MIL eliminators - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

MIL eliminators

i bought 2 mil eliminators from ninosport last summer, rode them all summer, then this summer 1 smoked, then i got a service engine light from the other 02 sensor, then its replacement smoked.

Is there another way to make the computer not look at or think those 02 sensors are fine so that the service engine light is not on?

Does anyone know of a good reputible MIL elimator and where to get it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MIL.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	19302  
lowering kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: MIL eliminators

Get a SCT X-cal tuner and delete the 02 senors

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

the tuners always seemed interesting to me but i dont understand what you can do with them or how you know what to do with them. If i bought a tuner i would want to try to make my car faster as well as eliminate the o2 sensors but dont know anything about tuning and dont want to mess up my car? Any/all info on the tuners would be great. Thanks

ps-also i learned you can make your own mil eliminators:
PaladinMicro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

its pretty much fail safe, get the tuner, bump the timing and fuel up a little, and deletet he o2 sensors, and set speedo with the gear offset. ive seen some car-retards program thier car before.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

also, has anyone else ever smoked a mil eliminator?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowering kit View Post
also, has anyone else ever smoked a mil eliminator?
\

Only once didn't like the high

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Road Trip!

i havent had any problems with them, try changing that 02 next time.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

are diablo and sct the 2 big tuners?

ive been looking into them alittle, do you just hook it up, turn off the rear 02 sensors, dump in the 89,91, or 93 octane program and done?

Can you change the shift points in an auto to make it like you have a "shift kit", what do you change for that, shifting points for rpm, mph?? when i talked to sct they said there was a firmness adjust but couldnt really explain what that meant very well. They also said that you couldnt adjust for rpm only mph and the mph only took affect if the throttle was wide open.
it would seem like you would need to make the car shift at a higher rpm and have more firmness so that it squeeked when shifting, but i dont think i really dont know what im talking about.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Road Trip!

we sell the granatelli fuego as well as the sct and diablo, for a beginner, the fuego is a good item, it lets you adjust all that you are asking about and is easy to understand, i can walk you through it on a shop car over the phone.from how your talking, the diablo or granatelli is your best bet.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Check out VMP Tuning Inc or PM Justin on here (user ID is Justin i believe) and ask him about the tuners. I know you can buy one from him with 3 tunes already installed waiting for you to load on your car. That will have all the fuel, timing, and shift settings already pre-set for you...as well as the 02 sensor delete.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Road Trip!

i didnt know he was on here, i was gonna get him to write my turbo tune until we bought our own dyno.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyOrangeTPS View Post
i didnt know he was on here, i was gonna get him to write my turbo tune until we bought our own dyno.
He's one of our supporting vendors...

Here he is... http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/users/2839/
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

so i could buy a programmer and/or a program from this guy that would be somehow different/better than the one(s) that come on the programmer?

SimplyOrangeTPS: how much are you sellin the fuego for and do you have a website
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Yes, the ones on the programmer suck....where as the ones coming from Justin will be based on his years of tuning experience...with special tweaks and what not that don't come with the canned tunes in the programmer.

And yes they (TPS) have a website, however, it is not a fully functional one yet...I will be working with them to get it up and running to its fullest once they finish moving into their new shop.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Yes, the ones on the programmer suck....where as the ones coming from Justin will be based on his years of tuning experience...with special tweaks and what not that don't come with the canned tunes in the programmer.

And yes they (TPS) have a website, however, it is not a fully functional one yet...I will be working with them to get it up and running to its fullest once they finish moving into their new shop.
ill have to check the price sheet, we arent fully set up yet. depending on how much of a hurry your in, we can write you an sct tune and send it to you in the programmer, are just waiting on our dyno and software.if you want it now, justin is the way to go, i have yet to hear a single negative thing even about his mailorder tunes.if you want to be able to play with it yourself, you could use the fuego and i can tell you some settings that have been useful for me on a few cars.

rob, need to get with benjy about being a supporting vendor.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

hahaha not this again... one quick reference then im done... *cough* sniper *cough* ...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

so.....300+$ later after buying a tuner it comes with junk tunes becuase the people who make the tuners dont test their tunes?
Old 06-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
so.....300+$ later after buying a tuner it comes with junk tunes becuase the people who make the tuners dont test their tunes?
not exactly, there are parameters you can change on your own but without a dyno, its hard to dial it in perfect. the baseline tunes are pretty much based on stock vehicles. they also limit your capabilities so you cant damage your engine, whereas when you buy the tuning software that costs thousands, you can plug the programmer into a labtop and tune it precisely how you want it but only if you have a dyno or datalogger to record what the engine is doing, if you arent looking for a perfect tune and just want the mil to go off, a simple program will work fine, the dyno tune is for more high-performance applications.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

To expand upon what Jarod says above, basically here you go.

The canned tunes from SCT/Diablo/etc, are just that, canned. They basically set some parameter values that are going to work on all vehicles of that type. These are "ok" in the fact that you aren't going to blow your stuff up, but they are not optimum.

Tuners, like VMP, have years of experience tuning vehicles and know some particulars about what works across the board. Therefore, you will get a tune from them that is based on their experiences that is more aggressive and complete than what comes standard with the tuners. There will be little tweaks here and there that the manufacturer didn't include.

At the same time, you can buy a tuner for say $399 from VMP that just comes with the canned tunes that are mediocre at best. Or, you could buy a tuner from VMP for $399 that comes with 3 "custom" tunes for your vehicle that are better than the canned tunes.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

how do the canned tunes compare to the factory tune ?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
how do the canned tunes compare to the factory tune ?
Somewhat better, but not much.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

"Or, you could buy a tuner from VMP for $399 that comes with 3 "custom" tunes for your vehicle"

what are the 3 tunes, wouldnt you just need 1 ?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

3 tunes....

1 : **** gas 87 octane
2 : Safe street tune, maximizing performance while not being on the cutting edge
3 : Aggressive tune for going to the track to squeeze every once of performance out of your car

Or...

1 : 87 Octane tune ...
2 : 89 Octane tune ...
3 : 93 Octane tune ...

Each tune changes the timing/fuel curves to maximize the performance for the specific situation. The shift points would pretty much all be the same, just the timing and fuel curves would be different.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

any/all other comments on this topic would be greatly appreciated. it just seems like BS that you spend that much on a programmer and it comes with a crappy program. You would have to assume that at one point one of these guys, diablo, granatelli, sct had a mustang on a dyno, and ran various tests on it to get their stock programs.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

Here let me sum it up for ya LoweringKit:

You really have 2 routes. Both start the same way:
1.) Buy a programmer (I'm a fan of SCT)
2.) Either do the mail one from Jason at VMP, or 2b.) find a local tuner to make you specific exactly for your car.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #26
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
any/all other comments on this topic would be greatly appreciated. it just seems like BS that you spend that much on a programmer and it comes with a crappy program. You would have to assume that at one point one of these guys, diablo, granatelli, sct had a mustang on a dyno, and ran various tests on it to get their stock programs.
Ok, here you go:

Buy a diablo programmer
Install a smaller pulley on an 03/04 cobra
Install the stock canned tune for that smaller pulley on the cobra
Run your car on the dyno and moniter the A/F ratios

A. Your air fuel ratio is dangerously lean...some have see it in the range of 13:1 (people in coastal and low lying areas where the air is much thicker)....or
B. Your air fuel ratio is pig rich...others have seen it in the 10.5-11:1 ratio. (people in high elevations where the air is much thinner) or
C. Your air fuel ratio is spot on because you just happen to live in the exact conditions the canned tune was created in.

That is just one example. You see, even if they put the car on a dyno and run the tests, the environment around the entire US is NOT the same. You can not install the same tune for someone living in Boulder Colorado as you would for someone living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The air temps, altitudes, etc are all completely different.

Therefore, the manufacturers of these tuners have to leave in some room for varience.

However, if you get a tune from XYZ tuner like VMP, they will specifically ask you what your current elevation is. For example, when I asked for a mail order tune from RWTD in mobile, they wanted to know what my elevation is, what the envirnonmental temps are like, what brand gas I would be running, and what has been done to my car. Why did they ask this info? because all of it affects the tune parameters. There is a lot more to tuning then to just blindly change numbers because it worked on one car....altitude, air temp, humidity, mods, etc all come into play when you start changing fuel and timing curves.

The manufacturer can not account for every single scenario in the tuning software. Therefore, they have to get the general idea for settings and then build in some room for variations. This extra room is lost performance if you go super rich, or dangerous conditions if you go super lean.

Now, here is a simple question for you. What would be the difference of paying $399 for a tuner with canned manufacturer tunes on it, and paying $399 for the same tuner with custom tunes on it?

None the less, if that doesn't clear it up, someone else will need to chime in and try to clarify it some more.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Thought of an easier scenario to describe on the way home...

If you go out and buy something that is one size fits all...say, a shirt or pair of short or a robe...it will fit some, it will be somewhat small on others, very small on others, yet too big for yet others. Just because something is one size fits all does not make it the right size for all.

Same thing with a tune...just because it works on one car does not mean it will work on all cars in all locations in all situations.

I'm sure that when I drive to NY this fall that I will end up running rich due to going up a ton in elevation compared to my home base....so, even my custom dyno tune is not going to be fit for all situations so how can a standard canned "one size fits all" tune be good for everyone?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

air temp, humidity, these things change day to day, im tryin to stick with you guys here on this one, it just seems like the "custom tune" done for my car without my car being there and without them being at my current altitude for testings. it doesnt seem like taking these things into consideration can change a tune that much and then if you travel somewhere else your car runs like crap??? i could be and probably am but, sounds alittle like bs to me
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

dont get me wrong though i definately do appreciate the info and help
Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

ehhh.......... you okay there man? there is no BS in a tuner lol. When you live on the coast like pure and I do, your air pressure and god knows so much more is different than if you go to New York or somewhere Mountainous...

Don't get me wrong, you sound like you're the type of guy that went to Advance Auto parts or O'Reiley's and bought everything they told you to buy because it would do this and that, and then you got burned. You seem to miss the real point of the posts here. Your at a mustang specialty forum with people who run shops, own shops, and people who use the goods telling you how they work and what not, but you seems like you are so... hard headed.

When I had my mustang, the Tuner wakes the car up tremendously. Most of these guys you will see purchasing one, or have had one purchased. Its a great bang for your buck addition.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #31
Road Trip!

Also he didn't say his car was going to run like ****... what he means is instead of running perfectly ideal to what his tune is set for, he'll run a little richer with the change in air pressure there and what not (humidity and temperature and so forth.) He wasn't really saying well ill start my car and it'll chug along barely misfiring and what not.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #32
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Ugh....
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Ugh....
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Here's an idea. Since you don't believe a word I am typing because I am completely clueless about this, I suggest you start discussing it with actual tuners and ask them how they can safely tune your car without your car there. Start PM'ing justin, or call him up, and call running with the devil in alabama as well, and might as well call amazon tuning in SC, and HP By herman, and mile high dyno in CO, and any one of the many other master tuners out there. Then, when they tell you the same thing you are calling BS on, then maybe you will be able to understand.

There is no BS being posted here. These tuners have years of experience. They have been in many states tuning. Many of them get flown in to different states to tune people's vehicles. Justin travels every year tuning vehicles. he has seen how tunes go from environment to environment. He isn't just some guy that sat in front of a computer and said, let's tune cars today. Tuners all save their tunes for reference when tuning other vehicles. Tuners also share their tunes with other tuners for information sharing.

So, break out the google search, search for the tuners I mentioned (some of the best in the country by the way), and see what they have to say.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

dang, i didnt mean to get your panties all in a bunch. thanks for the info guys and i gotcha, you guys are definately pro custom canned tunes or pro dyno tunes, and dont care for the factory programmer canned tunes.

i still would like to hear if there is anyone out there who has put a canned tune on their car and how it turned out for them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT