Replacing a 2002 ford mustang key and remote? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Replacing a 2002 ford mustang key and remote?

I was robbed last night with my buddies keys to his car. So i need to replace it but i also want to change the remote coding so that they cannot try to steal it (since i was robbed very close to his house) what are my options? should i pay 300 for a dealer or do i have cheaper alternatives?
hawiovi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have any keys left to the car? If so you will be able to get a key from the dealer and have the existing key and the new key reprogrammed. There is no connector in the trunk on a 2002 mustang. The only way to program a key is to take it to the dealer and have them do it. The same goes for the remote. You can buy a used one, but there are a few different types. Make sure you are getting exactly what you had. There is a procedure to program your remotes. It can be done by a dealer also. Since they are already programming keys they most likely will not charge you to reprogram the remote. It only takes about 15 seconds anyways. After you reprogram the keys and the remotes the stolen ones will not start or unlock the car anymore. If a dealer wants to charge you 300 dollars to do this then you need to find another dealer. The keys are about 30 the remote 50 and it should only be a half hour labor to program everything.
adron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Dream is right, I had a 96 Saleen convertible that only had one key and remote. I got the remote from E-Bay for about 25 dollars and it's super easy to code it. When you open the trunk, on the lower left side there will be a female connector. Cross this with a paper clip and your door locks will lock three times. When it does this, press the button on the remote and it codes itself. Good luck and dont pay dealer price, it really is this easy
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ebay has a ton of them
jakome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

nope you must go through dealer
imported_conan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT