Brake lights not working. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Ryan7racin is unknown around these parts
Brake lights not working.

So I noticed my brake lights are not working but when I turn my lights on all the lights work fine but once I hit the brake they don't light up any brighter.
Also when the lights are off the brake lights still don't work.
Has anyone had this issue? Anyone have any pointers on a quick fix?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

sally2002 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
So I noticed my brake lights are not working but when I turn my lights on all the lights work fine but once I hit the brake they don't light up any brighter.
I would check your brake switch and the fuses and the wiring to the switch

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally2002 View Post

I would check your brake switch and the fuses and the wiring to the switch
Where would the brake switch be? I don't know much about wiring so bear with me. Lol
Old 12-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Road Trip!

I checked all my fuses they all look good, I checked the top if my brake pedal and seen that a wire is not connected. One is plugged in the other is not here's a few pics, can anyone tell me could this be why the brake lights are not working? If the wire touches where it plugs in it sparks so should I dis connect the battery and try to plug it back up? Any help would really help out, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2388848056.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	80827   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-241897187.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	80828  

Name:	image-1468446147.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	80829  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

JetLife 01GT is unknown around these parts
Yes, both wires should be connected. It looks like one of yours may have been loose and had a bad connection and it was causing it to short out and that's why the insulation on the wire is all burned and eventually it just fell off. I got down and looked at mine. Mine has a connector with a clip. I have an 01 gt. also maybe check the fuse, someone may have put a bigger fuse and it allowed that wire to get too hot with too many amps. Here's some pics of mine

Name:	image-3686873380.png
Views:	365
Size:	838.7 KB
ID:	80832

Name:	image-2687392652.png
Views:	224
Size:	824.4 KB
ID:	80833

Name:	image-359682671.png
Views:	234
Size:	853.1 KB
ID:	80834

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It also looks like someone was having problems with those wires before because that one wire has a splice in it already. Try buying a new connector and splicing it in

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 12-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Robbiemustang96 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
I had to put in a new one in my car... It was only like 7 or 8 bucks
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Yes, both wires should be connected. It looks like one of yours may have been loose and had a bad connection and it was causing it to short out and that's why the insulation on the wire is all burned and eventually it just fell off. I got down and looked at mine. Mine has a connector with a clip. I have an 01 gt. also maybe check the fuse, someone may have put a bigger fuse and it allowed that wire to get too hot with too many amps. Here's some pics of mine
Thanks alot man! You really helped out alot, I haven't ever had problems with it until a few nights ago and now I have no brake lights and I know the bulbs are good I checked all the fuses and they look good.
Thanks alot for the pics to compare them too, what should I do to hook it back up? What do I need to buy? Wiring is not my strong point at all so any info would be helpful again I really appreciate it now I know that's the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post

I had to put in a new one in my car... It was only like 7 or 8 bucks
You replaced the same thing? Should I go to auto Zone and let them look at it? I know almost nothing about wiring. I have raced cars and built race cars my entire life but once the wiring part came in I was out of there lol
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link to napa they have the connector
http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsL...Ntk%3dCategory

Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Here is a link to napa they have the connector
http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsL...Ntk%3dCategory
So that should be all I need?
Thanks alot I really appreciate everything, you helped out a ton. I'm going to run up there tomorrow and get one, how hard is the install?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Robbiemustang96 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Thanks alot man! You really helped out alot, I haven't ever had problems with it until a few nights ago and now I have no brake lights and I know the bulbs are good I checked all the fuses and they look good.
Thanks alot for the pics to compare them too, what should I do to hook it back up? What do I need to buy? Wiring is not my strong point at all so any info would be helpful again I really appreciate it now I know that's the problem.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

You replaced the same thing? Should I go to auto Zone and let them look at it? I know almost nothing about wiring. I have raced cars and built race cars my entire life but once the wiring part came in I was out of there lol
Yea i told my father about it and he bought me the switch and it cost me about 7 bucks at autozone... He did the wiring because i cant realiy fit down there lol
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiemustang96 View Post

Yea i told my father about it and he bought me the switch and it cost me about 7 bucks at autozone... He did the wiring because i cant realiy fit down there lol
Thanks man! Yea it's a tight fit I was all upside down stuck trying to look under the dash.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

1slosix is just getting started.
Every mustang ive owned has had this issue

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So that should be all I need?
Thanks alot I really appreciate everything, you helped out a ton. I'm going to run up there tomorrow and get one, how hard is the install?
Yeah that is basically it. If you don't have any, grab some butt splices. It's extremely simple to install. Get down there and cut the wires off. Peel back the insulation on each wire. Leave about a 3/8" of bare wire. Then slide the wire into one side of the butt splice, crimp that end. Slide the other wire into the other side and crimp it on there. Once both sides are crimped on, get a lighter and melt each end of splice until it shrinks down tight around the wire.

A splice is what was used on the other wire on ur brake pedal that was still connected.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Shoot me a pm once u buy it and I can guide you step by step if you want

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
Every mustang ive owned has had this issue
Really it's that common? After you fixed them everything went good?

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote:

Yeah that is basically it. If you don't have any, grab some butt splices. It's extremely simple to install. Get down there and cut the wires off. Peel back the insulation on each wire. Leave about a 3/8" of bare wire. Then slide the wire into one side of the butt splice, crimp that end. Slide the other wire into the other side and crimp it on there. Once both sides are crimped on, get a lighter and melt each end of splice until it shrinks down tight around the wire.

A splice is what was used on the other wire on ur brake pedal that was still connected.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

Shoot me a pm once u buy it and I can guide you step by step if you want
Alright sounds good, you really helped me out alot. I'm going to run up there tomorrow and get one if I get stuck ill shot you a PM. Also disconnect the battery right?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Glad i could help. And yeah it's always good to disconnect it. I never do but I should more often lol

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Glad i could help. And yeah it's always good to disconnect it. I never do but I should more often lol
I moved the wire that was broke and it hit the other wire that was still hooked up and it sparked and smoked. So I think I'll unhook it just in case, I'm glad it's a pretty simple fix I'm out of work right now do to health issues I'm on home rest on IV meds so I really can't afford to bring it any where and pay out the a$$ to get something that I figured was simple to fix. I really appreciate you going out your way to take pictures so I could see the difference and all your knowledge about hooking up the new one. Good to see there still good people in this world
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I moved the wire that was broke and it hit the other wire that was still hooked up and it sparked and smoked. So I think I'll unhook it just in case, I'm glad it's a pretty simple fix I'm out of work right now do to health issues I'm on home rest on IV meds so I really can't afford to bring it any where and pay out the a$$ to get something that I figured was simple to fix. I really appreciate you going out your way to take pictures so I could see the difference and all your knowledge about hooking up the new one. Good to see there still good people in this world
Ah man, sorry to hear that. It's gotta be bad if you have IV meds at home. Hopefully you'll make a full recovery soon. My best wishes. If you lived near me I'd come do it for you. If you have a son, make him get his little butt down there and do it! Haha jk. Should only take you like 10-15 min to finish. The hardest part will be getting down there. You might want to throw a little electrical tape around those wires to keep them from hitting each other and sparking in the mean time. Seems like that should of popped ur fuse possibly not tho. I'd still check your fuse just to make sure it's still the right size and that no one has put a bigger one on. Doesn't hurt to be sure. Don't hesitate to pm me for help. I can give u my cell to text if need be. Install should be pretty straight forward tho

Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ah man, sorry to hear that. It's gotta be bad if you have IV meds at home. Hopefully you'll make a full recovery soon. My best wishes. If you lived near me I'd come do it for you. If you have a son, make him get his little butt down there and do it! Haha jk. Should only take you like 10-15 min to finish. The hardest part will be getting down there. You might want to throw a little electrical tape around those wires to keep them from hitting each other and sparking in the mean time. Seems like that should of popped ur fuse possibly not tho. I'd still check your fuse just to make sure it's still the right size and that no one has put a bigger one on. Doesn't hurt to be sure. Don't hesitate to pm me for help. I can give u my cell to text if need be. Install should be pretty straight forward tho
I have cystic fibrous so I'm always pretty sick my lungs are working on 20-30% I have to see a transplant doctor next week and see if I need to be put on the list yet, I been on IV meds for 4 weeks now I have another 3 weeks to go so money is a little tight. If it wasn't for your great info I was gonna be forced to take it somewhere its kinda hard for me to work on my car at the moment since I'm so sick ill more than likely get my brother to get down there and work on it I should be able to walk him through it.
I may PM you to get your number just in case I get hung up on something tomorrow, but it seems pretty simple.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

LAS97GT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin

I have cystic fibrous so I'm always pretty sick my lungs are working on 20-30% I have to see a transplant doctor next week and see if I need to be put on the list yet, I been on IV meds for 4 weeks now I have another 3 weeks to go so money is a little tight. If it wasn't for your great info I was gonna be forced to take it somewhere its kinda hard for me to work on my car at the moment since I'm so sick ill more than likely get my brother to get down there and work on it I should be able to walk him through it.
I may PM you to get your number just in case I get hung up on something tomorrow, but it seems pretty simple.
Ryan, appreciate your effort getting on the forum, man. Wish the best, and will keep you in mind and prayers. Fastest way to tell if fuse is good is to press the break pedal, get it?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. You sound strong and I'm sure you will get through it. I'll keep you in my prayers brotha. I hope that your mustang and this forum can be a bit of relief and a chance to get away from it all. We're glad to have you here.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

Ryan, appreciate your effort getting on the forum, man. Wish the best, and will keep you in mind and prayers. Fastest way to tell if fuse is good is to press the break pedal, get it?
Thanks man, I appreciate the thoughts and kind words. After I hook up the new piece ill give it a try if the brake lights work then the fuse must be good, I checked them and they all looked good.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. You sound strong and I'm sure you will get through it. I'll keep you in my prayers brotha. I hope that your mustang and this forum can be a bit of relief and a chance to get away from it all. We're glad to have you here.
Thanks man, yea I'm on here a pretty good amount gets pretty boring just sitting at home all day long I enjoy this forum alot. It's nice to talk to people that share the same love as me which is mustang and cars, it helps get my mind off of things.
Hopefully tomorrow I will have the Stang back right and might drop the top and take a nice ride since the weather has been so beautiful the past few days.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

1slosix is just getting started.
Quote:
Really it's that common? After you fixed them everything went good?

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Alright sounds good, you really helped me out alot. I'm going to run up there tomorrow and get one if I get stuck ill shot you a PM. Also disconnect the battery right?
yeah the first time it happened it took me an hour to figure out the wire was burned out...i ended up fixing all three by removing the box connected to the brake light switch and using female ends to fix it.

this pic is before i added the shrink tubing

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

yeah the first time it happened it took me an hour to figure out the wire was burned out...i ended up fixing all three by removing the box connected to the brake light switch and using female ends to fix it.

this pic is before i added the shrink tubing
Alright thanks alot for the great info bro!
I'm about to head to town to buy the piece to fix it ill let y'all know how it turns out.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Got it fixed! They didn't have the part so I bought a solder gun and fixed it. Everything's working perfect, thanks everyone for helping.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it fixed! They didn't have the part so I bought a solder gun and fixed it. Everything's working perfect, thanks everyone for helping.
Ryan, your input does not end here. You don't get off that easy bro. I got a few threads already, so I'll loan you mine. Look up LAS97GT threads. I built an NA Stang from the ground up. I'd like you to use it and maybe get me more HP. I'm at 350-400 at the crank, but a measly 279 at the wheels. I do need to budget low like most on the forum. My car is a 97 GT vert.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ryan, your input does not end here. You don't get off that easy bro. I got a few threads already, so I'll loan you mine. Look up LAS97GT threads. I built an NA Stang from the ground up. I'd like you to use it and maybe get me more HP. I'm at 350-400 at the crank, but a measly 279 at the wheels. I do need to budget low like most on the forum. My car is a 97 GT vert.
I noticed you were a soldier, I would like to say thank you very much for everything you did/do to fight for our freedom. You guys are what makes the United States the best country there is.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I noticed you were a soldier, I would like to say thank you very much for everything you did/do to fight for our freedom. You guys are what makes the United States the best country there is.
Awww, now am blushing or something Infantry. Here's pics of my ride:

I'll get some engine shots up in a few.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3765902817.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	81111   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1690584008.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	81112  

Name:	image-3665143499.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	81113   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-606565349.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	81114  

Name:	image-2714220485.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	81115  
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:

Awww, now am blushing or something Infantry. Here's pics of my ride:

I'll get some engine shots up in a few.
Super clean man! You don't see to many 97s this clean, I love that shifter it really brings the inside of the car alive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT