Clutch or shifter noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Xtrosity is unknown around these parts
Clutch or shifter noise

Hey guys, I just purchased my first mustang, a 2001 GT convertible. I bought it knowing the clutch was bad. I finally got around to installing a new stage 2 clutch with ford racing bearings and new fork. My question is that I now hear and odd sound coming from the shifter. It makes a shhhh sound when the clutch peddle is out and in gear, but when I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. I also changed the fluid. The sound gets much louder when I'm at a lower rpm and push the gas past 50%. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I also was thinking about doing the freeplay mod to see if that helps.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	81365  

Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

v8pony is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
Hey guys, I just purchased my first mustang, a 2001 GT convertible. I bought it knowing the clutch was bad. I finally got around to installing a new stage 2 clutch with ford racing bearings and new fork. My question is that I now hear and odd sound coming from the shifter. It makes a shhhh sound when the clutch peddle is out and in gear, but when I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. I also changed the fluid. The sound gets much louder when I'm at a lower rpm and push the gas past 50%. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I also was thinking about doing the freeplay mod to see if that helps.)
Got an early or late 01? late 01 were equipped with the Tremec 3650, it's one noisy bizatch! Mine does exactly what your describing

Old 12-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Azure is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
Nice Mustang! And

It sounds like your throw out bearing is spinning along with your clutch pressure plate. If it just barely touches, it's like a high pitched squeak. Many times, the shops get it closer so it doesn't squeak. The bad thing is that it will shorten the life of the TOB.

If you are interested in the freeplay mod, checkout lowflyn's write-up...
How to make your own clutch freeplay kit

I setup the freeplay mod on my Mach 1 a few months ago. I had to use a longer spring than lowflyn used. I assume that is because the Cobra's have T56 tranny's and mine is a TR3650. I also tried to install a clutch pedal lowering kit, but it didn't work good. Toward the end of this thread it tells you what size spring and where I bought it, so you might want to skim through the whole thread before you buy anything. Measure your needs first, then go buy...
Clutch Pedal Height Adjustment and Clutch Freeplay Mod
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. It is a late 01. I'm going to do the freeplay mod tomorrow to see if that works. Last thing I want is to replace the throw out bearing again.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Silver Pony is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity
My 01 does the same thing too.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

LAS97GT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Pony View Post

My 01 does the same thing too.
This is where a firewall clutch cable adjuster benefits the most. I think your hearing the TOB in ore- load.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

LAS97GT is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAS97GT View Post

This is where a firewall clutch cable adjuster benefits the most. I think your hearing the TOB in ore- load.
TOB in preload. If you can't hear it outside the car, quit worrying bout it. This is why I added sound dampener around my tranny. Perfectionism is an expensive byproduct of what we do. Lol. Good luck. Put her in 2nd (at a stop) and apply low torque; increase as needed. If it growls really loud, more cable tension is required. TOBs spin constantly. After a whole lot of adjustments, and replacements my conclusion is that we lose the battle in a very simple area; the flywheel. Did you you torque yours on or jam it on with an air wrench? My helper when I did a head swap jammed my aluminum flywheel on. I think it's warped some. Get my drift? Mine shudders now. That screw up is translated to my TOB. It does not squeal, but I do expect a repair in a few thousand miles. My 2 cents but no solution. Sorry.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When I was taking out my shifter, which turned out to be a steeda tri ax, it turned out the previous owner wrapped everything in dynamat. What a pain in the *** to remove. Everything was torqued down to factory specs. If my TOB lasts more than 15k miles, I'll probably be happy. I'll see what the freeplay mod is going to do. I'm finding it hard to find the right spring.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

rodrigo9 is unknown around these parts
My 00 does the same it drives me crazy I though about buying a new shifter to see if it helps a little?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo9 View Post
My 00 does the same it drives me crazy I though about buying a new shifter to see if it helps a little?
Heard that helps, also heard they can be a bit more noisy...but I just forget about it, it's the tr3650, noisy son of a b.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

got a video of the noise today! its heard im in 5th gear, if you crank the volume you will hear it.
Attached Files
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

^^ that really airy sound is from the vert top not the shifter but for some reason the sound the shifter is giving off almost does sound like it could be air getting through the gasket some how.. wonder if a new gasket would possibly fix this.. anyone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT