Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Oil burning/lots of air coming from oil cap

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  taylor98gt 
#1 ·
Ok i have a 98 gt and it smokes like a freight train on cold starts that ive noticed...plus my main concern is that alot of air blows out of the oil neck filler when running...is this normal for the 4.6 or is something causing this?..id appreciate feed back..thanks..im new to fords so i dont know much about them..lol

#2 ·
Sounds like valve cover gasket and filler neck gasket/cap. Had similar problem on another car. Mine dripped on the exhaust manifold and caused smoking in start up and left turns (I6 engine,, manifold on passenger side only). Anything with 100kmi+ should check seals regularly. Good luck!

#3 ·
it has new valve cover gaskets..it was leaking cause who ever put them on left a valve cover bolt out on bottom so i put a bolt in and sealed it up..but it only smokes in the morning untill i take it down the road and blow it all out and it wont smoke the entire day untill the next morning and it comes right out of the tail pipes nowhere else..plus i forgot to mention it also seems to get a lifter tap sound after warm up..someone told me it has cracked rings and another said bad valve guide for causing the air blow out on oil neck filler..but it dont run like it has bad rings..idk im stumped..lol

#4 ·
Check the compression and manifold vacuum (compare the readings to this chart).

The compression needs to be at least 135 psi and the lowest cylinder should be at least 70% of the highest. If one or more cylinders are low do a "wet" compression test by pouring a couple tablespoons of oil into the cylinder and testing again. If the compression rises the rings are worn, if not the valves are leaking...

#5 ·
Blowing smoke out the tail pipe is basic indicator that valve seals are worn. Guess you know what that means. It occurs when the engine stops, and oil seeps past the valve seal onto the manifold. Each valve has oil pets at the top of neat the valve guides necessary to lubricate them. When you stop it eventually seps past worn seals, and wallah, smoking tail pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.