Im stumped. Supercharger/turbo guys i need your help! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Im stumped. Supercharger/turbo guys i need your help!

Okay guys the blower is back on and everything is running great with one exception. When it rains I developed a bad misfire while under boost. But that's the only time it does it. I can run the rpms up to redline with no issue, idles like a top, drives great, no vacuum leaks, but as soon as its wet and I let it see boost it misfires. I can't find any loose wires or clamps anywhere. Any suggestions?
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Have you checked to see if you have any leaks, could be suckin in moisture somewhere
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Vacuum is a perfect 21inHG. I've sprayed starting fluid around every square inch of the motor and got nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Vacuum is a perfect 21inHG. I've sprayed starting fluid around every square inch of the motor and got nothing
Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
What about down by the intercooler/ heat exchanger? Or has your airfilter got a hole or somethin in it
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
There is a few things I can think of , the air filter may be getting wet and water might be getting pulled past the MAF , water might be getting under your cowl and sitting in the vent holes and when you open her up it may be getting your COP's wet , your crank trigger sensor might have a crack in it or loose wire and it could be shorting out when wet , btw any new pic's of that sexy new paint job? I bet she's looking real good!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Pics Cody, only saw the one.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have some pics but I've been waiting till I got under the hood detailed and got pics of it too because I know if I put up body pics and no engine pics you guys will kill me lol. Here is an incentive, help me fix my car faster and I will be able to button everything up and get the pics for you faster! lol

But on a more serious note, I have considered the air filter being an issue bc I did change to a different one this time. I have also considered the COPs but I PRAY its not that. My first suspicion was the MAF but I haven't been able to test anything yet as the rain has quit and I don't feel like dumping buckets of water under my hood lol
Old 12-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
What type of blower is it
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Polished Vortech V1 S-trim with 3.12 pulley, vortech aftercooler, dual pass front mount heat exchanger, Anderson power pipe, vortech maxflow race valve. The rest of the setup is SCT BA 3000 MAF, 42lb injectors, dual cobra pumps and hat, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .030", Hedman LTs, offroad prochamber, flomaster catback
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
Polished Vortech V1 S-trim with 3.12 pulley, vortech aftercooler, dual pass front mount heat exchanger, Anderson power pipe, vortech maxflow race valve. The rest of the setup is SCT BA 3000 MAF, 42lb injectors, dual cobra pumps and hat, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at .030", Hedman LTs, offroad prochamber, flomaster catback
Nice, about he same as me sorta ! lol. Do you think it would be work getting
3 inch exhaust pipeing from the x-pipe all the way back? Would I benifit from it with the blower on there?

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360 View Post
There is a few things I can think of , the air filter may be getting wet and water might be getting pulled past the MAF, your crank trigger sensor might have a crack in it or loose wire and it could be shorting out when wet
I would def say these two could be it, esp if the air filter is in the fender close to the ground. I bought the KB cool air kit thing and the filter pretty much was sitting on the right fender on the air dam and water could get to it so I took it off. With the crank sensor, on a dry day get a spray water bottle crank your car off and lightly spray the crank sensor and see if something happens.
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post

Nice, about he same as me sorta ! lol. Do you think it would be work getting
3 inch exhaust pipeing from the x-pipe all the way back? Would I benifit from it with the blower on there?

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

I would def say these two could be it, esp if the air filter is in the fender close to the ground. I bought the KB cool air kit thing and the filter pretty much was sitting on the right fender on the air dam and water could get to it so I took it off. With the crank sensor, on a dry day get a spray water bottle crank your car off and lightly spray the crank sensor and see if something happens.
I wouldn't worry with the exhaust. Thanks for the tip though I will try the crank sensor first chance I get
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sounds like your MAF is getting wet.
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Update: Rained a little here last nite, went out and I have no misfire this morning. I've been thinking and want to see what you guys think. I believe I am going to wait until its dry and take a spray bottle and spray down the coils and test it out then spray down the MAF and retest. Any thoughts or other troubleshooting ideas would be great!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would say double check the MAF and filter. What front bumper are you running
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I switched to the 03/04 Cobra front bumper
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I switched to the 03/04 Cobra front bumper
Your likely sucking in water in your right side brake duct next to your fog light. I placed a thin sheet of black foam behind the duct and put a clamp around so It wouldn't come off. I will take a pic of it. You likely are getting some water saturation on your filter
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think is your filter as well
Gera8712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla View Post
Your likely sucking in water in your right side brake duct next to your fog light. I placed a thin sheet of black foam behind the duct and put a clamp around so It wouldn't come off. I will take a pic of it. You likely are getting some water saturation on your filter
I would appreciate it! That makes perfect sense and I wondered about that as well. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go. This method still allows cold air to get in the fender well without water going straight on to the filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3167511194.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	83270  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same issue when i was running the power pipe. It doesnt take much water to throw off the MAF. Once you hit boost it sucks that much harder on the filter and draws in even the slightest bit of moisture. I actually moved my intake higher so its basically right at the opening of the fender from the engine bay. Intake temps were the same and i didnt have issues with the water anymore
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilla View Post
Here you go. This method still allows cold air to get in the fender well without water going straight on to the filter
Thanks man!! I will have to give that a shot.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesickstang01 View Post
I had the same issue when i was running the power pipe. It doesnt take much water to throw off the MAF. Once you hit boost it sucks that much harder on the filter and draws in even the slightest bit of moisture. I actually moved my intake higher so its basically right at the opening of the fender from the engine bay. Intake temps were the same and i didnt have issues with the water anymore
I am going to try Mzilla's idea, but I am also going to do this as well. I am going to remove a section of the pipe in my fender so that my filter isn't laying on the inside lip of the bumper and everything will be set a little higher off the ground. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Here's is what I used i got it out if some package i received. Had to add a little photo op
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1889431392.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	83300  
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

LOL thanks M! And please feel free to take all the photo opps of that car you want!! Your car is my favorite one on the site and my goal is to be able to make mine look half that nice!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I have some pics but I've been waiting till I got under the hood detailed and got pics of it too because I know if I put up body pics and no engine pics you guys will kill me lol. Here is an incentive, help me fix my car faster and I will be able to button everything up and get the pics for you faster! lol

But on a more serious note, I have considered the air filter being an issue bc I did change to a different one this time. I have also considered the COPs but I PRAY its not that. My first suspicion was the MAF but I haven't been able to test anything yet as the rain has quit and I don't feel like dumping buckets of water under my hood lol
If under the hood is dirty you will have a hard time troubleshooting this. I would suggest cleaning everything thoroughly before doing anything. By doing so you will be able to inspect everything closely. It's impossible to troubleshoot anything that's dirty.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
If under the hood is dirty you will have a hard time troubleshooting this. I would suggest cleaning everything thoroughly before doing anything. By doing so you will be able to inspect everything closely. It's impossible to troubleshoot anything that's dirty.
Its not dirty, I just don't have it sparkling and shining the way I want it to be before I show it off
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Ok, good luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! I am hoping we have it figured out. Just have to wait for the rain now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT