Rear Pads and Rotors Replacement help.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Rear Pads and Rotors Replacement help..

Need new rear pads and rotors, local shop labor rate is a bit high IMO, what do I need to accomplish this task myself? Gonna take a ride to the parts store after work today to get all necessary supplies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Pads, rotors (if they are warped or cracked etc.), and brake caliper tool!.. That last one you can rent from Autozone!.. A good jack and some jack stands!..

Question is have you done brakes before?..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You need brake fluid and need a bleed tool or a friend to help you bleed them, brake grease, and new brake shims.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Just make sure you get the tool. I bought one because they are fairly cheap.

You have to turn the piston while you press down, it's not very difficult
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post
You need brake fluid and need a bleed tool or a friend to help you bleed them, brake grease, and new brake shims.
If your just replacing the pads and rotors then you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes!.. Brake grease really isn't needed!.. I've done brakes with and without it and there's no difference!.. New shims should come with the new pads!.. I know they don't always, but unless the old ones are bent, broken, or otherwise damaged, the old ones will still work just fine!..
Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post

If your just replacing the pads and rotors then you shouldn't need to bleed the brakes!.. Brake grease really isn't needed!.. I've done brakes with and without it and there's no difference!.. New shims should come with the new pads!.. I know they don't always, but unless the old ones are bent, broken, or otherwise damaged, the old ones will still work just fine!..
when doing a brake job, using new shims and grease is suggested... it is an extra $3 So why would you cheap out? Any time that you depress the caliper, you should bleed the brakes. shims dont come with the cheap brake pads and the cheap pads won't last as long. why would you cheap out on a part that is vital to safety? Brakes are needed to stop any vehicle, especially a small powerhouse like the GT. You are already saving money by doing it yourself so don't be cheap.
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict View Post

when doing a brake job, using new shims and grease is suggested... it is an extra $3 So why would you cheap out? Any time that you depress the caliper, you should bleed the brakes. shims dont come with the cheap brake pads and the cheap pads won't last as long. why would you cheap out on a part that is vital to safety? Brakes are needed to stop any vehicle, especially a small powerhouse like the GT. You are already saving money by doing it yourself so don't be cheap.
I'm just saying what is needed and is not needed!.. Plus some of your more expensive pads don't come with new shims either!.. That's why I said I know some of your new pads don't come with new shims!..
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordAddict

Shouldnt have to bleed brakes during a change unless air was somehow let in the line...depressing caliper doesnt let air in. Grease is a waste of $$ 2 imo. Brakes are easy, have fun learning, you'll never let anyone do them 4 ya again
fomoco4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bit if confusion here hahaha, appreciate the help tho guys..so new pads, rotors, caliber tool, socket set, jack and stands and I should be good to go?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Bit if confusion here hahaha, appreciate the help tho guys..so new pads, rotors, caliber tool, socket set, jack and stands and I should be good to go?
Yes!.. And another thing I would suggest getting is a Haynes Manuel!.. It will walk you step by step on almost every repair on your car!..

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post

Shouldnt have to bleed brakes during a change unless air was somehow let in the line...depressing caliper doesnt let air in. Grease is a waste of $$ 2 imo. Brakes are easy, have fun learning, you'll never let anyone do them 4 ya again
+11.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Could I just use a big c clamp rather than dishing out the money for the caliper tool?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Could I just use a big c clamp rather than dishing out the money for the caliper tool?
No you have to have that tool to twist the caliper back in
sally2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You could if you really want to spend a whole day doing your brakes!.. Autozone rents out different ones!..

I did a set of brakes with just a couple pairs of pliers!.. Literally took all day!.. Never again!.. Lol
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I,ve always done my own brakes rotors and pads without bleeding them.Not very hard at all go on you tube you should find a step by step guide on how to do them..
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
You can rent the tool! You have to give a $100 deposit but you get your money back when you return it
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I use a c clamp with no issues everytime I do brakes. Put a black of wood on the caliper so you push on both pistons equally and push em in. Easy to do and doesn't take long at all. Caliper tool will work too but isn't at all necessary. C clamp and thin block of wood works perfectly

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post

I use a c clamp with no issues everytime I do brakes. Put a black of wood on the caliper so you push on both pistons equally and push em in. Easy to do and doesn't take long at all. Caliper tool will work too but isn't at all necessary. C clamp and thin block of wood works perfectly
The E-brake is integrated into the rear caliper. When you pull the e-brake lever the piston twists out.. It needs to twist in or else it's not going in at all.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT

He's talking about the rear brakes!..

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

I do a very similar thing when working on the front brakes!..
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Oops... Misread. Disregard what I said

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Oops... Misread. Disregard what I said
It's all dude!.. Lol
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The piston needs to be turned in, thats why you need the caliper tool. You do not need to bleed your brakes.
yugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #22

You could just buy a rubix cube tool from any auto parts store, I believe it's only 5$ and does the same thing.
Insan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
+1 on the runic cube tool, I've used both the cube and a disc brake tool kit, both accomplish the same thing but the tool kit has many adapters to use on many different vehicles
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I know it may be a day late and a dollar short but one thing I didn't see mentioned is a tire chalk. Whenever jacking up a vehicle it is never a bad idea to chalk a wheel on the opposite end and opposite side of the car. (E.g. if jacking up the left front corner, chalk the right rear tire) Especially when removing brakes that hold a vehicle in place while it's jacked up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT