Thinking of seafoaming car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Thinking of seafoaming car

Hey guys went to auto parts store and could only find seafoaming spray I was wondering if this is as good as the liquid stuff I've seen used in videos. Also wondering if anyone's used this stuff and could give any tips.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2142463494.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	76571

Is it used the exact same way?
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I've also seen people pouring into a vacuum line an others spraying into the throttle body. Curious if both should b done or if doing one is better than the other. Also ppl add to the gas tank, wondering if the spray seafoam is safe to perform this

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

And I've seen ppl pour into oil so is it safe to use the spray kind on all three or should I return the spray and try to find some liquid seafoam
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212 View Post
Hey guys went to auto parts store and could only find seafoaming spray I was wondering if this is as good as the liquid stuff I've seen used in videos. Also wondering if anyone's used this stuff and could give any tips.

Attachment 76571

Is it used the exact same way?
More or less, yes, it's used the same way, same product, different delivery method. Check out the vendor videos from Seafoam for using it, they explain a bit more in detail. You can use it via the throttle body or vacuum line connected to your power brake booster.

I've used both and prefer the liquid, because I can control the amount i'm adding a little easier than an aerosol, and also know how much I've used. (half a can, 3/4, etc...which is hard to gauge with an aerosol)

Be careful not to use too much, less is more with the spray. I can tell you firsthand that once i used it on a 2005 Cadillac STS (at 100,000 miles) and used too much. It cleaned the engine so well that it caused my car to leak around the piston rings. Good=it cleaned it, Bad=it cleaned it so well that it burned off the buildup around my worn piston rings that was keeping the compression 100%, causing a bit of leaking. It wasn't a big deal, but when I'd start the car, it would smoke for about 20 seconds, then run just like normal.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM

More or less, yes, it's used the same way, same product, different delivery method. Check out the vendor videos from Seafoam for using it, they explain a bit more in detail. You can use it via the throttle body or vacuum line connected to your power brake booster.

I've used both and prefer the liquid, because I can control the amount i'm adding a little easier than an aerosol, and also know how much I've used. (half a can, 3/4, etc...which is hard to gauge with an aerosol)

Be careful not to use too much, less is more with the spray. I can tell you firsthand that once i used it on a 2005 Cadillac STS (at 100,000 miles) and used too much. It cleaned the engine so well that it caused my car to leak around the piston rings. Good=it cleaned it, Bad=it cleaned it so well that it burned off the buildup around my worn piston rings that was keeping the compression 100%, causing a bit of leaking. It wasn't a big deal, but when I'd start the car, it would smoke for about 20 seconds, then run just like normal.
I picked up the liquid kind I'm gunna go w that. So when u used too much how much did u use? And did u do all three methods...vacuum line,oil,gas tank??
Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212 View Post
I picked up the liquid kind I'm gunna go w that. So when u used too much how much did u use? And did u do all three methods...vacuum line,oil,gas tank??
That time, I used nearly the whole can, I used the spray aerosol one, and I didn't realize how much i'd used...It was one of the first times i'd done it and wasn't sure what I was doing. Since then i've researched it a ton and done it to several other vehicles successfully.

Now when I do it, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can, using the liquid version, and I put it in through the vacuum on the brake booster line. I use a small cup, putting the desired amount I want to use into it, then use a clear fuel line tube (it looks somewhat like aquarium tubing, but is made for fuel) with one end fed into the booster line, then the other end I slowly dip into the cup, while pinching the line to control the flow. More than a mist is usually too much and will make the car stall. I feed it in, then when i'm finished I shut the car off, reconnect the booster line, put the rest of the seafoam I have left in the bottle into the gas tank, and wait overnight to run the car again. The next day i'll usually top off the gas tank to mix up the seafoam. You'll also want to change your oil shortly after doing this, because that crap you burn off...some of it goes into the oil, and you don't want that in your engine.

Watch the videos online, you'll see what to expect. You'll have some smoking, etc, that's all normal, so are the increased performance and responsiveness after a treatment.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
That time, I used nearly the whole can, I used the spray aerosol one, and I didn't realize how much i'd used...It was one of the first times i'd done it and wasn't sure what I was doing. Since then i've researched it a ton and done it to several other vehicles successfully.

Now when I do it, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can, using the liquid version, and I put it in through the vacuum on the brake booster line. I use a small cup, putting the desired amount I want to use into it, then use a clear fuel line tube (it looks somewhat like aquarium tubing, but is made for fuel) with one end fed into the booster line, then the other end I slowly dip into the cup, while pinching the line to control the flow. More than a mist is usually too much and will make the car stall. I feed it in, then when i'm finished I shut the car off, reconnect the booster line, put the rest of the seafoam I have left in the bottle into the gas tank, and wait overnight to run the car again. The next day i'll usually top off the gas tank to mix up the seafoam. You'll also want to change your oil shortly after doing this, because that crap you burn off...some of it goes into the oil, and you don't want that in your engine.

Watch the videos online, you'll see what to expect. You'll have some smoking, etc, that's all normal, so are the increased performance and responsiveness after a treatment.
that's how i do it...it's part of my once a year major tune up process...

@op...i love the stuff and you'll be surprised how dirty your motor really is.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix

that's how i do it...it's part of my once a year major tune up process...

@op...i love the stuff and you'll be surprised how dirty your motor really is.
+1000...I was so skeptical about it before doing it, I had a bit if a rough idle, so decided to do it, put 1/3rd through the vacuum line and the rest in the gas....super smooth idle now, seafoam is now on my annual maintenance list.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Hey buddy I just read this and wanted to put my two cents in, because I actually have used the sea foam product. Yes I believe it works. Use the spray can u got, just disconnect a vacuum tube to your CAI. That way you clean your throttle body some what too, and do just like the video say, you know rev it up a lil then take it for a short spin. And you don't need to put any in your gas tank I didn't and turned out good results. I just wanted to back you on this idea, sea foam is not a bad product...

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright
Hey buddy I just read this and wanted to put my two cents in, because I actually have used the sea foam product. Yes I believe it works. Use the spray can u got, just disconnect a vacuum tube to your CAI. That way you clean your throttle body some what too, and do just like the video say, you know rev it up a lil then take it for a short spin. And you don't need to put any in your gas tank I didn't and turned out good results. I just wanted to back you on this idea, sea foam is not a bad product...
Oh yah forgot about the changing oil part too sorry...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT