My 2001 mustang gt is blowing blue smoke,why, and how much? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My 2001 mustang gt is blowing blue smoke,why, and how much?

my 2001 mustang gt is blowing blue smoke, why is it doing this, and how much to fix it? i don't race the car, never have. i take really good care of it. regular oil change, tune up, etc. your input is greatly appreciated.
eoghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

White smoke is water not fuel, fuel would be black or nothing. With that out of the way it is burning oil. First check the oil level and be sure it is not over filled. Try changing the oil and use 5w 30, non synthetic. Most likely cause is piston rings or valve seals. Valve seals will cost 3 to 4 hundred. Re-ringing will be $1,500 to $2,500 to rebuild.
taurino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Compression check wet and dry.

Dry: Which is one plug at a time to get a baseline number for each cylinder. Make sure during this whole time you have the coil pack wiring harness pulled out so it dont start on you.

Wet: pour a few ounces of 30wt cheap oil with a straw or funnel into each plug hole you are doing and crank it to get your wet numbers.

The dry checks your regular compression overall. The wet test uses oil to seal your piston rings and gets them out of the picture. So in that test your seeing if the valves and guides are worn. If the numbers go way up in wet then your rings are done, if they stay the same then your heads are worn out.
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

With fords there are two causes of blue smoke. the first is the easiest to fix. excess crankcase pressure will force oil from the head and valve cover into the combustion chamber. so you have to clean out or replace the pcv valves on the valve covers, this can be done with brake or carb cleaner. the secon is worn out valve guides and you will have to remove the heads and take them to a machine shop, unless you know the rings are bad then it is time for an overhaul
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Blue smoke is burning oil. White smoke would be a fuel issue. Sounds like there is some oil getting into the cylinder somehow. Keep an eye on your oil level to see how much is being burnt. Could be a failing head gasket unfortunately.
mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Could be valve seals. Pull every plug 1 by 1 and see which one has oil on it and that is the cylinder that is burning oil.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2001 mustang