I have a 1999 mustang GT what would be a good engine swap for more power? or should i just mod mine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1999 mustang GT what would be a good engine swap for more power? or should i just mod mine?

You can swap in a DOHC 4.6L or a 5.4L if you get a new hood. But it would more practical and easier to go with a supercharger or turbo. I have Kenne Bell supercharger on my 03 GT and I an very pleased with it.

Graham H : It's more than top speed. Unless you live in Germany, top speed is largely irrelevant. Even those sub- 2-liter superminis that are popular over in Europe can exceed the posted speed limits. For the most part Americans like acceleration. In the UK a 0-60 time of 11 seconds is considered acceptable, over here it is not. Since we are not burdened with ridiculous fuel taxes, the average person here can buy and afford to run a petrol V8 powered car.
jonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1999 mustang GT what would be a good engine swap for more power? or should i just mod mine?

If it's still strong and reasonably low mileage, go with a set of 3 valve heads, open exhaust, bigger injectors and cold air intake. Total cost - 3-5 grand depending on how much work you do yourself.

If you want to swap in a new motor - consider a crate 5.0, or look for a 32 valve 4.6 from a Cobra. Unlimited horsepower potential with the SVT engine.
colbert31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Just go for headers and extractors if the engine is in good condition.As far as power is concerned the GT engine is very good!!! for the sizeof the car it has to pull along!! Pwer to weight ratio is the best!!
eimhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

charlie, it is a 4.6L not a 5.0L in 1999. Stay with that motor and mod it. There are soo many things to do to make more power. Start with exhaust, and then move to the intake side.
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

There's plenty of mods available for modular engines. This month's issue of MMFF (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords) is featuring mod-motor upgrades.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

If the car has under 100,000 miles, just supercharge or turbo it. If not, swap out a cobra engine I've seen a few they're like 6 grand
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just modify the engine you got. You can give it more power without swapping. Save money and time.
wicleah26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

just re-build yours bore it out 30over or 40 over or 60 over, but beware its going to run hot, the thinner the sleeve the hotter the temp. if you want hp. thats what ya gotta do. or just stay with 5.0 and put bigger cam. but you need to raise commpression on pistons . theres alot to do ford mustang engine is a power house, its like a hp factory, good motor, just depends on how much money you want to spend.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm just curious but you Americans live in a country that won't let your cars be driven at half the speed they are capable of so what is the point of increasing the power you already can't use?

Is it a testosterone thing or what?
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

GO for the Audi naturally aspirated V8, you can pick them up for about $6500, but they are difficult to find.

Good times!
ranier is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1999 mustang