Sct Tuner, basic model or iTsx unit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Sct Tuner, basic model or iTsx unit?

I want to buy a tuner before the end of year. I'm going to be buying an SCT tuner from American Muscle. I can't decide between the standard model or the one that syncs to your iPhone / iPad. Is it worth the extra $100 for the extra features, or is it something you use once or twice and don't play with again. Does the 1/4 mile ET and other features work? Have they got the bugs out? My 96 Cobra runs great, I just want to squeeze more power / response out of it. I'm torn because I could use the extra $100 towards a set of Eibach lowering springs. I look forward to your experience and opinions. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I've heard in some cases the gauges on the iPad don't function right from some people others say it works. The tune and stuff is the same. And the times are only gonna be equal to how well you run the car in the test run. Like its 1/4 mile, 0-60 mph, horsepower. And it's just better guesstimations. I think it's cool I'd get one if I already didn't buy a regular tuner.
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the iTSX. I love it. And it's cool to pull out ur phone or iPad and it has ur tuner on there. Also it shows actual gauges with needles not just the number. But you can change how you view the gauges. You can view just numbers and no gauges if you want. There's a couple different layouts. The 1/4 time and 60mph does work. It goes off of your speedo. So when u hit 60 it will clock that time and when you've traveled a 1/4 it clocks that time. The only thing is, when you are viewing the gauges, it makes the gauges in your car jump around. Doesn't affect performance or how it runs at all. But that only happens when you're on the gauge tab. It doesn't do it any other time. And gauges you view in the app are accurate. Idk why it messes with gauges in your car but it causes absolutely zero drivability issues. Ive drove around like this and had no problems. Not sure why SCT or BAMA hasn't fixed the issue yet. I have all of the updates. I also read about a lot of people on the fence because they are worried about connectivity issues. But I've never had any connectivity issues and the app has never crashed on me. People worry about it losing connection and it messing up the computer while trying to download a tune. I have never heard of anyone losing connection and this happening.I read up a lot on iTSX before I got it. The only story I have heard is that one person had their phone die(run out of battery) while dl tune. He called up BAMA and they got him squared away immediately. Forgot what they did to fix it, but it was of no cost to him and it was a simple fix for BAMA. iTSX is the same as the other tuner as far as tunes go. iTSX has a few more things to play around with in the app and its a cool looking app. Plus you never know what other features we may get in the future with updates to the app. It's worth the $100 extra simply for the cool factor.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have to call SCT before I buy. I have a 96 SVT Cobra. The 96 is a mechanical Speedo so I don't know if it can do the 0-60, 1/4 mille, etc. Also you can use it with other OBDII cars to check engine fault codes etc right? It would be great if American Muscle would run another 15-20% off sale for after Christmas or New Years like they did Black Friday. That would seal the deal. Right now I have a Superchip in the car that came with the car when I bought it. So I don't know what my baseline performance is. The guys at BAMA felt a new tune would make a difference. The mods are a K&N CAI, Flowmaster Exhaust, New H pipe, and no Cats. It has other mods that don't effect HP. Red Hawk Brake Pads and a B&M short shift kit. Plus the Super Chip that's on there now. 17"x9 Cobra R wheels from Ford Racing. I had issues with the Superchip not being seated right when I first got the car. It would all of a sudden rev real high, then stop dead. The chip was not seated right and the connection had corroded. It was a pain to get in the kick panel and remove the ECU to clean the chip, but it fixed it. If I get a Tuner I need to take the Chip off and find some kind of cover for that port.

Well thanks for the input. I'll check back for more. I got an iPad and iPhone. I did download the iTsx app to see what it will do.

Oh, it measures G force too doesn't it? That would be cool. I hope to get lowering Spring Kit and eventually adjustable shocks and struts. I hope to try my hand at Auto Cross in 2013. I figure that will be easier on the car than drag racing it. I want to go to the drags once or twice to see what it will do. Previous owner ran 13.4 with it. Thanks again, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT