Looking into getting this mustang and.....? Need help!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Looking into getting this mustang and.....? Need help!?

I am in talk of a possible trade of my mustang plus some cash for a 2001 GT with a motor swap to a 2000 svt cobra R 5.4L motor. I know the motor is rated at 385hp at the crank and the guy has put flowmasters and an h-pipe on it so it probably sounds good.

I know a decent amount about mustangs, and the set-up he is running is a 2.5 inch. For that motor that seems way to restricted! With this motor and my plans down the road to add some hp, I'm thinking my first choice should be to swap out for a 3in exhaust set-up. What do you guys think?

2.5 just seems way to small for that output, especially since it is close to a 03/04 cobra stock which people tend to run 3in exhaust on those.
Kenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you are buying it based on the premise that it has an authentic 00 Cobra R 5.4L DOHC engine it, I would say that the seller is FOS. I am not saying that they didn't change to a 5.4L V8, but an original Cobra R engine, I seriously doubt.

As far as the exhaust, I went 10.92 at Englishtown,NJ in a turbocharged 99 GT back in 10/01(it is well documented in 04/02 MM&FF) through a 2.5" Borla cat-back Exhaust. It was a little restrictive, but not enough. Put in a 3" exhaust and you will loose some bottom end torque. That is my ugly mug with the Grey Mercedes Benz Jacket on.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ion/index.html
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i would check the authenticity of that engine before even considering a trade.. could be a lightening engine the guy is trying to push off as a n svt R engine.. in any case, 2.5" duals will be good for about 450hp +or- before they start to get restrictive. im running close to 300hp on a 2.3L turbo coupe engine in my 88 mustang with half of a gt's exhaust (2.5") and it has more in it.
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2.5 inch pipe is perfect for the size and output of the 5.4L DOHC. 3 inch would be overkill unless you went with forced induction
christianos is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT