Confusion..... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Confusion.....

So, a few weeks ago my car always turned off when I stopped at any stop sign or light.. Now as of today. It turns off when It heats up and it turns off when I do a sharp turn!! What do I do??
Israel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel98
So, a few weeks ago my car always turned off when I stopped at any stop sign or light.. Now as of today. It turns off when It heats up and it turns off when I do a sharp turn!! What do I do??
Run a scanner on it and see if any codes have popped!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I ran a scanner on it about 6 times and nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I ran a scanner on it about 6 times and nothing.
Does the car have a tune in it?..

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

And have you checked for vacuums leaks?...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel98 View Post
I might be totally off base here, but I had a similar issue with my 87 GT at one time. It ended up being a safety feature which was built into the car, in the event of an accident, it would shut off the engine after a crash. Whenever i'd hit a rough patch of road or a pothole, the car would shut off. Luckily it was a manual, so I would push in the clutch and restart it while rolling, and keep going. Talk about a pain in the butt...

Just a thought, might not be related to your issue, but I found the fix to my issue to be taking the steering column apart, replacing a well-worn ignition module and key lock, and then tightening everything up to resolve the issue. I don't know why or how it happened, other than wear and tear, but it fixed my specific issue & I hope my experience helps you with yours.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

And have you checked for vacuums leaks?...
I have checked for vaccum leaks n none
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM

I might be totally off base here, but I had a similar issue with my 87 GT at one time. It ended up being a safety feature which was built into the car, in the event of an accident, it would shut off the engine after a crash. Whenever i'd hit a rough patch of road or a pothole, the car would shut off. Luckily it was a manual, so I would push in the clutch and restart it while rolling, and keep going. Talk about a pain in the butt...

Just a thought, might not be related to your issue, but I found the fix to my issue to be taking the steering column apart, replacing a well-worn ignition module and key lock, and then tightening everything up to resolve the issue. I don't know why or how it happened, other than wear and tear, but it fixed my specific issue & I hope my experience helps you with yours.
Could be!... I know some cars, not sure what years exactly, do have a safety fuel shut off switch in the trunk!.. Sometimes it might get popped!...

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote:

I have checked for vaccum leaks n none
Check for bad grounds!..
Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah it's a big pain. Soo I replace the ignition switch and key lock??

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Well my car has a fuel switch but it isn't out :/
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah it's a big pain. Soo I replace the ignition switch and key lock??

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Well my car has a fuel switch but it isn't out :/

No, not saying it needs changed out, just a suggestion on areas to check.

Make sure all the connections and bolts on the column are tight. Nothing should be loose and want to wiggle around, that was my issue. My whole mechanism had to be replaced because it was so worn out and beat up that it was pretty loose, yours may be just fine, just something to keep in mind and check into.

+1 to check all your grounds, see they are all tight, and have connectivity without massive corrosion.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, not saying it needs changed out, just a suggestion on areas to check.

Make sure all the connections and bolts on the column are tight. Nothing should be loose and want to wiggle around, that was my issue. My whole mechanism had to be replaced because it was so worn out and beat up that it was pretty loose, yours may be just fine, just something to keep in mind and check into.

+1 to check all your grounds, see they are all tight, and have connectivity without massive corrosion.
I'll look into those hopefully it's that. It makes me want to give it away or something
Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll look into those hopefully it's that. It makes me want to give it away or something
Don't give it up, usually it's something small like that.

I once had a starter issue on my 87 that took me almost a week to figure out... I was ready to give it away too, so I feel your frustration. There was a starter relay UNDER my drivers seat (...yeah, i'd have found that..) I've wanted to beat a Ford engineer or two at times fixing & troubleshooting things, but in the end when it's fixed, there's no better feeling than a job well done.

When you get angry, frustrated, or feel hopeless, just walk away for a bit and get a fresh perspective on it.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't give it up, usually it's something small like that.

I once had a starter issue on my 87 that took me almost a week to figure out... I was ready to give it away too, so I feel your frustration. There was a starter relay UNDER my drivers seat (...yeah, i'd have found that..) I've wanted to beat a Ford engineer or two at times fixing & troubleshooting things, but in the end when it's fixed, there's no better feeling than a job well done.

When you get angry, frustrated, or feel hopeless, just walk away for a bit and get a fresh perspective on it.
+11
Old 11-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'll do as much as I can to fix and find the problem. I'll take your advice on all the other stuff thanks a lot lol
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Inspect the ECU to see if any wires have been chewed up or otherwise screwed with. If you already checked the inertia switch then that rules out my other suggestion. The shutting off when warmed up thing throws me for a loop.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Do u blow any fuses could be what happpened to me that the harness that runs by the egr tube burnt the wires to expose them and touches the tube in turn grounding it out and turning it off. Happened to me turning or goin up a slope as well

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121119_234451.png
Views:	74
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	76831
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang
Do u blow any fuses could be what happpened to me that the harness that runs by the egr tube burnt the wires to expose them and touches the tube in turn grounding it out and turning it off. Happened to me turning or goin up a slope as well
So it's the light black tape where it burnt right??
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No its the dark tape the light tape was oem
Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so the dark tape under the egr pipe right?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Did you need to get a new harness or what did you do?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I retaped all the wires individually then retaped that part of the harness. Shrink wrap works best but i didnt have any at that time so i half a**ed it

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

And its the dark tape above ege tube. If u look at the zip tie ull see the part of where the harness i redid was touching ill post a pic up in a few pointing it out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT