Lose of power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Lose of power

So my stang seem to have lost a bit of power, idk if its me getting used to driving it often or if it could be something else, what are some things I can check to make sure it's not something in particular causing it, I did heavily get on it the other night, shifted at redline, idk if I hurt something , again idk if its me getting used to the car or what, thanks for the input appreciate any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
So my stang seem to have lost a bit of power, idk if its me getting used to driving it often or if it could be something else, what are some things I can check to make sure it's not something in particular causing it, I did heavily get on it the other night, shifted at redline, idk if I hurt something , again idk if its me getting used to the car or what, thanks for the input appreciate any help
Check spark plugs, COPs, check to see of your air filter is dirty, see if your getting good fuel pressure, make sure your fuel filter is clean. Little stuff that adds up
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How long have you had it? Stock these cars are not all that fast (actually they are dogs, my '92 Miata running 12 psi boost ate GTs for lunch) and once the thrill of the V8 sound wears off that becomes quite apparent.

Shifting "at redline" will not hurt anything, the rev-limiter will kick in at 6236 rpm to prevent that.

Moving on, the stock tune sucks. It is pedestrian in the ignition timing and runs very rich in open-loop mode at high loads and WOT--also the stock exhaust system is constipated. Open up the exhaust to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back and get a tune/tuner optimized for the highest octane fuel you can get and/or are willing to pay for...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Do a regular tune up: change oil with full synthetic, clean air filter be sure to oil your filer, change spark plugs with gap of .054. You could have clogged injectors could try some seafoam could be the gas you got, could do a compression test with a compression tester to make sure your internals are still good. Make sure you got fluids like antifreeze, maybe your car could be getting hot. I doubt you lost power unless you never change oil or use Walmart gas, these cars are made to run and redlining won't hurt anything because of the rev limiter and it doesn't hurt unless you do it a lot and you'll know if you break something.
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Mister View Post

Do a regular tune up: change oil with full synthetic, clean air filter be sure to oil your filer, change spark plugs with gap of .054. You could have clogged injectors could try some seafoam could be the gas you got, could do a compression test with a compression tester to make sure your internals are still good. Make sure you got fluids like antifreeze, maybe your car could be getting hot. I doubt you lost power unless you never change oil or use Walmart gas, these cars are made to run and redlining won't hurt anything because of the rev limiter and it doesn't hurt unless you do it a lot and you'll know if you break something.
+100

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
How long have you had it? Stock these cars are not all that fast (actually they are dogs, my '92 Miata running 12 psi boost ate GTs for lunch) and once the thrill of the V8 sound wears off that becomes quite apparent.

Shifting "at redline" will not hurt anything, the rev-limiter will kick in at 6236 rpm to prevent that.

Moving on, the stock tune sucks. It is pedestrian in the ignition timing and runs very rich in open-loop mode at high loads and WOT--also the stock exhaust system is constipated. Open up the exhaust to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back and get a tune/tuner optimized for the highest octane fuel you can get and/or are willing to pay for...
agreed ^

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Yea came to realize these GTs stock really aren't that quick, used to own a v6 and always dreamed to own the GT, now I got the GT and can't wait till its paid to look for a 03/04 mach 1...gonna start with my fuel filter today if some of this snow melts off the ground, than ill check my air filter, k&n drop in filter but I only put it in less than 10k miles ago so if its dirty there's a problem correct? Spark plugs I don't wanna touch cuz I hear these motors love to spit them out so rather have the ford dealer or a local mechanic do that...I did open up the exhaust, went with SLP lm1 catback but I have no tune, gotta order a tuner soon but money is very tight ATM .
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea came to realize these GTs stock really aren't that quick, used to own a v6 and always dreamed to own the GT, now I got the GT and can't wait till its paid to look for a 03/04 mach 1...gonna start with my fuel filter today if some of this snow melts off the ground, than ill check my air filter, k&n drop in filter but I only put it in less than 10k miles ago so if its dirty there's a problem correct?
A K&N filter could need cleaning at 10k miles as the filter oil they use at the factory is "stickier" than what comes in the cleaning kit--I would at least take a look at it. Or better yet get rid of it and install a Purolator paper filter--that's what I run and what was installed when I hit 262/305 rwHP/lb-ft.

Quote:
Spark plugs I don't wanna touch cuz I hear these motors love to spit them out so rather have the ford dealer or a local mechanic do that...
That these engines have been known to spit out spark plugs is precisely why I would never let anyone else change them. A torque wrench or torque-limiting socket MUST be used when installing the plugs to ensure they are properly torqued (13 to 15 lb-ft). If this is done each time the plugs are changed there will be no problems.

Their are far too many jerk-àss "mechanics" out there that are members of the "We don't need no stinking torque wrench." club.

Quote:
I did open up the exhaust, went with SLP lm1 catback but I have no tune, gotta order a tuner soon but money is very tight ATM .

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Holy crap..I get under my car to change my fuel filter and the screw that holds the bracket is so beyond rusted it literally cracks as I'm turning it, the metal clips are so damn rusty they crumbled to pieces in my hands..guessing that shows the filter is very old..on my way to autozone for the fuel filter removal tool and new clips, damn fuel filter would not come off I guess I need the removal tool
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Holy crap..I get under my car to change my fuel filter and the screw that holds the bracket is so beyond rusted it literally cracks as I'm turning it, the metal clips are so damn rusty they crumbled to pieces in my hands..guessing that shows the filter is very old..on my way to autozone for the fuel filter removal tool and new clips, damn fuel filter would not come off I guess I need the removal tool
yeah u need that little tool. it was a pain in the *** when i first tried to remove it

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post

yeah u need that little tool. it was a pain in the *** when i first tried to remove it
Dude no parts store has those metal clips??? What can I do and it's Sunday so ford is closed...the metal clips that hold the fuel line to the filter
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Dude no parts store has those metal clips??? What can I do and it's Sunday so ford is closed...the metal clips that hold the fuel line to the filter
Pep boys gave me these plastic clips, says on the back it's for ford 2000 and up but they don't even look like the metal clips
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:

Pep boys gave me these plastic clips, says on the back it's for ford 2000 and up but they don't even look like the metal clips
If they don't fit I'd go to a pick n pull
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT