Procharger vs Vortech - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to black98gtvert
Procharger vs Vortech

I was looking into the supercharger scene. I called KB and they dont make a kit for the 98. I was told to swap PI heads and rebuild the bottom end. yeah so thats out. Im just looking for a decent streetable 450-500 hp. Ive got all my suspension in order so thats not a problem. I was looking at a kit from RPM outlet on the procharger its about 4200. I also plan on installing my kit in my garage but have an extra set of hands as well. I know a few places sell vortech kits cheaper but when asking dyno numbers the procharger always seemed to put out a bit more. Im not into the whole sleeper scene so i want a good blower whine as well. Any input on which one is better in terms of reliable and so on and so forth is much appreciated.
Mods: MAC CAI,FLOWS 40 series,MSD Wires and Coils,"MM"starter box susp, MAC underdrive pullies, BBK off-road X, Steeda TRI-Ax, 3.73 gears, Sniper Special Forces Tuner, Accufab 75mm TB and Plenum, and a ZEX __ Shot
04 CBR F4i: A Street Machine on roids
black98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Procharger vs Vortech

450-500 hp is going to be pushing your stock internals to their limits. It is going to require a very good tune to survive...but it can be done. A local guy here was running 14 psi on his stock bottom end 02 GT...he was in the 450 rwhp range. It ran great until he went to the track on a cold night, then he put a couple windows in his block.

I like the procharger solely for the fact that it is a self contained kit. It doesn't require taping the oil pan and what not. The vortech requires extra oil lines run to your oil pan (a feed and return)...and to me just introduces a new potential point of failure. You will get the whine you are looking for as well.

I would shop around more as RPM outhouse is not a good place to buy parts from. Most of the time, their prices seem too good to be true. And they typically are. While they list something as a complete kit, when you buy it, you usually end up having to buy something else because it wasn't included in their "complete kit". They are also notorious for horrendous customer service...as well as shipping the wrong parts and then charging you to restock the parts they sent you in error. Search several mustang forums and you will find about 99% of the people out there will tell you to avoid the outhouse like the plague.

Atomic Performance (one of our vendors) has great customer service and prices. I haven't shopped their site for superchargers, but if they have the procharger or vortech kits, I would highly recommend buying from them. I just ordered my clutch parts from them and they are very stand up guys.

If they don't have the kits you are looking for, check out Lethal Performance. They will most likely have it for sure. They too are very stand up guys and I have ordered from them before.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to black98gtvert

thanks for the info venom but i failed to mention before im in san diego but my home town is in illinois i live 15 minutes fromAnderson motorsports and they seem to be good but they seem to be a bit pricey. but for a good decent street machine what do you recomend HP wise i should shoot for safely? The Car is a 98 gt convertible with 55k miles on it BTW
Mods: MAC CAI,FLOWS 40 series,MSD Wires and Coils,"MM"starter box susp, MAC underdrive pullies, BBK off-road X, Steeda TRI-Ax, 3.73 gears, Sniper Special Forces Tuner, Accufab 75mm TB and Plenum, and a ZEX __ Shot
04 CBR F4i: A Street Machine on roids
black98gtvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Road Trip!

i agree with rob, without doing a bottomend,your goals are a little farfetched. if u do make that much power on a stock block, it wont last for long.im a procharger fan for the same reasons stated above.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

not only that the non pi heads will definitely be a restriction to boost.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

Here is the deal. Even though the Vortech requires tapping the oil pan to supply oil to the supercharger and the Procharger, the Procharger requires very frequent servicing. Since it is self contained there is much smaller amout of oil available and needs replacing. Over the last few years there have been some reliability issues with prochargers on cars that were daily drivers. Last thing you need whileo on a trip far from home is to have a problem with the supercharger which would cause a couple of days stuck waiting for replacement parts. You just cant go to a local autoparts store and get parts immediately. I would go with Vortech for the reliability issue alone, As a matter a fact I had a Vortech supercharger.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
the Procharger requires very frequent servicing. Since it is self contained there is much smaller amout of oil available and needs replacing. Over the last few years there have been some reliability issues with prochargers on cars that were daily drivers.
Vortech is the way to go. Thats why I didnt want to have the procharger crap. Spend 30mins tapping a pan? or keep replacing oil for $20 a pop? I tapped my pan for my mustang. I followed all the directions and then some. I put brake grease on my tap so it would catch the little shavings and I also bought 2 of the $7 a gallon oil from advance auto and flushed the oil 2 times to make sure I had everything possible I bought a little flexable magnet from a tractor store and put it up through the pan to make sure I got everything possible and I already did with the oil. So $14 in 2 things of oil vs $20 everytime your s/c needs it. HMMM I dont know. They are both going to put out balls to the wall horse power its just the Vortech is more reliable simple as that.
vortechblown306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you were building a race car Id go Procharger but for a daily driver I recommend vortech.The vortech is super reliable and very low maintenance and will be able to make more power then the stock engine can handle.
Benjytps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i has vortech!
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #10
Road Trip!

me being a power junkie, i like the procharger but if you arent planning on going forged internals, the vortech will make plenty of power for the stock internals with the less maintenance. but vortech cant come close as far as power against prochargers intercooled kit.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

build the engine first, the pre 99 SOHC 2v's need all the help they can get. A PI swap alone will raise you from 215hp to around 285~ then a built botton end (and probably lower compression a bit since it raises it on the PI swap) and a vortech and you should have no problems meeting your power goals.

You wont gain 285hp with just a vortech without some major psi
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT