Mechanic said i trust mustang owners more homest people :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Mechanic said i trust mustang owners more homest people :)

Ok so I have a mechanical question. In my 1999 gt when I accelerate you can hear a faint nocking. It only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpms. If I'm accelerating and hear it if I push down a little further on the gas it goes away. A mechanic told me it could be my timing gear and belt but he recommended a whole new engine soley because of my mileage (which is bull****) that's like 6 grand with labor. Does this sound like it could maybe be an issue?
Barrett775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I'd start with an oil pressure test. Your oil pump may be weak.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I'd start with an oil pressure test. Your oil pump may be weak.
Primer2tone this is why I come here. You always have good advice and are good for a laugh on some posts. If its weak a new pump is only 75$ at auto zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett775 View Post
Ok so I have a mechanical question. In my 1999 gt when I accelerate you can hear a faint nocking. It only happens between 2500 and 3000 rpms. If I'm accelerating and hear it if I push down a little further on the gas it goes away. A mechanic told me it could be my timing gear and belt but he recommended a whole new engine soley because of my mileage (which is bull****) that's like 6 grand with labor. Does this sound like it could maybe be an issue?
Im not sure how many miles you have,,but we have 5.4 and 4.6 with closed to 300000 miles and the bottom end are still good,,you need to pinpoint if its vale train or coming from the oil pan,,if its coming from the gears or the chain its a big job,,but a lot cheaper then a whole engine,,can you recreate the noise by reving the engine in park,,
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post

Im not sure how many miles you have,,but we have 5.4 and 4.6 with closed to 300000 miles and the bottom end are still good,,you need to pinpoint if its vale train or coming from the oil pan,,if its coming from the gears or the chain its a big job,,but a lot cheaper then a whole engine,,can you recreate the noise by reving the engine in park,,
I have a manual so first is my park but I'm not sure. I will check it out in the morning I also have 180,000 miles on her. I just really don't wanna get jerked around by some mechanic
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
My car just recently started doing the same thing so I parked it. Thought I'd try driving a little more to pinpoint the issue (which I haven't yet) and now the noise is louder and covers a wider range of rpms. My car is parked for the winter either way but I need to figure out the problem and begin fixing it so I have my car come spring. I'll be interested to see what you find with yours. Hopefully we both have an easy fix ahead of us!
CowboyLyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyLyon View Post
My car just recently started doing the same thing so I parked it. Thought I'd try driving a little more to pinpoint the issue (which I haven't yet) and now the noise is louder and covers a wider range of rpms. My car is parked for the winter either way but I need to figure out the problem and begin fixing it so I have my car come spring. I'll be interested to see what you find with yours. Hopefully we both have an easy fix ahead of us!
Yea I'm parking mine for the winter. We just got like 5 inches if snow in a little over 2 hours here in Cheyenne Wy and it's still snowing. I'm gonna park her try to pin point this problem and I will keep you updated buddy. Also if you manage to pin point this sometime soon keep me posted if you wouldn't mind
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I always take mine to Ford when it's a problem that I can't figure out I let them out it on the computer its way better than going to mechanic every time because half the time they just guess at it and that's how they make their money
rodrigo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett775 View Post

Primer2tone this is why I come here. You always have good advice and are good for a laugh on some posts. If its weak a new pump is only 75$ at auto zone.
Thanks man, I just go by my experiences from when I was a mechanic. Plus, I've had a lot of high mileage cars in the past.

You've gotten a lot of mileage out of that motor. I would put a little money into it and try to squeeze another summer or two out of it but a new motor might be something you'd want to consider in the future. I don't know if you'd rather just trade it in but if the body and suspension are in good shape, you may just want to hang on to it.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The body and suspension are in great shape as is the interior. There is a mustang graveyard about 100 miles from where I live I may start doing some research into what I can get mileage wise from there if I'm not happy ill get the new motor and install with a friend who knows what he's doing
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Maybe look into a 4 valve swap? That would be pretty sweet!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i just love how the mechanic told u it was a timing gear and timing belt, lol that was a laugh we all know we are timing chain driven. as for a knock u know it might be as simple as a exhaust leak or even a clutch bearing goin bad, i have a friend that had a knockin sound but as soon as u depress the clutch no more noise, with the clutch off it it made noise on the way down from a rev up. so who knows it can be a simple fix. if anything u can atleast try to pinpoint it by having the car on, then u can simply give it a couple of revs from the throttle body while listening to where the pinging comes from. if u can make a vid it probably will help us better to ananlyze it. all of our cars have issues here and there, this is what makes us who we are and you are right to come ask us on a issue b4 u get your leg pulled at a mech shop.......btw its about 2500 or so, motor and labor at pepboys where i work at to do a motor swap, that 6k is wayyyyyyy to steep.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I thought too about the price. Well as soon as the snow clears up some I will
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo9 View Post
I always take mine to Ford when it's a problem that I can't figure out I let them out it on the computer its way better than going to mechanic every time because half the time they just guess at it and that's how they make their money
Not knocking ford,,but a knocking sound is not going to show up on their scanner,,and also they are on commision,,so they are not going to spend a lot of time figuring out what is wrong,,ford is more of a parts thrower then most,,they just have a proffesional service writer that will convince you in thinking that you need all the parts..I know a couple of ford guys that do some of our programming for us,,and they said they just go by the codes,,or by bullentins,,they dont make any money on diagnsing for very long

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
i just love how the mechanic told u it was a timing gear and timing belt, lol that was a laugh we all know we are timing chain driven. as for a knock u know it might be as simple as a exhaust leak or even a clutch bearing goin bad, i have a friend that had a knockin sound but as soon as u depress the clutch no more noise, with the clutch off it it made noise on the way down from a rev up. so who knows it can be a simple fix. if anything u can atleast try to pinpoint it by having the car on, then u can simply give it a couple of revs from the throttle body while listening to where the pinging comes from. if u can make a vid it probably will help us better to ananlyze it. all of our cars have issues here and there, this is what makes us who we are and you are right to come ask us on a issue b4 u get your leg pulled at a mech shop.......btw its about 2500 or so, motor and labor at pepboys where i work at to do a motor swap, that 6k is wayyyyyyy to steep.
Even a complete ford engine,,with everything ready to fire up,,sensors and all,,was only 2800 from ford..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post

Not knocking ford,,but a knocking sound is not going to show up on their scanner,,and also they are on commision,,so they are not going to spend a lot of time figuring out what is wrong,,ford is more of a parts thrower then most,,they just have a proffesional service writer that will convince you in thinking that you need all the parts..I know a couple of ford guys that do some of our programming for us,,and they said they just go by the codes,,or by bullentins,,they dont make any money on diagnsing for very long

---------- Post added at 06:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Even a complete ford engine,,with everything ready to fire up,,sensors and all,,was only 2800 from ford..
Good to know its half the price of this shady mechanic
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Shady is correct, with those 6k you can make yours into one sick beast. Rebuild, cut and gut, then full blown forged
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Shady is correct, with those 6k you can make yours into one sick beast. Rebuild, cut and gut, then full blown forged
+1 or say ftw and go 4v and blown
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:

+1 or say ftw and go 4v and blown
+2

I've seemed to have a decent experience with Ford dealers. I'm almost positive, they start by reading the code first then search for a TSB.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

+2

I've seemed to have a decent experience with Ford dealers. I'm almost positive, they start by reading the code first then search for a TSB.
Usually how it goes read for a code check a tsb anything more than that and its the cost of what a diagnostic would be just to start which usually takes like 3 hrs
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
+2

Well the thing is alot of times the code is sometimes directly what the problem is,,so if they scann it read the code ,,replace what the code says it is ,,then your good,,but if it requires more diagnosing,,they are not getting paid much for that ,,so thats when parts are thrown at your expense..That doesnt include everyone,,theres some good honest mechanics out there,,but they are the ones probably that doesnt make as much money,,because they acually figure out the problem and replace the right part..everything is get it fixed as fast as you can,,so people can have their car back,,so that sometimes includes parts that are probably not needed..
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Had a mechanic look at mine today. He said that before unbolting anything he feels its a timing chain. He said 80% certain.
I will have him open it up at the end of this week and see. If its a timing chain or guide issue then I will fix it. Otherwise I'm feeling a coyote swap coming on! Either way I'm happy in the end! Ill keep you posted on my end.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Had a mechanic look at mine today. He said that before unbolting anything he feels its a timing chain. He said 80% certain.
I will have him open it up at the end of this week and see. If its a timing chain or guide issue then I will fix it. Otherwise I'm feeling a coyote swap coming on! Either way I'm happy in the end! Ill keep you posted on my end.
Appreciate it buddy. They want 3 gran here to repace the tensioners if it's that. I can get an engine for 1500 with about 150k fewer miles on it
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Wow! $3000 is crazy. I should know more by the first of the week. Ill let you know what I find.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wow! $3000 is crazy. I should know more by the first of the week. Ill let you know what I find.
Appreciate it good sir.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

3k is an over an i mean a wayyyyy over priced amount. hell to be honest it isnt even a grand to do a timing chain on a mustang. whoever told u its more than a grand its because of one thing.......mustang. its a mustang so they will give some bs excuse saying this and that but yet u say timing chain on a f150 itll be less than a mustang. and sadly there is no difference except the block on a f150 or a mustang, so yeah barrett 3k is an exaggerated excuse of a price. i wouldnt even talk to the mechanic anymore id take it to pep boys or something cause wow that price has me speachless. what a ridiculous amount to throw out there. i attached a pricing estimate to do a timing chain tensioner on both sides and if they are a smart shop they would only charge the labor for the chain since they have to remove it to replace the tensioner. and the estimates are in your area, wyoming i used the 82003 zip. i used www.automd.com to get the estimate and its under $800 to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wy.png
Views:	70
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	85788  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

last sentences i proof read right now lol. if you were to take it to any legit shop, you would only get charged for the labor to replace tensioner. add the price of the chains if u need to replace it but other than that it shouldnt even break 800 bucks, and if i were u i would have them show u the broken chain on the car not off it, cause shops are shady like that. trust me im a mechanic and it even disgusts me that they would say 3k for 2 tensioners that take maybe 3 hours to do. hell even i dont charge 800 for it i would do it for 500 thats parts and labor so i would deff be on your toes with the bs from mechanics. this is y i do my own work cause u cant be bs'd if you do it yourself. or over exxageratedly charged......3k geez for that id just buy another stang lol
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
last sentences i proof read right now lol. if you were to take it to any legit shop, you would only get charged for the labor to replace tensioner. add the price of the chains if u need to replace it but other than that it shouldnt even break 800 bucks, and if i were u i would have them show u the broken chain on the car not off it, cause shops are shady like that. trust me im a mechanic and it even disgusts me that they would say 3k for 2 tensioners that take maybe 3 hours to do. hell even i dont charge 800 for it i would do it for 500 thats parts and labor so i would deff be on your toes with the bs from mechanics. this is y i do my own work cause u cant be bs'd if you do it yourself. or over exxageratedly charged......3k geez for that id just buy another stang lol
Yea I thought I was an extremely over prices deal myself. I was a shop that was recommend by the company owner I work for. I guess the name if te company with the owners name and the mustang he thought he could jerk me around. I would do the work myself but I don't have the tools or the area needed to do it
Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
A lot of the times when the timing chain needs replaced it will also make a noise like your engine is sounding like a diesel. Just my 2 cents
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

The reason the price quote is high is because the shop is probably legit and thought about several things. If a timjng chain were to be broken, at the very least you have to get new chains and tensioners just to fix the problem. But more than likely, with modular motors being interference motors, there was piston to valve contact. Meaning the heads need to come off, new valves, heads machined, new head gaskets and head bolts, ect.

Either way its not worth it and a simple motor swap would be a better option in the end
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

then pi swap, if not equipped with pi heads, that will take care of timing and all that lovely stuff lol. atleast then the cost wont be more than $1300. but then again neither will a engine swap either. its all up to you OP. my guess any knocking is bad, and knocking to me means a rod bearing goin bad usually so imo motor swap.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

My problem is not the timing chain. I am going to do a coyote swap! Hope the best for you.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My problem is not the timing chain. I am going to do a coyote swap! Hope the best for you.
Ok thank you for the update bro. I'm just going with another 4.6 2v maybe switch it to a 4V
Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck with getting yours back up and running!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
If you do a coyote swap, tell me where you live so I can come steal your stang!!

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. I've done a fair amount of research. I really think this is what I'm going to do! I'm getting pretty excited!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT