Why does my mustang overheat when the a/c is turned on? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my mustang overheat when the a/c is turned on?

I have a 2001 mustang gt ond it overheats in traffic when the a/c is on. If driving(on the freeway or open road) it acts fine, and will cool off if hot.
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my mustang overheat when the a/c is turned on?

First of all I would send the car into a shop to have the cooling system flushed/cleaned, it's not very expensive and it could alleviate your problem entirely. Whatever happens, cleaning your cooling system always helps, but in the event that it does not help as much there are a few things to check. If you have a electric fan you will see three wires going into it, one is the ground, one is for 'low' speed, and the other is for 'high' speed. The 'low' speed wire is used when the A/C is not operating, and the 'high' speed wire is for when it is working. I guess I should of told you to check to see if the fan IS even working, but I assume that it is seeing as it doesn't overheat when the A/C is off.
Two things that would cause your fan to malfunction are the thermostat (tells the computer the temp. of the motor and adjusts the fan speed accordingly), and the Constant Control Relay Module (controls the 'high' speed setting wire on the fan when A/C is on). The relay is located behind the coolant overflow canister, but I don't know where the thermostat is located on the 4.6L, just the 3.8L.
Hope this helps.
colton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT