Codes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Codes

Got some codes for you guys. P1000, P0602, and P0153. Appreciate if anyone can help.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you Google these?
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No, I figured since I was on here already I might could get a more simplified response than all the advanced terminology I'd find by looking them up. My tuner gives descriptions but I really don't understand what it's saying lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I highly recommend you search these.. a very quick search yields pretty simple results, usually from other forums. That being said, I know that a p1000 is a Ford specific code you'll get from your car not running it's self diagnostics completely. It is not a fault, doesn't trip the MIL, and can be ignored. P06 series codes are PCM or ECM related, and P01 are O2 sensor related. All of these are probably caused by your tuner!
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
I highly recommend you search these.. a very quick search yields pretty simple results, usually from other forums. That being said, I know that a p1000 is a Ford specific code you'll get from your car not running it's self diagnostics completely. It is not a fault, doesn't trip the MIL, and can be ignored. P06 series codes are PCM or ECM related, and P01 are O2 sensor related. All of these are probably caused by your tuner!
Sounds like no worries then, thank you. And the p01 was the only one to throw a check engine light.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus

Sounds like no worries then, thank you. And the p01 was the only one to throw a check engine light.
Further diagnostics could determine that you have a lazy O2, but it isn't a pressing concern IMO. Go take it for a weekend spin! No, literally. Do a donut.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Further diagnostics could determine that you have a lazy O2, but it isn't a pressing concern IMO. Go take it for a weekend spin! No, literally. Do a donut.
Might just have to take you up on that! Haha
Old 11-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would the o2 sensor affect my mpg? In the past week my gas mileage feels like it's been cut in half. Tire pressure is good and I don't know what else might be causing it.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Would the o2 sensor affect my mpg? In the past week my gas mileage feels like it's been cut in half. Tire pressure is good and I don't know what else might be causing it.
O2 sensors do modify your fuel trim, but it typically isn't a staggering change. If your mileage was that bad you'd be smelling the richness in the exhaust. Try cleaning the MAF.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

O2 sensors do modify your fuel trim, but it typically isn't a staggering change. If your mileage was that bad you'd be smelling the richness in the exhaust. Try cleaning the MAF.
Yeah I can smell the exhaust pretty bad lol
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I can smell the exhaust pretty bad lol
You probably have a bigger problem than the O2, and running that rich may have ruined your catalytic converters already. Hopefully somebody that has had that issue with a Mustang can chime in because i'm not sure where to start the diagnosis.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Look them up here, info straight from the Ford shop manual...

P1000 means the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests (O² sensors, cat, EGR, EVAP, etc) are incomplete. Flashing a tune or disconnecting the battery for more than 5 minutes will reset the I/M monitors and P1000 will be thrown until all tests are passed.

P0153 means a slow response from the front O² sensor on bank 2 (driver's side).

A bad O² sensor will cause the engine gobble up fuel. In closed loop mode the PCM uses feedback from the front sensor's to maintain AFR around 14.7:1. A failed sensor will generate a low, or no, output signal; the PCM interprets this as a lean mix and will add fuel to make the AFR 14.7:1--however the failed sensor still reports a lean mix. The PCM will add up to 25% more fuel before an O² sensor malfunction DTC is thrown, and then it will keep adding fuel up to 50% or so...

P0602 means the VID (Vehicle ID--VIN) data in the tune is corrupted, has this car had a tune flashed?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You probably have a bigger problem than the O2, and running that rich may have ruined your catalytic converters already. Hopefully somebody that has had that issue with a Mustang can chime in because i'm not sure where to start the diagnosis.
I don't have cats haha.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't have cats haha.
...but you still have O2 sensors?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
...but you still have O2 sensors?
Of course, two up front unless he's converted to speed/density engine management; used by the PCM to control the engine in closed-loop operation...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
Look them up here, info straight from the Ford shop manual...

P1000 means the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) monitor tests (O² sensors, cat, EGR, EVAP, etc) are incomplete. Flashing a tune or disconnecting the battery for more than 5 minutes will reset the I/M monitors and P1000 will be thrown until all tests are passed.

P0153 means a slow response from the front O² sensor on bank 2 (driver's side).

A bad O² sensor will cause the engine gobble up fuel. In closed loop mode the PCM uses feedback from the front sensor's to maintain AFR around 14.7:1. A failed sensor will generate a low, or no, output signal; the PCM interprets this as a lean mix and will add fuel to make the AFR 14.7:1--however the failed sensor still reports a lean mix. The PCM will add up to 25% more fuel before an O² sensor malfunction DTC is thrown, and then it will keep adding fuel up to 50% or so...

P0602 means the VID (Vehicle ID--VIN) data in the tune is corrupted, has this car has a tune flashed?
Can the o2 sensor be fixed or will it just have to be replaced?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And yes it is Bama tuned
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
It needs to be replaced. You may want to replace both front sensors while you are under there, especially if the car has 80k miles or more.

Tell BAMA about the P602 code, they should be able to fix that...

Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Of course, two up front unless he's converted to speed/density engine management; used by the PCM to control the engine in closed-loop operation...
Right.... but if he only has bank 1 O2's, then he should have MILs or a tune. Looks like he has a Bama tune, which disables those bank 2's and feeds the ECU the voltage it would see in perfect conditions. That's where i'm puzzled. The ECU compares bank 1 (pre-cat) to bank 2 readings (after cats) and makes adjustments based on those readings. If anything, at least tuning bank 2 would keep the car from running that filthy rich if the O2's were the culprit?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It needs to be replaced. You may want to replace both front sensors while you are under there, especially if the car has 80k miles or more.

Tell BAMA about the P602 code, they should be able to fix that...
What issue would the p602 cause?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right.... but if he only has bank 1 O2's, then he should have MILs or a tune. Looks like he has a Bama tune, which disables those bank 2's and feeds the ECU the voltage it would see in perfect conditions. That's where i'm puzzled. The ECU compares bank 1 (pre-cat) to bank 2 readings (after cats) and makes adjustments based on those readings. If anything, at least tuning bank 2 would keep the car from running that filthy rich if the O2's were the culprit?
"Banks" 1 and 2 are the passenger and driver side cylinder banks, you are I believe referring to the front (upstream from the cats) and rear (downstream) O² sensors:

The front sensors--one for each bank, designated as HO2S-11 and HO2S-12 (Heated O² Sensor bank 1/sensor 1 and bank 2/sensor 1)--are used directly by the PCM to control AFR in closed-loop operation.

The rear sensors (HO2S-12 and HO2S-22; bank 1/sensor 2 and bankl 2/sensor 2) are used only to monitor the catalytic converter efficiency--they have nothing to do with engine control. It is in monitoring the cats that the PCM (ECU) compares the output of the front and rear sensors, that is how the converter efficiency is tested--more about that here.

Turning off the rear sensors in the tune does just and only that, it does not "feed" the PCM any perfect voltage. In fact turning them off in the tune disables the catalytic converter monitoring which can be an automatic emissions test failure in some states.

In normal operation the cats store oxygen. This causes the output of the rear O² sensors to be of a lower voltage than the fronts, and also to "switch" more slowly. MIL Eliminators filter the output of the rear sensors to reduce the amplitude of their output and to add a bit of phase shift--this tricks the PCM into believing the cats are there and working--more about that here...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
What issue would the p602 cause?
None, it's just an annoyance that should not happen with a proper tune...

Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

None, it's just an annoyance that should not happen with a proper tune...
One less thing to worry about then lol
Old 11-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Well i've been properly schooled'
Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Both of you know more than I do haha. But that's why I ask a lot of questions on here, learn a lot that way.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did not mean it to come out that way, in between "doing it" I taught engineering for a stretch...

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did not mean it to come out that way, in between "doing it" I taught engineering for a stretch...
I simply meant that I learned something. You did not offend me in any way. I'm young and still have a lot to learn.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT