering what that whistling noise was coming from out side haha!! I went with the NGK copper plugs (hopefully not a bad choice bc they were out of bosch and autolite and I refuse to use champions in ANYTHING) It had motorcraft platinums in it which I think may have been the stock plugs...I was checking the gaps on the old plugs as I removed them and one of them was all the way out to .075. I do believe thats where my low rpm hiccup was coming from. Now next week I'm going to try to get the fuel filter done and try and figure out what that clunk is under the shifter.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
trans fluid should be changed every 25k at least, if you never have done it.... you may not wish to start but if its been done you may want to consider that as well.
Hey man...I love that cobra. Its bad as hell.. I'll trade ya a GT for it
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertGT View Post
well I just got done changing the plugs....Not at all as bad as I had imagined. It took about an hour. I didn't have an air compressor or canned air to blow out the holes before removing the old plugs so I was reduced to blowing thru a big a** straw to get the dirt out ...the wife kept wondering what that whistling noise was coming from out side haha!! I went with the NGK copper plugs (hopefully not a bad choice bc they were out of bosch and autolite and I refuse to use champions in ANYTHING) It had motorcraft platinums in it which I think may have been the stock plugs...I was checking the gaps on the old plugs as I removed them and one of them was all the way out to .075. I do believe thats where my low rpm hiccup was coming from. Now next week I'm going to try to get the fuel filter done and try and figure out what that clunk is under the shifter.
The NGK conventional plugs will have to be changed more often, so make sure you torque them properly. The factory spec is 11-13 lb-ft though a bit tighter won't hurt--I torque mine to 14.5 lb-ft using a torque limiting socket. This is very important or you risk becoming a member of the "gee I just blew out a plug" club...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
The NGK conventional plugs will have to be changed more often, so make sure you torque them properly. The factory spec is 11-13 lb-ft though a bit tighter won't hurt--I torque mine to 14.5 lb-ft using a torque limiting socket. This is very important or you risk becoming a member of the "gee I just blew out a plug" club...
yea...I've been reading horror stories about that happening on the 01 heads. I've been searching the forum and google trying to find info on if the 3v heads are a direct bolt on....no good info yet except folks sayin go 4v or nothing. I don't have the coin for a 4v swap, so thats a no go at the moment.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Never go ngk more times then less I've seen herd and been thru striped heads motor craft not only last and perform better but they are oem for our year moddle mustangs ngk is just a hair off MC plugs just to be on the safe side you know us mustang gotta tell the secrets of keeping these cars the kings of the roads and I know there is going to be those guys that say oh I've had ngk and nothing has happened but mine wait till 40000 miles till they striped and yes every engine is different
trejo_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trejo_03
Never go ngk more times then less I've seen herd and been thru striped heads motor craft not only last and perform better but they are oem for our year moddle mustangs ngk is just a hair off MC plugs just to be on the safe side you know us mustang gotta tell the secrets of keeping these cars the kings of the roads and I know there is going to be those guys that say oh I've had ngk and nothing has happened but mine wait till 40000 miles till they striped and yes every engine is different
Yes motorcraft plugs are great if you are still stock with a cold air intake and exhaust. You will not find one tuner in the US that still uses stock motorcraft plugs in any highly modified or boosted application. NGK plugs are the best when you are supercharged or turbocharged.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT