Evap leak Small - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Evap leak Small

My Question is when my engine light came on, the car started running very poor, loss of power, the idle is rough jumps up then back down. I can also now notice a slight miss. I had the code read at advance auto it came back Evap leak small. I really dont feel the evap leak is the source of the all the symtoms. Please help.
jmarcinko00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #2

Region: North Carolina
Re: Evap leak Small

Code on my 2001 mustang gt said I had a Evap small leak. Where would this be located at .Thanks!
shawn1982ncnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana

i would agree it is probably the gas cap, i had that code 2 years ago and a new cap fixed it.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Had the same issue with mine !! I tighten the cap disconnected the battery to clear the code If that doesn't work Time for a test to find the leak

The EVAP small leak test applies vacuum to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system and monitors vacuum decay. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the vacuum decay rate. At an appropriate time, the PCM turns the EVAP canister purge valve ON (open) and the EVAP vent valve ON (closed). This allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the PCM turns the purge valve OFF (closed), sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine EVAP system vacuum decay. If the system detects a leak larger than a calibrated amount DTC P0442 will set.
The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
inspect for leaks in the following locations:
The EVAP system purge pipe.
The EVAP vapor pipe.
The EVAP vent hose/pipe.

The fuel fill pipe/hose and fuel fill cap.

The EVAP canister.
The EVAP canister vent valve.
The EVAP canister purge valve.
The fuel sender assembly and/or seal.
The FTP sensor seal.
The fill limiter vent valve, pressure relief valve, rollover valves, and fuel tank.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #6

Region: Texas

has the problem been fixed, my 01 is doing the same thing, running hard, and loss of power not to mention its using a crap load of gas. I dont see any gas leaks, but i dont think that would cause the car to run like crap.
drums4life0922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums4life0922 View Post
has the problem been fixed, my 01 is doing the same thing, running hard, and loss of power not to mention its using a crap load of gas. I dont see any gas leaks, but i dont think that would cause the car to run like crap.
PM sent my issue was the gas cap. sounds like your's is a purge valve stuck or a large vac leak

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT