Electrical Challenge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Region: California
Electrical Challenge

Hello everyone-
Hoping you folks can help me with strange “goings on” with my fuse boxes, cruise control, TRAC control, cigarette lighter, accessory port, fog lights, sex lif… errr, nevermind on that one. ;D

Here’s the scoop. I picked up a 2000 hardtop GT, manual tranny, with seized engine due to tweaked timing chain tensioner. I have a totaled 2000 convertible GT with A/T (18 year old son, ‘nuff said), engine not damaged. Convertible engine went into hardtop. Unfortunately I don’t know what the hardtop’s electrical history is.

Once we got the engine in, started fine and runs like a champ. Problem is, the lighter and accessory plug don’t work, the fog light switch doesn’t light up and the fog lamps don’t turn on. Additionally, the TRAC control switch doesn’t light, and all aspects of cruise control are non- existent.

So, I started by checking underdash fuses, which was even more confusing for me. First off, all fuses were visually integral and correct amperage. Where it gets strange is, after visual I put the lighted screwdriver to each one, and the following fuses do not light the screwdriver up BUT the related accessory still works:

Fuse 4 – Right low beam headlamp (10 amp)
Fuse 10 – Left low beam headlamp (10 amp)
Fuse 35 – Shift Lock Actuator, PCM, Speed Control Servo, ABS Module (15 amp) – assume this is working because I can start and drive my car just fine
Fuse 37 – Adjustable Illuminator (10 amp)
Fuse 38 – High Beams (20 amp)
Fuse 41 – Brake Lamp (15 amp)

I double checked each of the above slots by replacing with a new fuse, just to see what would happen. The replacement fuses don’t light I then checked the fuse box in engine compartment, and all light up fine. I didn’t check relays as I’m not sure how (resistance check?).

Can anyone lend a hand here? Really stumped.

Phoo
awwphooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Are you testing then with the engine running?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #3

Yes- well, with the key on anyway
awwphooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Does the vert and hard top have the same feautures? Im more than sure manuals only have trac and autos dont. Fogs maybe one had them another doesnt and probably missin relays. I would check the ones that dont light up first and see if there is any terminals in the slots for the fuses along as check the ones in the engine bay. Lighter one is in the engine bay if i remember correctly

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Make sure both cars have the same things. One could be basic while the other loaded. Just read again and u have checked the fuses in the engine bay so i would start by making sure all are the same. The hardtop may not even have wheel speed sensors on its hubs but cross check all the accesories first to see what the hard top came with stock
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The engine has to be running for thise fuses to be one
Old 12-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66
The engine has to be running for thise fuses to be one
Engine does not necessarily have to be running most pf the functions hes trying to test are possible with the key on engine off to diagnose them. U dont need the car running to test fogs and other accessories.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well i was working on my friends truck and have the fuses wouldn't work till the engine was running
Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66
Well i was working on my friends truck and have the fuses wouldn't work till the engine was running
Could be fuses to injectors or coils...then i agree with some do jave to have the motor running

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT