Why does my 2002 mustang shift so poorly? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my 2002 mustang shift so poorly?

Hey I hope someone can help me out. I just got a 2002 gt mustang and I love it. I'm starting to learn more about cars in general right now as I have always been more of a math and number person. Anyway the shifting doesn't quite feel right. I bought the car from an impound lot and the guy said it had a pretty new racing clutch installed. So at first I could not even press down the clutch cause I was not used to the stiffness. Anyway when I shift into different gears it does not feel smooth like say my old car Honda civic. And when I go reverse it does not always hit in the first time. Now I'm aware my clutch could be going but was this normal for these mustangs? Also I was looking at short shifters would that improve the problem? The first 5 gears shift fine it just feels weird I can't think of a word that fits best ha ha ha. reverse I have to try a couple times sometimes.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

A Mustang with a racing clutch is going to feel way different than a Honda Civic. They're two different words (practically on the opposite ends of the spectrum so I'm surprised you wanted it). One is designed to be smooth and comfortable, the other is designed to be fast and aggressive. The racing clutch will tend to grab "all of a sudden" when you let the clutch out so you will feel the shift shock much more. The racing clutch will also be much more intolerant of rpm differences, so make sure you are giving plenty of gas on the upshifts and rev matching on the downshifts. You might have to brush up on your driving/shifting skills to get everything right. Going into reverse takes practice on any given car. Make sure you are at a complete stop and the car is in neutral before going into reverse.

If you still don't like it, you will have to put a regular clutch in or go back to Hondas.
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A Mustang is going to feel far different than a honda. However, it is possible the clutch cable was not adjusted properly. The pedal should not be too difficult to push down so you can change gears, but when you let out it is going to grab pretty hard and under high torque is likely to chirp the tires pretty good.
bald is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
2002 mustang