Problem with 1999 Mustang...Fuel Pump or PATS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

marcelinho
Problem with 1999 Mustang...Fuel Pump or PATS?

A few days ago my Mustang wouldn't start and I had a mechanic look at it. He checked what we thought it would be first which was the fuel pump (I had a new one installed about a year and a half ago) That wasn't the problem since the engine is getting fuel pressure. He then connected to the computer and concluded that the PATS sytem (Passive Anti Theft System) had engaged which keeps the car from starting when it thinks someone is trying to steal the car. Also the THEFT light on the dash keeps flashing, while the alarm is disengaged. I looked online and and many mustangs of the same year have had the same problem. The mechanic told me that I had to take it to the Ford dealership since they would be the only ones to fix that system. I got it towed there this morning and I just got a call back and they are trying to tell me that its the Fuel Pump when just the other day I saw the gauge that read fuel pressure. Are they trying to scam me or can that be the same problem all over again? What should I do?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

garrett
Problem with 1999 Mustang...Fuel Pump or PATS?

The first mistake you made was taking it to a Dealership instead of a reputable independent shop! The dealerships hire "kids with tool boxes" these technicians are fresh out of trade school (they hire them because they don't have to pay them much) and have none to very little hands on experience and a few weeks of factory training (not enough)! Sorry if I got carried away! Now to answer your question, This problem is very common on the PATS system and 9 times out of 10 it is the PATS transceiver and or it's wiring!
To test:
1. Perform self-test of the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster) through the scan tool.

2. If code B1681 is present from the HEC's KOEO (Key On Engine Off) On-demand self-test, access the transceiver located just forward of the steering wheel under the ignition switch tumbler area and check the circuits at the connection.

A. A White/Light Blue (WH/LB) wire provides power to the transceiver with the key in the Run position from fuse #34 (20 amp) of the CJB (Central Junction Box)

B. A Black/White (BK/WH) wire provides the transceiver a constant ground.

C. With the key in the Run position, check the Grey/Orange (GY/OG) wire and the White/Light Green (WH/LG) wire for voltage with the transceiver disconnected.
It is not important that a specific voltage level be present on either of these two circuits other than that the circuits show something other than 0 volts, which could suggest that one of the circuits may be open or shorted to ground.

3. If the circuits of the transceiver check to be OK and the connection appears to be in good condition, replace the transceiver and re-check the startability of the engine. Clear service codes from the HEC and PCM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1999 mustang