Fuel Smart? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

JCOB72 is unknown around these parts
Fuel Smart?

Has anyone used this? It sounds interesting.

http://www.fuelsmart.info/

Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

cliffyk is unknown around these parts
Horseshìt...

If this magic were possible why would Ford have not incorporated it into the tune?

After all they pay fines to the EPA for not meeting the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards, if this snake-oil could actually improve fuel economy it would have been pretty stupid of them to not take advantage of it...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

1lowGT is unknown around these parts
You drive a mustang... Not a hybrid.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Eturner is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Horseshìt...

If this magic were possible why would Ford have not incorporated it into the tune?

After all they pay fines to the EPA for not meeting the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards, if this snake-oil could actually improve fuel economy it would have been pretty stupid of them to not take advantage of it...

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
+11
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

lowflyn is unknown around these parts
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
After reading through the site it might work, I would be worried about longevity with starving cylinders. You are basically running 2 or more cylinders lean which will build excessive heat in those cylinders.

In theory, however, this should work just fine.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Thread wouldn't be the same without you.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

1lowGT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOB72

Thanks for the input! Thread wouldn't be the same without you.
Lol. Just a quick reminder.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol. Just a quick reminder.
I saw the commercial on tv and wondered if anyone tried it. It never crossed my mind to buy one. Aren't there newer cars that kind of use the same technology?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It is an ill-conceived all-electronic version of the cylinder deactivation schemes tried by two or three automakers in the early 80s, however then it was done properly by leaving the valves closed on cylinders to be deactivated creating a compress/release air spring that was a near net power loss.

There is a good WIKI article about it here.

The problem with the Fuel Smart device is that all it does is disable injectors. As it is not possible on our cars to control the valve opening and closing, the "deactivated" cylinders stills draw in air and compress that air, using energy in the process so any power gain under steady state cruising would be minimal. I would also be concerned as to what the effect of pumping air into the exhaust would have on closed-loop engine control. The O² sensors would see this as a very lean mix.

On closed throttle deceleration the PCM in our cars turns the injectors off anyway, so there would be no saving there.

As I seen no fuel economy savings claims in their materials I will assume it is minimal, let's be generous and say 1 mpg--roughly 5% of average overall fuel consumption for our cars. That means you would save--at the current cost of 87 octane here $3.40/gallon--0.17 per gallon, or $0.0085 per mile.

$295/0.0085 = 34,700 miles

So in 35k miles you will have saved enough to pay for the device (maybe, if you installed it yourself), and have silly device whose 2-year warranty has expired, attached to a hacked-up wire harness, guaranteed to significantly reduce the value of your car if you wish to sell it...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So your saying Stacey David lied to me? I don't believe it!! Ha!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Eturner is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCOB72 View Post
So your saying Stacey David lied to me? I don't believe it!! Ha!
He has to push certain products on his show to keep it sponsored!.. Unfortunately some of those things are just retarded, like this Fuel Saver crap!..
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It must be kept in mind that he is a performer--reasonably knowledgeable--but nonetheless first and foremost an entertainer. Thus in order to finance his show and life he is also required to be a huckster...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Matticus is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Horseshìt...

+1 I love this answer haha.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

LAS97GT is unknown around these parts
I don't get it. When my #7 cylinder crap shoots, it's a misfire, so when I lose 4 of 8 cylinders, WTF you call that!

---------- Post added at 07:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Ok, the injectors are disabled, which means I still have spark ignition, how is that different from a misfire? I would agree if some fuel and spark was present at a reduced ratio.

Any body read the fine print/disclaimer on this yet?

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus

+1 I love this answer haha.
+2
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

An interesting point, the misfire monitor in our cars works by monitoring the crankshaft position sensor signal and using the timing between pulses to calculate the angular velocity and acceleration of the crankshaft--any deviance from what should be represents a misfire--more about how that works here.

So it would seem to me that the "Fuel Smart" device's interference, which would of course create a non-firing cylinder, would affect the crank's rotational velocity and acceleration, and would have to be interpreted by the misfire monitor as a misfire?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
An interesting point, the misfire monitor in our cars works by monitoring the crankshaft position sensor signal and using the timing between pulses to calculate the angular velocity and acceleration of the crankshaft--any deviance from what should be represents a misfire--more about how that works here.

So it would seem to me that the "Fuel Smart" device's interference, which would of course create a non-firing cylinder, would affect the crank's rotational velocity and acceleration, and would have to be interpreted by the misfire monitor as a misfire?
Ahhh, remember the ole MIL eliminator? Well, I betcha this is a supped version that tricks the PCM. So, I'll be banging away my cylinder walls and have to buy a block in 50K. By then, the fine print will say, user fault. Incorrect oil change interval, racing condition, blah, blah, blah. Dodge used to do this, but discontinued it I think, maybe premature engine wear.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post
Ahhh, remember the ole MIL eliminator? Well, I betcha this is a supped version that tricks the PCM. So, I'll be banging away my cylinder walls and have to buy a block in 50K. By then, the fine print will say, user fault. Incorrect oil change interval, racing condition, blah, blah, blah. Dodge used to do this, but discontinued it I think, maybe premature engine wear.
Unfortunately I don't think it does trick the PCM, it would be better if somehow it did--what it seems to do from their description is shut down injectors, without the PCM's knowledge, when it feels conditions are right...

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't think it does trick the PCM, it would be better if somehow it did--what it seems to do from their description is shut down injectors, without the PCM's knowledge, when it feels conditions are right...
Still a trick! Know anyone that's used it yet?

I'll buy one when the oil wells dry up and we are doing Mad Max 4 real in America.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

Still a trick! Know anyone that's used it yet?

I'll buy one when the oil wells dry up and we are doing Mad Max 4 real in America.
Dang! Mustang lovers will not survive if the oil wells did dry up in our lifetime. Oh we'll, drive it like you stole it! I am interested in the tech, but, obviously, I won't bolt that crap on.

Awesome discussion BTW. +10
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

03whitey is unknown around these parts
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2194374012.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	81282

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT