Hard Accel. Rattle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hard Accel. Rattle

On hard acceleration I get a rattle that's coming from either the same area I hear the TOB chirp or my drivers front wheel..any ideas? Related to TOB? Only rattles on hard acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It could be detonation/pre-igniion ("pinking" is the descriptive name the Brits have for it), and therefore bad--if you back off the throttle just a bit does it stop?

How many miles on the engine, what is it's history (mostly did someone previously "baby" it)?

Is it the stock tune? What octane fuel are you running?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
It could be detonation/pre-igniion ("pinking" is the descriptive name the Brits have for it), and therefore bad--if you back off the throttle just a bit does it stop?

How many miles on the engine, what is it's history (mostly did someone previously "baby" it)?

Is it the stock tune? What octane fuel are you running?
110k miles..apparently yes it was very taken care of, looks brand new the day it came off the lot, when I first got it 9 months ago my mechanic said it was nearly perfect condition all around..I did run 87 but lately have been running 89 too see if it was detonation but it hasn't stopped..it really sounds like it comes specifically from the front drivers side of the car, it's isn't crazy loud, can't notice it with windows up, only with windows down and only in drivers side, I hear it extra I guess cuz I now look for the noise everytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Stock tune...just put in 91 ill see how it is tomorrow, really hope it's not detonation, from what I read it doesn't seem like it but totally could be
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Carbon can build up in the combustion chamber, and on the top of the pistons, on engines that are not ever "wrung out" to their full or even partial potential. This will raise the compression ratio and make the engine more prone to pinging. If the "rattle" stops when you back off the throttle even a little bit then it is almost certainly detonation.

Have the plugs ever been changed? When the gap wears wide the energy needed to ionise the gap rises, more energy = more heat and it could be that the side electrode is running hot and causing pre-ignition; you may need colder plugs.

You should do a compression check, if the compression is very high (> 220 psi) it could be a problem with carbon buildup.

The AFR needs to be monitored as well using a wideband O² system, it could be the engine is running lean at WOT--though with the stock tune this is rather unlikely. You may also wish to disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes which will clear the KAM (Keep Alive Memory). The PCM stores learned values, including the Long Term Fuel Trims used in open-loop (high load and WOT) operation, in the KAM--resetting it will force the PCM to relearn those values.

I reset the KAM a couple times a year when the BIG seasonal changes happen...

Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Would this happen with my car in neutral and revving? Will I still hear it?

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Appreciate all your help seriously couldn't ask for a better explanation
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Appreciate all your help seriously couldn't ask for a better explanation
Possibly, but probably not...

Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

How bad is pinging for the engine? If it is even pinging which I'm not positive it is, than its a very light ping, doesn't seem to do it at low rpm but not positive..I don't really get on the car too much so it's not like ever trip I take in it I'm WOT
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How bad is pinging for the engine? If it is even pinging which I'm not positive it is, than its a very light ping, doesn't seem to do it at low rpm but not positive..I don't really get on the car too much so it's not like ever trip I take in it I'm WOT
Very light pinging is not the end of the world, however it is also not good or representative of proper engine operation. My '03 is running its "winter tune" now, when the weather warms up it will start to ping a bit at high loads and WOT--that's when I know it's time to load the summer tune.

It's up to you...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Very light pinging is not the end of the world, however it is also not good or representative of proper engine operation. My '03 is running its "winter tune" now, when the weather warms up it will start to ping a bit at high loads and WOT--that's when I know it's time to load the summer tune.

It's up to you...
Winter tune/ summer tune? Haven't really noticed it ever did this in the summer months, now it's below freezing could that be a problem? Also disconnecting the battery for 5-7 minutes may help? I've never done this especially since it got cold
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Winter tune/ summer tune? Haven't really noticed it ever did this in the summer months, now it's below freezing could that be a problem?
I actually have three tunes, one for each of the 2-1/2 seasons (HOT, Hot and Nice) we have here--we are now about 1/2 way through Nice. That you didn't notice it may just mean that you did not notice it--without hearing the sound myself I cannot say.

It could also be that you live in one of those places where they have seasonal formulations for gasoline, with the winter blend being lower octane that the summer mix.

Quote:
Also disconnecting the battery for 5-7 minutes may help? I've never done this especially since it got cold
As I said above I recommend doing this a couple times a year--the only annoyance about doing so is resetting the clock and radio presets...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I actually have three tunes, one for each of the 2-1/2 seasons (HOT, Hot and Nice) we have here--we are now about 1/2 way through Nice. That you didn't notice it may just mean that you did not notice it--without hearing the sound myself I cannot say.

It could also be that you live in one of those places where they have seasonal formulations for gasoline, with the winter blend being lower octane that the summer mix.

As I said above I recommend doing this a couple times a year--the only annoyance about doing so is resetting the clock and radio presets...
So disconnected my battery for about 15-20 min, reconnected it, and wow it actually seems better from the 30 minute drive I just took I really don't think I heard it..now what does doing this a few times a year actually do for the car?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

From my posting above (emphasis added):

"The PCM stores learned values, including the Long Term Fuel Trims used in open-loop (high load and WOT) operation, in the KAM--resetting it will force the PCM to relearn those values."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT