2001 Ford mustang blowing blue smoke. would it be cheaper to replace engine or overhaul the motor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

2001 Ford mustang blowing blue smoke. would it be cheaper to replace engine or overhaul the motor?

My 2001 mustang gt is blowing blue smoke,why, and how much?
my 2001 mustang gt is blowing blue smoke, why is it doing this, and how much to fix it? i don't race the car, never have. i take really good care of it. regular oil change, tune up, etc. if it is the piston rings, would it be cheaper to just buy a new engine?
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

2001 Ford mustang blowing blue smoke. would it be cheaper to replace engine or overhaul the motor?

depends on how much work you want to do yourself. 302's arent that hard to fix but the diy'er will stumble on the fuel injection. the rest of the engine is easy to do. and by the sound of your tale, the sombody beat the **** of it b4 u got it. or if u are not a diy'er etheir sign a blank cheque or by a new crate engine. i recomend the world products ford 347. sbf that will put the cat among the pigeons!
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you're burnin oil. possibly piston rings valve guides or the valves aren't seating properly and oil's leaking into the combustion chamber. and it depends on weather you can do it yourself or not. if you can't good luck finding a cheaper engine that isn't in need of an immediate rebuild. however if you replace the rings you know they're going to be good and there isn't that if factor when buying a used motor from somebody then you have no clue what you're getting. i would personally just replace the rings if that's the problem. you ain't going to know until you tear her apart though but with rings i'd just replace them instead of going with a different used motor. then again shops around here don't like doing rings because they can't make as much money off of engine rebuilds because it takes a while. good luck with that problem though it ain't exactly a fun thing.
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If it's a 2001, there's something seriously wrong if it's blowing smoke and you don't beat on it.

It's the valves if it's making a hammering noise as you're on the gas.

It's the pistons if it sounds right while smoking.

I would swap the engine. If you're honest about not beating on it, someone else treated that engine badly and now you get to pay for it.

Crate engines cost about $3k and figure in another $500 to $1k to install it. It's actually not that bad a job for a DIYer if you're clever.
chesmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You don't say what type of engine. Have someone check the cylinder
head it could be a blown gasket. If there is no noise coming from the engine then the bottom half is OK. Worn valve seat or bad valve stem seals will seep oil into the cylinders causing it to smoke bluish to blackish smoke, the head gasket will do the same if you wait too long
it might overheat your engine or dump the coolant into your crankcase which it will be worse. It could size your engine.
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No matter what the problem is, it will be cheaper to fix than to buy a new engine.
nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Valve stem seals are known bad on Ford V8 4.6L.Replace them cost in the hundreds of dollars,anything else will cost in the thousands.
kippar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Does it blow smoke all the time or just as it warms up?
If so could be valve seals.The seals can be changed with out removeing the heads. won't caust much at all.
E mail me and i can tell you how to to that.
If it's rings or head gaskets, take a compression chack.
If compression varries 20 psi or more that would be the problem cylinder.
Just anouther thought, check your pcv also. it could be sucking oil.
charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Just change your rings.
tedmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

if the engine is 4.6L, its the valve seals
overhauling engine has no guarantee, changing it does
culloden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Gooseboy, its a 4.6 car not a 5.0 car you flippin moron...
jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If the motor happens to be a 302,or 5.0, replace the valve seals
curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like you may have blown the head gasket, but there may be other problems as well, have you lost power, depending on the damage to the engine it may be cheaper to put in a rebuilt engine. .
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

first the guy who said a head gasket is full of @#it,
second if you do it yourself-its cheaper to rebuild
third the problem is- valves, piston rings or timing
forth- the rebuild kit is $500-600, the new engine is $3000-$4000+ labor

I will do it on my own, but depend on your skills....
natal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

First have ERG valve checked it can be sucking oil from valve cover putting it into
the air intake.Make sure they did not over fill with oil.Could be valve seals that lets oil go down the valve stem.Piston rings a oil ring can go
bad for many reason the most common is get over heated
Call local garage that you trust ask what it will cost to rebuild it
and while there in there replace the timing chain.You can call a salvage
yard see what they want for one.a new one or short block Advance can
give you a price for that. complete new one will not be cheap
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT