Car starts but dies after warming up. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #1

Region: California
Car starts but dies after warming up.

So, here's my story:

I have a 2003 GT with 76,000 i got from my brother just before the summer and drove it to the gas station five miles away (same day) and it died on me. Wouldnt restart, just turned over and towed it home.

Since i was gonna do it anyways, I gave it a tune up, changed all the filters (fuel filter too), cleaned the IAC (new gasket) and MAF, and still wouldn't start. I changed the fuel rail sensor, still no luck. New battery and terminals.

I unhook the negative terminal, come back the next day and started the car. Turns on fine, but after it warms for 2 minutes, car dies. I can start the car with starter fluid but soon dies afterwards.

The theft light started flashing on the dash board when it died at the gas station. I have two remotes and keys that turn on and off the alarm, both keys start the car during the above routine, but no luck yet keeping the car on.

I used a pressure gauge to see if the fuel rail had pressure, and I used this port by unscrewing this check valve and replaced it with a open valve to see the pressure and I had no pressure. (pic attached)

What am I missing here?

I haven't needed the car so I was taking my time with the trouble shooting and scanning through posts here for a similar symptom, but now its time to post.

Thanks for the help, any is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801[1].JPG
Views:	1526
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	81480  
Cali Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Is the Theft light flashing the whole time?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
have u checked the inertia switch to see if it had been set off by anychance, also, do u have a check engine code on at all, if it was a fuel pump it would set off like a 1240 code or something.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
Is the Theft light flashing the whole time?
After it dies it starts flashing

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
have u checked the inertia switch to see if it had been set off by anychance, also, do u have a check engine code on at all, if it was a fuel pump it would set off like a 1240 code or something.
Inertia switch? If its the one in the trunk then yes, it did not trip. As for codes I did early on, I need to go through my notes and get back on that. I don't have to code reader anymore so I may need to borrow one again this week.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #5

I found my notes, codes thrown were P0190 fuel rail pressure, P1132 lack of HO2S11 Switch, P1152 lack of HO2S21 switch.

When these codes were thrown I figured i change the rail sensor switch, but didn't help.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine is a 2000 gt it would start and idle but any pressure on gas pedal and it would die. It was the fuel pump.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ok so it sounds more like a fuel pump but we wanna rule out any thing that may make it seem like such, as to the anti theft when it blinks on its after it dies, but does it flash with the key to the ignition on and the car off, and have u asked your brother if it ever did that to him before to see if it had. if your not gettin any fuel pressure it may be the pump however one more thing to rule it out would be to unplug the fuel pressure regulator and see if it stays alive. just remove the vacuum and see what happens. it could be a regulator if anything.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

yours is a 2003, u have a fuel rail sensor, it may be bad, find the sensor unplug it and see if the car starts up, it may be afterall a bad sensor. The FRPS is on the driver side fuel rail, 2 8mm bolts
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

Thank you for the responses, I changes that sensor, but I will follow your directions to unplug the vacuum line to see. I could of bought a bad one.

As for the theft light, per my bro, it wasn't doing it before.

Question tho, does the engine have enough of a vacuum to pull gas into the system if the pump is bad before the car finally dies in this type of scenario?
Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
When my pump was going bad it would run fine at idle and at low to mid throttle at first then it would starve at wot. I thought I had a bad cop at first. As the pump got weaker car would die when I pressed the gas. Then next day it was too weak to pump any.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #10

Ok, thanks.

BTW, i uploaded a short video of the car when I had it on and when it died on me:

2003 Mustang GT video by delacuzdn | Photobucket

I hope this link works.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #11

After the rain clears hear in Los Angeles, I'll trouble shoot the rail pressure sensor and possibly start looking for a fuel pump, any one in particular for a stock GT?
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Napa has them cheaper from what i seen but shop around u might find it cheaper somewhere else
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Napa has them cheaper from what i seen but shop around u might find it cheaper somewhere else
Thank you
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #14

I finally had time yesterday to change out the fuel pump. The hardest part was taking out the tank that still had 7 gal in it. But what gave me trouble was the fill tube, which was tight to the gasket. I figuered out that wd40 works well (thanks youtube). I had the battery charging whileI was working on the tank.

It started up quick and stayed on! Drove the family to brunch and put 20 mile on it,so I'm stoked!

Thanks to everyone who helped out.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Glad u fixed it.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Glad u fixed it.

thanks, i drove it all day today so I'm confient the issue is resolved. I hope ths thread helps others in te future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT