Glasspack Informational Thread - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glasspack Informational Thread

I've gotten a lot of questions recently about glass packs on our stangs so I thought I'd give my input.

Pricing:
I have two 18" Magnaflow glass packs welded in place of my stock mufflers, the total cost of it all was $60. I'm a high school junior so I don't walk around with bags full of cash so this price was good enough for me. You can definately do it cheaper if you install yourself.

Sound:
How do they sound? Well sound is all opinion, I love all sounds flow master, pypes, borla, slp, ect. I go to local muscle car meets and I've heard it all. Glasspacks are great IMO I was skeptical at fist about putting them on but I'm in love with them now. They have a grumbly deep tone and they are silent while cruising. They only make noise on acceleration. They really scream at anything 2000+ I love it. They sound very similar to SLP LM1s. They have gotten louder since they were first installed because of the packing burnig out. As for the volume they are pretty loud but with the stock H pipe its not bad at all. I experience just as much drone on the highway as the stock mufflers had so drone isn't an issue.

My final verdict is if you want them, try them! There dirt cheap so if you don't like then its no big loss. There a great option if your saving for a system and you want a little more sound in the meantime.

I'll be posting a like here at the botton of some soundclips. Cheers and happy thanksgiving everyone!

Skip to 2:00 on this video and watch the bloopers if you have a mech fetish

Heres a dedicated video
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Are they the Magna packs? Thats what I've got and I think their real similar to borla and the pype bomb cat back
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Do you still have cats?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yup all 4 stock cats on the stock H

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor98gt View Post
Are they the Magna packs? Thats what I've got and I think their real similar to borla and the pype bomb cat back
Nope just glasspacks, they will soiund similar to any other generic glasspack
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Spray some water in the tips, and really bring them babys to life.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I plan to do that soon! Probably tomorrow mornig, and I'll make a before and after video if it makes a huge difference
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What does spraying water on tips do?

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Louder
Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm assuming it makes it louder from what you guys said. I guess my question is why/how does it make it louder? And I would assume it only works with glasspacks?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
Louder
I got that lol

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT
I'm assuming it makes it louder from what you guys said. I guess my question is why/how does it make it louder? And I would assume it only works with glasspacks?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I got that lol
It breaks up the fiberglass packing inside of the glass pack. The packing muffles the sound. When the cold water meets a hot glasspack it break the fiberglass
Old 11-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh, that makes sense. How to do get the water back to the mufflers? Seems like you would have to a significant amount of water pressure to go up the pipes over the axel and to the mufflers.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'm going to break mine in tomorrow I'm just going to put the hose up midway give it a little then start it back up and rev it out.
I hope there won't be any damages I'm going to research some more to be safe
Old 11-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Let me know how it turns out

Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I sure will, I just hope they aren't to obnoxious, because I know they get louder and there pretty loud already
Old 11-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hey guys I have an 02gt with an off road x-pipe (no cats) and dual cherry bomb Glasspacks. I also have shorty headers. They are really loud and it was cheap and I love em. Here's a sound clip. Tell me what you guys think

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I can honestly say I have the loudest car in the area when I hit it. But cruising they are almost silent.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I'm running MagnaPacks no cats and people actually follow me to ask what kind of exhaust I have.

No popping either.
WheelStander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
I'm running MagnaPacks no cats and people actually follow me to ask what kind of exhaust I have.

No popping either.
+1 I love mine, they are kind of.tame at idle but when you get in it it'll make people behind you ears bleed lol. Best 100 I've ever spent
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'm updating this thread for the people that still Google "Mustang GT With Glasspacks"

Here is The glasspack weld ins with the Rear two catalytic converters removed.

This Setup was actually really nice because it didn't drone on the highway and still had a somewhat refined tone when you weren't on the gas.

I decided to cut the last two cats out of my stock h and make it a fully Off-Road mid pipe and this was the result with glasspack weld ins.

This Setup is extremely loud, i cannot begin to explain the volume it has when your on the glass, but when your normally driving its not bad inside the car. This is for people who want something loud, raspy, poppy and just pissed off sounding. And beware of any highway trips, on a two hour drive my dad had to bring along shooting earmuffs so the drone wouldn't give him a headache.

I'm a high school kid so this exhaust is just what i like, when i grow up a bit ill probably switch to something more reasonable like MAC or Magnaflow.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Stock headers, O/R X and magnapacks on my cobra.
Anything under 2k sounds just a little louder than stock.
Anything above 2k starts to get loud and raspy.
I mean this thing is loud loud loud, WOT pulls and I've had a friend call me from her house a mile away and told me she heard it. Making bridge passes WOT, with my windows down nearly deafen me.

I wish I could add video from my camera roll, and not a YouTube channel.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man id love to hear that, that's how the or/h and glasspacks are, under 2k there pretty mellow but over 2k its just screaming, i bet yours sounds like pure sex with that 4v.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My GT came with straight pipes and glass packs lol loud as crap, sounded ugly too lol
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post
Yeah man id love to hear that, that's how the or/h and glasspacks are, under 2k there pretty mellow but over 2k its just screaming, i bet yours sounds like pure sex with that 4v.
It's what most people say is a "race car sound"
It's mean.
I got the whole set up for $300 dollars, with install.
Only problem is the mid pipe rubs my frame.
But, I think I'll be going with a more tame exhaust next.
Longtubes, O/R X or O/R prochamber paired with bassini chambered CB.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
My GT came with straight pipes and glass packs lol loud as crap, sounded ugly too lol
Yeah i have to admit they really don't have a nice sound to them, with cats they were alright, but with an off-road pipe they are blatty and just don't have any tone, I think they would sound better with an X too, h doesn't smooth out the sound enough.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Here is an update to this thread i made long ago. These are all with the car having a custom O/R H and 16 inch glasspacks with a 12 inch body. I still love the exhaust, my dad has to wear shooting muffs on the highway due to drone.

Skip to 1:50 To see a brief sound clip

Old 01-31-2015, 01:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post
I'm updating this thread for the people that still Google "Mustang GT With Glasspacks"

Here is The glasspack weld ins with the Rear two catalytic converters removed.

This Setup was actually really nice because it didn't drone on the highway and still had a somewhat refined tone when you weren't on the gas.

I decided to cut the last two cats out of my stock h and make it a fully Off-Road mid pipe and this was the result with glasspack weld ins.

This Setup is extremely loud, i cannot begin to explain the volume it has when your on the glass, but when your normally driving its not bad inside the car. This is for people who want something loud, raspy, poppy and just pissed off sounding. And beware of any highway trips, on a two hour drive my dad had to bring along shooting earmuffs so the drone wouldn't give him a headache.

I'm a high school kid so this exhaust is just what i like, when i grow up a bit ill probably switch to something more reasonable like MAC or Magnaflow.

Beautiful sound omg

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
richie895 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT