Help finding PI heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Help finding PI heads

Here's my dilemma. I have found a set of heads that are in a salvage yard near me. They are on a '03 Crown Vic police car. The yard will not let me go pull them off, I have to pay them to do it. What I'm wondering is... Are these PI heads? If yes, then I'm wondering if the Vic's had a Romeo block or a Windsor block. I've been told that the number of bolts for the valve covers are different on the two. I would like to stay away from using conversion kits if I can. Any help or insight would be much appreciated!
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
truckinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 116
From what I understand half way thru '01 and up they are all Romeo heads.
truckinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinu
From what I understand half way thru '01 and up they are all Romeo heads.
Even on Crown Vic's? I find all kinds of info about this on stangs but nothing on Vic's.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
truckinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 116
Not sure. You said it was a cop car too so those I would think are 4V heads. Might want to check unless that's what you're going for.
truckinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinu View Post
Not sure. You said it was a cop car too so those I would think are 4V heads. Might want to check unless that's what you're going for.
The crown vics are 2v but the mercury marauders are 4v
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt

The crown vics are 2v but the mercury marauders are 4v
Well that's good. Still don't know for sure if they are PI's or not.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
I think you don't want heads from 99-01 fo pi swap. I think those are bad years. 04 would be best. They have extra threads(sparkplug) so plug don't shoot out.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt
I think you don't want heads from 99-01 fo pi swap. I think those are bad years. 04 would be best. They have extra threads(sparkplug) so plug don't shoot out.
Have people had problems with blowing out plugs with the PI swap?
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
Have people had problems with blowing out plugs with the PI swap?
I'm not sure. When I first joined there was lots of people having plugs shooting out. Also certain years have the cam and cam gear in one piece. But that mostly applies to people just doing cams and intake swap. If your doing heads and all, I don't think that will effect you.

I would just Google it. There ate tons of threads and walkthroughs on it. There's a set of 04 heads kinda close to me for $300 or 400. I'm in WV.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
tmd07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicopee
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 3
I've been searching head info too. What I do know is that the Romeo heads have the 11 bolt valve covers. The Windsor heads have 13 bolt valve covers on the driver side and 14 bolt valve covers on the passenger side. Not sure if all of them have this but there is a PI stamped right under the part numbers on the head. On my driver side head, it is stamped just above the exhaust manifold towards the back of the engine or near the #8 cylinder. I currently have Patriot Performace stage 2 heads that are actually Ford cores that get worked. Mine are PI and Windsor which seems to be the better heads from some of the searching I've been doing. Here is a picture I found on google. Look just above the #8 exhaust port, right under the Ford part number is the PI stamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PI_out.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	84355  
__________________
2001 GT. Oxford white. Patriot Performance heads. Comp cams. Ford Racing shorty headers. BBK under drive pullies. Roush CAI. 3000 Stall speed converter. 4:10 Gears. Bullitt calipers. Frame connectors. Bassani exhaust.
tmd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt

I'm not sure. When I first joined there was lots of people having plugs shooting out. Also certain years have the cam and cam gear in one piece. But that mostly applies to people just doing cams and intake swap. If your doing heads and all, I don't think that will effect you.

I would just Google it. There ate tons of threads and walkthroughs on it. There's a set of 04 heads kinda close to me for $300 or 400. I'm in WV.
The best I can find is off a 03 police car. Makes me a little Leary. I'm a little far from WV. Im in Minnesota.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmd07
I've been searching head info too. What I do know is that the Romeo heads have the 11 bolt valve covers. The Windsor heads have 13 bolt valve covers on the driver side and 14 bolt valve covers on the passenger side. Not sure if all of them have this but there is a PI stamped right under the part numbers on the head. On my driver side head, it is stamped just above the exhaust manifold towards the back of the engine or near the #8 cylinder. I currently have Patriot Performace stage 2 heads that are actually Ford cores that get worked. Mine are PI and Windsor which seems to be the better heads from some of the searching I've been doing. Here is a picture I found on google. Look just above the #8 exhaust port, right under the Ford part number is the PI stamp.
That is good information to have. Now if the yard will let me go out and look at the car before they pull them I can see what kind and if they are PI. Thanks for the help.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
jdavis96gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: West Virgina
Posts: 1,014
Google modular mix and match. . Its good article. Shows flow charts
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:11 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.