What parts are needed to replace the head gasket on a 1996 mustang gt? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What parts are needed to replace the head gasket on a 1996 mustang gt?

Just curious, but I am wondering, exactly what parts are needed to replace the head gaskets on a 96 mustang gt with a 4.6 liter engine? I don't have to know ratchet sizes or wrenches needed or anything like that, as much as replaceable parts that are going to be needed. As far as gasket sets go I'm thinking Fel Pro seems to be the best bet and I know I have to replace the two head bolts. I am looking to gather everything up or at least be prepared with what I know I will need (sure I will find more as I get into it) before I start. I am not a complete novice as I have worked on some other of my cars here and there and expect this to be a much easier car to work with than my 92 Lexus that I used to have. I just prefer to double check with others that have more knowledge than I do. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for the time.
columbanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You can purchase complete gasket kits for this. A valve grind gasket kit would be a good choice.

A complete gasket kit would cost less money than purchasing the gaskets individually. You will also have every gasket that you would need to complete the job. You would not need to reuse any old gaskets that could cause future problems. Most major auto parts stores sell these gasket kits.

Also. Modern engines use torque to yield cylinder head bolts. These cylinder head bolts can not be reused. They must be replaced each time you remove them. Now is not a good time to go cheap trying to reuse these bolts. You would be just asking for a blown head gasket in the near future. Besides, these are not all that expensive.

A service manual is a must. I would not attempt a job like this without a manual. The good news is that there is a free alternative. Try the Auto Zone website. They have a free online service manual that you can access for most vehicles. You can not download this manual. But you are allowed to print any pages that you need. You must register on the website to access this manual. However, I have never received any SPAM by registering.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
ann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

First, you can't replace 2 head bolts. The bolts stretch with use and have different amounts of clamping force with the same torque, so mismatched bolts tend to cause new head gaskets blowing out. Replace them all
A decent head kit will have all the seals and gaskets you need for the job.

Mad Jack has a good philosophy.
bour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #4

best to replace ALL head bolts
2 torque wrench a must. a sears/sraftsman click/clicker best bang for ur buck
3 shop manual 30 dollars A must if your messing inside engine..makes you smarter
4 a 3 or 4 valve head is not like standard OHV..read up
5 you must retorque after a few hot cold cycles,,
6 case of adult beverage
Iago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I would say the only thing left would be to make sure they are torqued right and you run a compression test when you are done to make sure there is a good seal,, with no leakage ! !
achazya63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

replace the head gaskets only should not be other parts needed unless your doing a valve also
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

the 4.6 is a pain, you will have more problems than you know i would take it to someone else, then top of the motor is harder than you know to get off because the bolts are hidden and take special sockets just to get to the ones in the middle of the plenium. patience is a big help on this project.

parts will cost about 350.oo

parts needed; just to get to the head gaskets......upper plenium gasket, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, whole set of head bolts (they are NOT reusable), in comes in a KIT..
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1996 mustang