Changing cams on a mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Changing cams on a mustang?

i own a 1996 mustang gt. have a few bolt ons pushing about 260hp and i just got a new slp II exhaust love the sound and just want that mean idle to go along with it so im looking at buying some cams and dont really know wht one to buy for the idle im going for i just want the hot rod style just a loud thump and wht rpm range does that is it a low idle at about 500rpm or a high idle at about 2500rpm need help thanks
donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Call Comp Cams and tell them what you added and want to achieve.
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The trend among Mustangs is going to a cam from a company called "Hi-Tek"From what I've heard from guys that install them in their rides,these cams make the most hp and torque w/o changing the valve springs.When you start getting into high lift cams and the engine turning close to 6500-7000 rpms,you need a spring that has a higher seat pressure rating or the valves will "float"at the higher rpms,basically the valves will not open and close all the way due to the high rpm.Some cams require you to cut reliefs into the tops of the pistons to clear the valves because of the very high lift of the cams.Whatever cam you choose,ask alot of questions,I mean really quiz the tech people about there product.I've seen to many guys spend good $$ on cams and spring,install them and the next weekend take them out because his car ran better w/the stock cams he had in it.Yeah it sounded great,but they could never get it to run right.
ruhleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Crane Cams could help you with the best cam for your driving. You can give them the parameters and they can give you the best cam for that.

On the T.V. shows crane seems to be the most used choice, instead of getting a complete crate engine.

You could also try a different muffler to get the sound you like for a lot cheaper than a new cam set up. Most manufacturers have specailist to pick mufflers for the desired sound.
aronek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

give these guys a call, they will advise you on your best options, from street sleeper, to dragger.
duck-young is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT