Car dont start - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Car dont start

My car had been sitting for 2 months in a cold weather, and now I have been trying to get it started but it doesn't start it just cranks but don't start, any suggestion where I should star checking first I already check all the basics like fuses, wires for brakes, fuel pump for noise, and battery. Any ideas thank you
Califas gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califas gt View Post
My car had been sitting for 2 months in a cold weather, and now I have been trying to get it started but it doesn't start it just cranks but don't start, any suggestion where I should star checking first I already check all the basics like fuses, wires for brakes, fuel pump for noise, and battery. Any ideas thank you
2 months in cold weather? Ouch.
sixxerstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would put money in battery or fuel pump relay. They're the most likely.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I would put money in battery or fuel pump relay. They're the most likely.
Not battery if it cranks, but fuel pump/relay are suspect. Is the fuel pump audibly priming? Having someone listening to the tank while you turn the key to on gives an answer.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Check to make sure the theft PATS light isn't flashing real fast. If it is the problem is most likely the key. See it all the time.
Fastfive_ogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I know is not the battery, and i have a little noice in the fuel pump, how hard is to check the fuel pump relay and where is it at? But im going to try the second key that i have. I hope is not a big issue like major parts because im in germany and is hard to get parts out here or if you guys know of any website that ships parts out here, that would help thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I can tell you for sure that if the car doesn't start still after you have unplugged the maf. That is not the problem. Once it's unplugged that takes the maf completely out of the calculation for air and fuel delivery.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Also make sure the theft light isn't flashing fast. Don't over look that.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Sorry the maf comment was supposed to be on a different thread.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
have you tested your battery OP..you said you know thats not it, but i've seen many times at work people with a battery that'll start to crank a car, but won't turn it over just for the fact the CCA aren't high enough to kick the starters bendix out. Just an idea...also check your inertia switch in the truck...it may of somehow gotten flipped and if so that'll keep the pump from working.

other things to consider is gas breaks down after 3 weeks...so 2 months of sitting and your gas is shot..a couple gallons of high octane and a bottle of heet (or some other water pulling solution) will take car of bad gas in most cases.

keep us up to date

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

+1^^^^
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok the battery was dead, and i recharged it but i havent check the cca. Also i already put a couple of gallons and a injector cleaner and still nothing. Is the interia switch the one for safety? If it is, it is in the right possition is not tripped or nothing. Would the fuel pump go bad if it was sitting for 2 months lime my in my case? Just curious. What Do you guys think that is electrical or mechanical? I'll appreciate all the help
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
next i'd say is the fuel filter...you had gas sit in it and break down...could of broken down the filter and clogged it...go spend $10 on a new filter and swap it out. Lets get all the cheap fixes out first and see what happens.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok ill try the new fuel filter and see what happens i hope thats it thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Can't you test fuel pressure? I'd do that. Don't spend money throwing parts at it.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Me and my body try to test for fuel pressure but im not sure if i was doing it right and at the right place
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail. When u hook up your gauge then turn the key on. It should go up to spec. I believe like 45-50 psi. If it doesn't there is a restriction or the pump isn't pumping. You can pull the fuel filter off and blow air through it too. I that is fine then check power to the fuel pump. Also ground. Load test it. I like to use a headlight bulb to check circuit integrity. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I tried a couple of things more
I dont have the pressure gage for the fuel but i look for any fuel pressure at the releave fuel valve and i didnt have any fuel coming out of it. Also i hear a clicking noice when i move the ingition key to on position i still cant find where is coming from. Any more ideas? Or suggestions?

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Is there a way to check for power at the fuel pump without taking it down? If so how please.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Most likely if you prime the fuel system (turn the key a few times) and you have no fuel at the schrader valve, you need a fuel pump or the inertia switch is tripped.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT