I have oil coting the threads on the spark plugs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #1

I have oil coting the threads on the spark plugs?

i have a 2000 mustang and theirs oil on the the spark pluges not sure if it num 3 and 6 or 1 and 4 cylinders anyways it the 2 cylinders closest to the fire wall . anyways im not sure if its from damaged piston seals rings or if its from worn down pistons its slugish on the luanches. nothing shows up on the dashscan unit or my sct flash scan tuner . is their anything else that could cuase the oil on the spark plugs and also to determine the cause as to why theirs oil on the spark plugs . the head gasket seams to be fine . and if it is the pistons can repair be done without pulling the hole ingine . being i dont trust taking my car to a shop yes been burned every time i have . so i work on my own car . if i have to pull the hole ingine can it be done without a cherry picker - ingine hoist . and if not how much would one cost. but for most need to know if their is a better way to determine the problem without taking everything apart . and why it dosnt show on either my dash scan or sct flash programer since thats why cars have a ecm in the first place or are they a gimmic to . much i need to know thanx
Brone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

OIl is on the threads because the rest of the plug is hot enough to burn it off. Oil gets on the plugs from rings and valve stem seals.

The correct way to diagnose rings is with a tool known as a "Dual Gauge Leak Down Tester" and a good strong air compressor. There is NO higher accuracy diagnostic tool for this procedure. If you are going to be messing with cars/engines, then spend $100 to buy one and keep it in your tool box. It ends ALL speculation about wether a block should be torn apart to hone or not. You can buy one of these tools at Jegs or Summit. I hate those places, but they are GREAT for this sort of thing.

After you do a leak down test, let me know what the numbers are.
sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, it's a problem that's only going to get rapidly worse. There are two solutions, and you're not going to like either of them. One, you can have the motor completely rebuilt. That includes re-boring the cylinders and fitting them with new pistons and seals. Two, you can buy a new motor and have it installed. The second is probably the most economical of the two options simply because the replacement, being new from the factory, will require far less maintenance for the first several years.
stanwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oil on the threads is fine, it keeps them from seizing. You don't say what engine you have so I can't comment on whether the oil leaked onto them or not. Oil on the firing tip is not good, it means you have worn or broken rings at the very least.
edoardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if it,s just on the threads then the valve pan gasket is leaking oil. as long as the oil is not on the firing tips of the plugs your okay.
imported_driscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

didnt read the whole question dont have time so i dont know the whole problem. but by the title i think i can help oil on the spark plugs usually means bad valve cover gasket.
telfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT