96 gt 4.6 intake gaskets question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Region: Texas
96 gt 4.6 intake gaskets question

is there any way possible to get water in the oil if the INTAKE gaskets are bad on my 96 gt 4.6 liter ???
lgw8471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #2

Region: North Dakota
Yes, an intake gasket can leak into the cylinders if this is happening get it fixed or you could end up with a lot getting in and hydro locking which can in turn bend valves
Dammen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

thanks for the reply ....i was told on these mustangs that since its got a closed valley under intake that theres no way for water getting into the oil if intake gasket is blown ....which i know its blown i can feel where its wet in the back....have u heard about this on the 96s? thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Well if the intake gasket breach is at the intake runner then antifreeze can in via the intake valve, then it leaks down the cylinder wall into the oil. Usually it will also burn some off so you could get some white smoke out the exhaust.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgw8471
thanks for the reply ....i was told on these mustangs that since its got a closed valley under intake that theres no way for water getting into the oil if intake gasket is blown ....which i know its blown i can feel where its wet in the back....have u heard about this on the 96s? thanks for the help
Just did a head swap. The metal neck in front is separate from the air intake minus it's attachment to connect the two heads. The rear plastic return is the problem. Torque is 10 inch lbs. not following the torque sequence and torque can cause it to break under stress from expansion and contraction of the heads. Hence antifreeze leakage. Problem is adapters are built onto the intake.

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammen8
Well if the intake gasket breach is at the intake runner then antifreeze can in via the intake valve, then it leaks down the cylinder wall into the oil. Usually it will also burn some off so you could get some white smoke out the exhaust.
White smoke meaning, unburnt oil mixed with antifreeze getting past the valves and dumping on the manifold causing the smoke cloud.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Sorry my bad! How long ago did you replace the heads? Is there antifreeze present in the oil?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammen8
Sorry my bad! How long ago did you replace the heads? Is there antifreeze present in the oil?
Lgw8471 owns the thread. Not me. No prob. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #8

ok so i changed intake gaskets lat night......ran great for a few till it got up to operating temp......water is still coming out the exhaust.....so im guessing headgaskets ???thanks for the help

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

and its running about 180 degrees not overheatin?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

What you mean by water coming out the exhaust??? Is it antifreeze? If so, that engine wouldn't start. Sure u ain't confusing condensation caused by functional Cats? Antifreeze in the oil will be noticeable only in the oil pan, and misfiring of the engine. Get my drift? Reform ulster your question, please.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT