High mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
High mileage

I'm looking at a 2002 gt that has 174k miles on it. I was wondering if I bought it and switched out all the internals and such with a summit racing engine rebuild kit do you think that would keep the engine running longer and not die on me? I'm just trying to figure out how I can get a cheaper gt and keep it running for a long time
Dogbitdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
It's not the internals you should be scared of. Its the sensors, wiring and all that. Slapping a engine rebuild kit is a good piece of mind but you also have the old sensor to contend with.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Would you think that it would be a safe bet to say i could do the internals and replace the more important ones and then the lessers deal with once they go out?
Dogbitdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My 2 cents. Depending on how the car runs now would determine what changes you really need to make. Are you blowing smoke out the pipe when you start up? Is the engine misfiring? Has the engine felt like it lost power, especially on up gentle grades? Is there an engine knock? Does the cylinder head(s) emit a knock/tick? How old is your car? Has it been raced a lot? How good is your transmission, is it worn and restricting power transfer to the rear end? Does your engine lope at idle? If you want to rebuild, start with the heads. If you do rebuild, build up. If you can get more from an engine swap, do so unless you want to keep your stock engine. If you swap, do swap up to the 5.4 ltr. It's a beast.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbitdude
I'm looking at a 2002 gt that has 174k miles on it. I was wondering if I bought it and switched out all the internals and such with a summit racing engine rebuild kit do you think that would keep the engine running longer and not die on me? I'm just trying to figure out how I can get a cheaper gt and keep it running for a long time
Bought a 1999 mustang v6 with 215xxx and a rebuilt title to boot. The car was awesome an loved it every second till I traded for my 99 cobra lol
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT