Two minor issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Matticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 559
Two minor issues

Okay guys, I'm having two small, but annoying issues.

1. Battery light comes on and off randomly, headlights dim and brighten on acceleration, no change in how it drives and nothing interior dims.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

2. I hear a vibrating noise as of a few days ago, sounds like its coming from behind me, maybe in the transmission. I have a steeda short shifter and I know they make noise, but this is new and it's different. Not gear specific, just sort of sounds like something is rattling when I drive sometimes.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Alternator is likely going out. Otherwise you have a loose ground somewhere
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
for the rattling check all your lug nuts....believe me i lost a rear tire because i heard rattling and a week later my back tire passed me on the road lol. also check for loose exhaust hangers and things like that...

for the dimming and battery light i'd guess your alternator is probably rippling...take your car to any autoparts and have the car tested...most will be able to test your alternator on the vehicle (like Advance, Orileys, Autozone)
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Matticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Alternator is likely going out. Otherwise you have a loose ground somewhere
When I put my new gauges in, I had to splice into the headlight wire and drill a hole in the chassis to create a new ground. Do you think it would be related to that?

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
for the rattling check all your lug nuts....believe me i lost a rear tire because i heard rattling and a week later my back tire passed me on the road lol. also check for loose exhaust hangers and things like that...

for the dimming and battery light i'd guess your alternator is probably rippling...take your car to any autoparts and have the car tested...most will be able to test your alternator on the vehicle (like Advance, Orileys, Autozone)
Lugs are snug, everything hanging exhaust wise is zip tied out of the way. It sounds more like its coming from inside the car. And I had my alternator tested a month or two ago when it started and it tested fine so I just decided to ignore it for the time being.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
pull the alternator...it's easy and then you can have it tossed on a bigger tester to be sure. as for your gauges that's how i always wire them without issue.

back to the rattling....have you looked in the trunk where the speakers hang? made sure nothing is knocking around there
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Matticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
pull the alternator...it's easy and then you can have it tossed on a bigger tester to be sure. as for your gauges that's how i always wire them without issue.

back to the rattling....have you looked in the trunk where the speakers hang? made sure nothing is knocking around there
I'll have to check the trunk thing, didn't think about that. And with the electrical problem, it almost seems like something is loose the way it acts, but it's not the battery or terminals. It comes on randomly and sometimes when the car bumps or etc. then it may not come on at all or just stay on the whole times. It's strange.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
check the ground wires
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
JetLife 01GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: California
Posts: 598
Check where you spliced the headlight wire. Make sure it's a solid connection and not loose. If it happens over bumps, seems almost for sure that it would be some loose wires somewhere
__________________
2001 GT

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post

I'll have to check the trunk thing, didn't think about that. And with the electrical problem, it almost seems like something is loose the way it acts, but it's not the battery or terminals. It comes on randomly and sometimes when the car bumps or etc. then it may not come on at all or just stay on the whole times. It's strange.
I had some rattling coming from the rear of my car. Turns out, it was my steering wheel club and pedal club rattling in the trunk when I hit bumps lol
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
IIAMSTARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
Okay guys, I'm having two small, but annoying issues.

1. Battery light comes on and off randomly, headlights dim and brighten on acceleration, no change in how it drives and nothing interior dims.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

2. I hear a vibrating noise as of a few days ago, sounds like its coming from behind me, maybe in the transmission. I have a steeda short shifter and I know they make noise, but this is new and it's different. Not gear specific, just sort of sounds like something is rattling when I drive sometimes.
In reply to problem number 1, my car did this as well, luckily I have a friend who is a mustang specialist and he immediately checked the grounds, he hooked any up that might have had a bad connection and that fixed the problem.
IIAMSTARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:30 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.