4.6 running rough / misfire - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
4.6 running rough / misfire

My 96 gt is running rough and missing. I can smell gas on the driver side of the engine. I don't think it's the COP's or the 2 coil packs themselves. Maybe bad plugs? Any suggestions? Also about a week ago I was driving home from work, went to throw it into neutral and the car died. Started it back up and it ran like it does now. About 2 miles down the road it eventually straitened itself out. Help?
96Roushgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Maybe an exhaust leak? Mine lost some nuts after I put my mid pipe on and it leaked @ the headers. Made it run lean and everything, even with the same symptoms...
Mathew r Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It does have an exaust leak. Right at the flange where the intermediate pipe meets the manifold pipe. Couldn't line it up right when I replaced my clutch. Is it possible the exaust leak could make it run like that???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Very possible because I was trying to figure it out then I told myself to just listen so when I really started paying attention I herd like a flutter noise so got under there and seen I was missing a nut on each side and it did have a bank 2 lean code. So I went to lowes got some nuts and some lock tight and do believe I fixed it... It doesn't die when coming to a stop anymore when in fact it did it a lot...

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post
Very possible because I was trying to figure it out then I told myself to just listen so when I really started paying attention I herd like a flutter noise so got under there and seen I was missing a nut on each side and it did have a bank 2 lean code. So I went to lowes got some nuts and some lock tight and do believe I fixed it... It doesn't die when coming to a stop anymore when in fact it did it a lot...
Oh and not to mention I run 100 shot on it too so it's not been fun not being able to use it...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Oh and not to mention I run 100 shot on it too so it's not been fun not being able to use it...
I got to lookin more and cylinder number 8 had coolent in the plug well where the COP goes in. I had to replace the intake alittle while ago due to the spout on the back breakin off and spewing everywhere. I'm thinking it fouled the plug????
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Posibly? Motorcraft plugs are cheap so get some and I bet that helps. You don't know where exactly where it's missin???
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its Definatly in the back near the firewall. That's why I'm thinking it's that 8th cylinder.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Just put a new set of plugs in today. Helped just alittle bit but still has a misfire.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Roushgt
I got to lookin more and cylinder number 8 had coolent in the plug well where the COP goes in. I had to replace the intake alittle while ago due to the spout on the back breakin off and spewing everywhere. I'm thinking it fouled the plug????
Had the same problem when I changed the intake on my 98. Change the plug or clean it real good and get some deelectric stuff and put some in the plug boot and on the end of the plug. It will keep it from fouling out in case there is some coolant left over. It will hold til it drys all the way out. I use deelectric every time I change my plugs anyways.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Roushgt View Post
Its Definatly in the back near the firewall. That's why I'm thinking it's that 8th cylinder.
On the driver or passenger side? Never mind lol read more its number 4 if its by the heater core though
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It does have an exaust leak. Right at the flange where the intermediate pipe meets the manifold pipe. Couldn't line it up right when I replaced my clutch. Is it possible the exaust leak could make it run like that???
Needs to be fixed!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ok wasn't sure the firing order on a 4.6 but I was just trying to get it running right before I go to basic. Still no luck on her.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew r Wright View Post

Needs to be fixed!!!

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Needs to be fixed....
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just replaced the COP's today. Still running rough. Unplugged the down force sensor right before the intermediate pipe meets to see if it would reset the computer to run differently and got nothing. Any other suggestions? Maybe a dirty fuel filter?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol needs to be fixed...
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Yup, fix your exhaust leak. If its big enough, the O2 sensors may not read your exhaust correctly and cause the PCM to not tune the car right.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yup, fix your exhaust leak. If its big enough, the O2 sensors may not read your exhaust correctly and cause the PCM to not tune the car right.
That's why it's runnin roughly I'm tryin to tell ya. Well not tell but help...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'll fix the flange and let you guys know what happens

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT