Adjustable Cable ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Adjustable Cable ???

OK I got my clutch replaced and I got a Steeda adjustable cable kit. My problem is I can't get my peddle where I want it. If I turn the firewall adjuster inward my peddle is grabbing where I want it, but my peddle is floppy and loose....(that's what she said). When I turn it outward the peddle is stiff and like it should be, but grabs very late. What's going on? Should I adjust where the fork is at after I get the peddle where I like it?

I saw a post where Azure posted about clutch free play was fixed by a spring bought at a hardware store. I was going to try this tomorrow but need some input.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Sounds like your quadrant may be the issue
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Sounds like your quadrant may be the issue
How's that? It's brand new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09

How's that? It's brand new.
There are different ones, I went through a few before finding the best fit. Current one is a three hook setup from steeda
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It's pedal...

You need to use the firewall adjuster to attain 1" to 1-3/8" free play in the pedal. The overall mechanical advantage of the clutch controls, from the pedal to the TOB, is very close to 10:1; adjusting the free play for 1" to 1-3/8" at the pedal will achieve the recommended 0.125" TOB to clutch spring finger clearance.

Other than within a very small range the firewall adjuster, or the cable's adjustable stud, cannot be used to move the engagement point where you would like it to be--that's not what they can or were intended to do. The engagement/disengagement point will be where they will be once the cable is properly adjusted...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
It's pedal...

You need to use the firewall adjuster to attain 1" to 1-3/8" free play in the pedal. The overall mechanical advantage of the clutch controls, from the pedal to the TOB, is very close to 10:1; adjusting the free play for 1" to 1-3/8" at the pedal will achieve the recommended 0.125" TOB to clutch spring finger clearance.

Other than within a very small range the firewall adjuster, or the cable's adjustable stud, cannot be used to move the engagement point where you would like it to be--that's not what they can or were intended to do. The engagement/disengagement point will be where they will be once the cable is properly adjusted...
Ok first off auto correct.....so thanks language teacher.

I have been using the firewall adjuster as explained in my initial post. But the closer I make it to where I want my "pedal" to catch the looser it feels, it dangles. But the tighter I make the "pedal" it doesn't catch until almost completely extended. So what I'm saying is the firewall adjuster is working but there is too much free play in the "pedal". So how do I fix the free play? Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Ok first off auto correct.....so thanks language teacher.

I have been using the firewall adjuster as explained in my initial post. But the closer I make it to where I want my "pedal" to catch the looser it feels, it dangles. But the tighter I make the "pedal" it doesn't catch until almost completely extended. So what I'm saying is the firewall adjuster is working but there is too much free play in the "pedal". So how do I fix the free play? Thanks
I cannot help it I taught engineering for several years, and proper communication makes everyone's job much easier. Peddle is a verb meaning the act of offering something for sale, generally in a transient or not otherwise established marketplace.

That aside, you need to adjust the cable so that there is 1" to 1-3/8" of free play in the pedal--press on the pedal with the ball of your hand, it should move that distance before you feel the TOB contact the clutch spring fingers.

Once that is done the cable is properly adjusted and you need to learn to drive the car with the clutch disengaging and engaging where it will, which should be about in the middle of the pedals range. You can tighten or loosen the cable a bit to move the engagement point a little bit, however you may not be able to move it to where you like if you want it very high or very low. Basically "it is what it is"...

Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

I cannot help it I taught engineering for several years, and proper communication makes everyone's job much easier. Peddle is a verb meaning the act of offering something for sale, generally in a transient or not otherwise established marketplace.

That aside, you need to adjust the cable so that there is 1" to 1-3/8" of free play in the pedal--press on the pedal with the ball of your hand, it should move that distance before you feel the TOB contact the clutch spring fingers.

Once that is done the cable is properly adjusted and you need to learn to drive the car with the clutch disengaging and engaging where it will, which should be about in the middle of the pedals range. You can tighten or loosen the cable a bit to move the engagement point a little bit, however you may not be able to move it to where you like if you want it very high or very low. Basically "it is what it is"...
Sorry just hate when people get on here to judge how people spell, stick to the point... The clutch cable adjuster is suppose to allow adjustment for the driver to have a comfortable feel of the pedal also. Ford will tell you and many other mechanics will say our cars are suppose to engage about 1.25" to 1.5" mine is about 2.25 not cool. So I don't what to "make do" or just live with it. Im not like that and it's not advertised like that. So I want to know what am I doing wrong.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Sorry just hate when people get on here to judge how people spell, stick to the point... The clutch cable adjuster is suppose to allow adjustment for the driver to have a comfortable feel of the pedal also. Ford will tell you and many other mechanics will say our cars are suppose to engage about 1.25" to 1.5" mine is about 2.25 not cool. So I don't what to "make do" or just live with it. Im not like that and it's not advertised like that. So I want to know what am I doing wrong.
I apologise for offending you, I hope you get the problem straightened out to your satisfaction--it would seem I do not know as much about the issue as Ford and "many other mechanics"--you should perhaps consult with them...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT