PROF. Installed New Vortech Kit Blew My Engine in Under 20 Miles - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #1

Region: California
PROF. Installed New Vortech Kit Blew My Engine in Under 20 Miles

Hi,

I have a 2003 Mustang GT with about 65K miles on it. No mods other than CAT-Back exhaust. I just had a new Vortech High Output, intercooled kit installed on my car by a motorsports shop in San Jose that has been in business over 10 years (computer was sent to Vortech to have them install their tune). I picked my car up Friday, which was May 2nd at 7:30 pm.

I drove it a few miles, picked up my girlfriend, took it on the highway, and was in fourth gear switching to fifth, when I heard a ticking noise. I immediately went to cover the brake, and in that instant there was a loud noise, followed by white smoke. This all happened in under 20 miles.

I had it towed to the shop, and they say a connecting rod went through the block. Now the shop is pointing the finger at Vortech, and Vortech is pointing the finger at the shop, and no-one is willing to help me out in any way. Now I am quoted an engine swap, that is about $5K with parts and labor.

My question is what I should do? What is the point of paying out the nose for a new supercharger from one of the most established companies, then paying out the nose for a professional installation, only to have the engine blow in under 20 miles?

Please help!!! Any ideas will help. I have never abused my car, and now I have to put the entire engine swap on credit cards at high interest because I spent all my cash on what I thought was a reliable set up.
cgel12866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: PROF. Installed New Vortech Kit Blew My Engine in Under 20 Miles

THat sucks about your car, but I hope you weren't going into boost in 5th gear....bad idea.

Vortech tune on a car is also a bad idea. You can't tune a car by sending a computer away to get tuned. Every car is different, I've seen saleen S/C tunes be pig rich and very dangerously lean on cars with the same setup.

What I think happened was a rod was on its way out, and the extra boost took it out.

OUt of curiousity, how much boost were you running? IF it was more than 8-10 psi, your motor was on borrowed time anyhow with stock internals, good tune or not.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

If you were driving normally when it went.. any sign of oil leakage around the oil feed/return lines to the SC? Might be worth trying to find out before the shop sees their mistake (if this is the case) and cleans it up

Also, you can get a reman motor, or used motor, etc, etc.. or even a performance built short block for less than $5k..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
If you were driving normally when it went.. any sign of oil leakage around the oil feed/return lines to the SC? Might be worth trying to find out before the shop sees their mistake (if this is the case) and cleans it up

Also, you can get a reman motor, or used motor, etc, etc.. or even a performance built short block for less than $5k..
+1 A bullet proof Boss 330 short block is ~3500 from Lethal Performance. Several other builders have them for around that as well fully forged and ready for boost.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I wouldnt pay 5k for another stock gt engine to go back in it. I also would not suck up all the cost either since it happened in only 20 miles.... if the shop that did the install for you is as good as you say... then they wouldnt have let you drive off with a CAN tune from vortech.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
I wouldnt pay 5k for another stock gt engine to go back in it. I also would not suck up all the cost either since it happened in only 20 miles.... if the shop that did the install for you is as good as you say... then they wouldnt have let you drive off with a CAN tune from vortech.
Very Good Point !!! Most good shops would use the vortech tune as a guide line for a real tune

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Road Trip!

im guessing by high output kit, you mean 10+ psi which is a little much like venom stated, if this is the case, the shop should have known better than to run that kit, if a customer of ours insists on running something rediculous, they have to sign a waiver.i would try to get the shop to come up with the amount for a new gt long block, then you take up the rest of the money to do a forged bottomend.

wut up rob?
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« CAI | new cams »