Questions regarding the 4.6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Questions regarding the 4.6

Hy everyone, yet again it's time for my winter project on my 04 gt, the mods I have on it are
17lb from procharger
BBR Long tube headers and x pipe w/ flowmaster catback
Stage 3 exedy clutch and flywheel
3.90 rear end gears
Full control arms and lowering springs
Diablo tuned
Carbonfiber drive shaft
And a few others I forgot to list.
Was wondering if I could get some advice from you guy cause I want to make the 4.6 a 5.0 don't know how reliable that makes the walls and what not but was wondering if I could get some pointers and if I could get some pointers on what heads, valves, springs, retainers, and cams I should get that would work with my force induction. Thanks
ArmyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Im subscribing to find out as well ive questioned the integrity of the block sometimes to wonder if i should stroke it to a 5.0
Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Most stroker kits use standard bore pistons, with the displacement coming off the larger stroke off the crank, the engine I just built and then dropped a valve and chewed the piston up was a dss racing 5.0 stroker kit and it came with standard bore pistons.. It's worth the money, I'm goin to sell my shortblock and I just ordered the aluminator, I wish I could have afforded to buy 4v stroker crate engine
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

From what i have read and seen, people prefer to go big bore over stroker. Read up on it. But for that case you would want a teksid so you can sleeve it. Thats where the big power is from what i understand. And ive always done .20-30 over bore with stroker kits. Stroker kits are nearly a waste of money from what i had been researching for modular applications
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 stroke kit is suppose to give you another 60hp, which is a great starting point on any build, 4.6 blocks are actually really strong, you could go 5.1 or 5.3l big bore kit without sleeving.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428
5.0 stroke kit is suppose to give you another 60hp, which is a great starting point on any build, 4.6 blocks are actually really strong, you could go 5.1 or 5.3l big bore kit without sleeving.
And k&n intake says 15-25 hp but we all know it doesnt add anything.... I thibk mm&ff did a write up of stroker vs big bore a while back and said stroker was virtually a waste of money. And have you ever built a modular? They have quite thin cylinder walls. Which is why when people do a large bore they go teksid
Old 12-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01

And k&n intake says 15-25 hp but we all know it doesnt add anything.... I thibk mm&ff did a write up of stroker vs big bore a while back and said stroker was virtually a waste of money. And have you ever built a modular? They have quite thin cylinder walls. Which is why when people do a large bore they go teksid
Yep I have built 1, and I've ran the 5.0 stroke kit
Old 12-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks guys, was wondering if there is a good place to order the bore kit.

And what about some good heads and cams and valve train for my F.I.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Trickflow is the best way to go for heads, and for the stroke kits there is dss racing, coast high performance, modular mustang racing (mmr), livernoise performance... All are great places. For cams what kind of F.I you goin
Old 12-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've got a teksid block if anyone is interested if so pm me on here
taylor98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for late response got really busy at work die to pre deployment. And I have a stage three procharger all ready on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Stroker kits plus FI equals a lot of headaches down the road. MMR themselves will tell you that putting a stroker kit on an FI car will GREATLY reduce the engines life. And as said above the gains are pretty much worthless. You're much better off to just pulley down one more size and pick up a couple extra pounds of boost
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't suggest anyone go with mmr... Far as I'm concerned all they make is junk IMO... But I can say that for a stroke kit that it's worth the money, if it's 5.0 or bigger. Just with cams, factory pi heads, intake, throttle body and 8:1 compression with 5.0 stroker kit my car laid down 355rwhp... That was setup for boost but before I had the turbos installed
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

All they make is junk?? Ive personally seen 4 of their motors put to work and they have never disappointed! They do great work. 2 of those 4 are now in track cars that lay down over 900hp each with over 28lbs of boost. Junk is just about the last thing I would call them. And once again, anyone with any real experience will tell you that a stroker with FI will greatly reduce the engines life. Putting $10,000 into a fully built motor is a big commitment, is the extra 20hp really worth sacrificing the life of your motor and your wallet? Not to me... Ill just pulley down and pull ya on the top end
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson
All they make is junk?? Ive personally seen 4 of their motors put to work and they have never disappointed! They do great work. 2 of those 4 are now in track cars that lay down over 900hp each with over 28lbs of boost. Junk is just about the last thing I would call them. And once again, anyone with any real experience will tell you that a stroker with FI will greatly reduce the engines life. Putting $10,000 into a fully built motor is a big commitment, is the extra 20hp really worth sacrificing the life of your motor and your wallet? Not to me... Ill just pulley down and pull ya on the top end
All very true. I have run MMR stuff several times and never had an issue. I have had several small black and mod strokers as well and would never waste my money again unless on a small block. Mod strokers are just not worth it and as cody stated far less reliable and even more of a hassle to tun correctly.

And 355wheel on 8.1 compression with only cams? That must be one high reading dyno. I barely made that with my .30 4.6 with 9.5 compression, ported heads with larger valves, cams, longtubes, ported eddy intake with a 6061 plenum, ect. And i can tell you from my previous stroker with basically same setup there is only about 5hp difference with a stroker kit. With high boost you are talking maybe 20hp difference but far less reliable and a ***** to tune. Not to mention added build cost. Like cody said, a pulley is much cheaper and will net you a lot more power
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
All very true. I have run MMR stuff several times and never had an issue. I have had several small black and mod strokers as well and would never waste my money again unless on a small block. Mod strokers are just not worth it and as cody stated far less reliable and even more of a hassle to tun correctly.

And 355wheel on 8.1 compression with only cams? That must be one high reading dyno. I barely made that with my .30 4.6 with 9.5 compression, ported heads with larger valves, cams, longtubes, ported eddy intake with a 6061 plenum, ect. And i can tell you from my previous stroker with basically same setup there is only about 5hp difference with a stroker kit. With high boost you are talking maybe 20hp difference but far less reliable and a ***** to tune. Not to mention added build cost. Like cody said, a pulley is much cheaper and will net you a lot more power
Couldn't say it any better! And I wasn't even going to mention the dyno but since the cats out of the bag, I very highly doubt you made 355 at the wheels NA with 8.0:1 CR. I don't care what the mods are, that would be a miracle. I would love to put my car on that dyno lol
Old 12-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

It was a mustang dyno... And I say mmr is junk from personal experience, my 11 grand engine that made 355 to the ground is now junk from a set of there springs.. And thats the second set from them that broke. Like I said just my opinion on them, I'm sure there are ppl out there that absolutely love that place, I'm just not 1 of them. That was only partial parts list that I was running. To get that number I wasn't on pump gas.. Especially on that low of compression.. I just gave my opinion on what I thought of the kits, and if I would have had the money I would have bought a stroker kit again
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyw428 View Post
It was a mustang dyno... And I say mmr is junk from personal experience, my 11 grand engine that made 355 to the ground is now junk from a set of there springs.. And thats the second set from them that broke. Like I said just my opinion on them, I'm sure there are ppl out there that absolutely love that place, I'm just not 1 of them. That was only partial parts list that I was running. To get that number I wasn't on pump gas.. Especially on that low of compression.. I just gave my opinion on what I thought of the kits, and if I would have had the money I would have bought a stroker kit again
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them but they have millions of satisfied customers out there and they are known as one of the absolute best in the business. And any engine builder will also tell you they are not responsible for a parts failure. If it were a clearance issue or something Of that nature then sure, but a broke spring really isn't their fault. Especially if you are running race gas and a forced induction setup
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That goes with any company, just between 2 sets breakin on 2 different setups.... 1 was on the n/a setup.. The other when I was running fi... And guy that had a lightning I know had a shortblock from them and never could get that thing to stop burnin oil, didn't burn oil when everything was on the stock block, but switched out short blocks and burned oil bad... Just my opinion on them
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Good luck
03fastblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT