Clutch problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Clutch problem

Every time I go to push my clutch pedal in it makes a grinding screeching sound and when I let it out it still makes a little squeaky sound. Anyone have an idea what it could be? I'm thinking its throw out bearing but is there anyway I can tell with dropping trans first?
Blackedoutpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Either throw out or the pilot bearing is out. Don't really know a way to check it without pulling it.
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
As the sound continues after releasing the clutch, it points to the throw out bearing. The only way the pilot bearing would continue to make noise is if the clutch is slipping. No matter what, time to buy a new clutch package. Replace everything, it is silly not to as you have it apart. Be sure to resurface the flywheel. Good luck.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman325 View Post
As the sound continues after releasing the clutch, it points to the throw out bearing. The only way the pilot bearing would continue to make noise is if the clutch is slipping. No matter what, time to buy a new clutch package. Replace everything, it is silly not to as you have it apart. Be sure to resurface the flywheel. Good luck.
So order clutch kit, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and might as well buy new slave cylinder right? Then resurface the flywheel if needed?
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Isn't it a cable clutch?
95v686gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea nvm I have my parts list down now...wasn't thinking that I don't even have a slave cylinder lol. But thanks for all of your feedback. So with that said I'm ordering clutch kit, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch fork, and new flywheel.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Make sure to use the ford racing TOB and pilot bearings. They usually hold up much better the the ones in the kits. And I don't know it it is necessary, but I replaced my fork when I did my clutch.
Xtrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
Make sure to use the ford racing TOB and pilot bearings. They usually hold up much better the the ones in the kits. And I don't know it it is necessary, but I replaced my fork when I did my clutch.
Yupp I ordered the ford racing pilot and throw out bearings I ordered brand new steel flywheel just to be sure a clutch fork and full clutch kit and the arp bolts and dowel kit. But I appreciate the help.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
You are approaching it correctly. Thing is, having those shards dump out of the bell housing points to them possibly being imbedded into the clutch at this point. Having the parts on hand when you tear it apart is smarter than tearing it apart and not having a critical part. Truth is, you can probably have the flywheel resurfaced just fine, but having a new one on hand is easy to do, then you can always have the one you take out resurfaced and coated with LP3 for the future or sell on e bay.
Best of luck.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
You are approaching it correctly. Thing is, having those shards dump out of the bell housing points to them possibly being imbedded into the clutch at this point. Having the parts on hand when you tear it apart is smarter than tearing it apart and not having a critical part. Truth is, you can probably have the flywheel resurfaced just fine, but having a new one on hand is easy to do, then you can always have the one you take out resurfaced and coated with LP3 for the future or sell on e bay.
Best of luck.
Whats lp3
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Best of luck.
It was the throw out bearing (shredded). I replaced clutch flywheel clutch fork throw out bearing and pilot bearing it feels better then ever. Thanks for the help everyone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT