Would it be possible to install a turbocharger and supercharger in my 1997 mustang gt 4.6 ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #1

Would it be possible to install a turbocharger and supercharger in my 1997 mustang gt 4.6 ?

i wanna get more hp and i was wondering would these mods be possible? so far my car only has BBk cold air intake and cool lookin double or twin exhaust
Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be possible to install a turbocharger and supercharger in my 1997 mustang gt 4.6 ?

Yes, I think Vortech makes a supercharger for the 4.6. It's fairly expensive and it's a fairly involved install. You will have to replace the intake, fuel pump, fuel injectors, and do a custom computer tune to tie it all together. With an older engine, I wouldn't run more than 10 psi.
Barnhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, you can add a supercharger or a turbo kit to your 4.6 mustang. Obviously, you can't run both a turbo and a supercharger(at least without some major custom work $$).

Between the two- a supercharger would be better suited to your car. The rule of thumb is that superchargers are better for large displacement muscle cars, whereas turbos are more typically put on higher reeving, small displacement engines.

As the others have said, you can reuse your exhaust, but the intake will be replaced by the kit. If you have headers- those would need to be replaced, if you go with a turbocharger(unless its a rear mount kit).

Procharger and Vortech make several kits for the 4.6L 2V Mustang. The Vortech kit is less expensive than Procharger and they are both nice kits. I favor Procharger, but to each his own.

A top of the line bolt-on supercharger can increase your engines power to around 400 engine horsepower(350 to the wheels).
templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

4.6 the only superchargers they make are centrifugal. Which means it looks like a turbo but still runs from a belt instead of the exhaust. You would loose your cold are intake because the setup runs like this. You would have your filter, then like a one foot pipe to the supercharger, then a two to three foot pipe to the throttle body. You'll want to buy a kit so it will include everything you need. Fuel pump, 42lbs fuel injectors, supercharger chip(Will tune the mustang for the supercharger). Should run about $4000. But totally worth it.
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Theoretically yes you can do both. Practically it won't work. Even diesel engines don't build that much boost. Now on to how to make it work...in theory. You can forget about gasoline, it would burn alcohol at this point. Ford doesn't make heads to handle the compression ratio, so you will be looking for either a custom grind head/cam set or a trick flow set. The pistons will burn holes in them in no time so you now need forged pistons. The list goes on and on. It would be cheaper to buy a crate motor designed to handle the power.
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #6

You have several options with the 4.6, including both centrifugal AND positive displacement superchargers, as well as turbochargers with the modular engine.

Personally, I'd go with a positive displacement kit like a Kenne Bell roots/screw type blower. Their kits are fairly inclusive, make stupid power when tuned properly (though your performance will suffer with the non-PI heads found on the 96-98 Mustang GTs), and supposedly have great tech support.

They're expensive, but then again, so are all power adders.
Burnard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1997 mustang