I have a 1999 Mustang starting problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1999 Mustang starting problem?

Last year the same thing happened to me. I have a 1999 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 Automatic that last winter, when it started to get cold, stopped starting. It sounds like it wants to turn over, it's not a battery issue, but won't get to the point where it has turned over. Last year, it started in a lucky warm span and it was taken to the nearest Ford dealer, but they could not find anything wrong with it. They cleaned the fuel injectors and did some basic maintenance and it worked fine, but I'm not sure it was because of that as it was starting to get warm after letting it sit at the Ford dealer for a few weeks. This winter, once again, when it started to get cold, the car would not start. What could this problem be?
emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1:26 - If the vehicle is cranking and not starting have someone beat on the gas tank while someone cranks the vehicle. If it starts, you have a faulty fuel pump. No change, pull out a plug and see if you're getting spark. You are either getting no spark or no fuel. A vehicle can crank, however without both of these you will get the problem stated. More than likely, if the fuel tank trick doesnt work, it should be towed and diagnosed by a local reputable shop, not a pricey dealership.

Edit: First: "the battery did not actually fix it.." Ok, if you put another battery, it will work normally? Yes or no. If yes, then you either have a slow draw on your battery or your alternator isn't giving enough output. If no, then the motor is turning over but never actually starting which can range from multiple things like fuel pressure, sensor reading problem, etc.

---------------------------------------
Hello! To confirm, let me know if I am wrong. You turn the key and the lights come on, however the vehicle does not turn over. The motor is not making any revolutions.

1st, jump your car and if it starts it is a possible battery or alternator issue.

Second, make sure you have no suspicious lights on while the vehicle is trying to start. Confirm the theft light isn't flashing. When you try to engage the vehicle to start, do you hear the clicking of the starter? I suspect there is a possible problem with your starter relay, connection to the battery or starter or the starter itself. If you are able to do a starter draw test, it should draw about 800 amps under load. Maximum voltage drop under load should be half a volt. Make sure you do not have corrosion or connection issues by moving the wires back and forth to see if loose. If all these things check, you can tap on the starter assembly while someone tries to start the vehicle and it may start. Make sure however to be clear of any moving belts or pulleys when trying this. If you're standing at the front of the car looking at the engine, it should be located towards the front passenger side of the engine. If you are unsure about any of this, best thing to do it not to take it to a dealer, but to a local reputable shop. They will be cheaper than a dealer in diagnosis, parts, and labor. Update the question if I can help you further! Good luck.
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds like it wants to turn over

won't get to the point where it has turned over

Define "turn over" most people associate it with the operation of the starter turning the engine. Your use of the term is very unclear.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

if the battery solved it last time withe same situation, it could be the solution. but you should still find root cause. a charging system test and parasitic drain is where i would start. a battery blanket might be a wise investment after all of that is done.
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It really does to me sound like a battery problem you should have it load tested.
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You need to adjust your thinking a little bit. These engines have much finer tolerances inside than older engines did. Your engine REQUIRES a good synthetic oil instead of quicky lube generic junk that CANNOT flow to your engine bearings WHEN COLD. Remove the sludge in your engine and use MOBIL ONE 0W30 engine oil. It coats your bearings and have instant bearing response in coldest of weather. It reduces friction, most other oils INCREASE friction. Amsoil and Pennzoil ALSO make excellent synthetic oils that "meet or exceed Ford specifications." Install a set of Bosch Fusion plugs or Denso iridium plugs. You will have instant one key tap start-ups in ALL weather. Believe me, I KNOW! My 1990 Taurus would start in 30 below chill index with one key tap using this method. Be sure that your IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE is SHOWROOM clean. If you do what I say, you will be rewarded with EXTRA POWER and HIGHER FUEL MILEAGE> My Taurus got 31. Not bad for a station wagon, V6!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1999 mustang