(Manual Transmission) Mild thunking noise from first to second - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Aquakitty is unknown around these parts
Question (Manual Transmission) Mild thunking noise from first to second

Hey all,

I just purchased a 2004 Mustang GT convert about 80k miles on it, manual transmission.

I have noticed when I shift from first to second gear, I hear a bit of a "thunking" noise. I don't notice this when going from neutral to first or to second, third, fourth or fifth. It is not very loud but it's there. I did not notice it at all when test driving it, so I may just be paranoid.

I haven't driven a standard in a long time, and I have never driven a standard transmission Ford nor a car with any power in general, so I am not entirely sure what is normal and what is me just driving poorly.

After searching and Googling, some say this is normal, some say it could be the U-joints, motor mounts etc. Any opinions?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Venomouz831 is unknown around these parts
Were is the sound coming from?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Road Trip!

keaton5.0 is unknown around these parts
Sounds like a transmission mount to me. Could be worn enough to if you make the car buck a little when shifting it knocks around some. Il bet once you get used to driving a manual you wont hear it anymore but you should still try to locate the problem and replace it. Generally if it was a u-joint you would feel a vibration at a certain speed, mostly at higher speeds. Does the shifter handle vibrate at all?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Were is the sound coming from?
Hard to say, kind of under the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaton5.0 View Post
Sounds like a transmission mount to me. Could be worn enough to if you make the car buck a little when shifting it knocks around some. Il bet once you get used to driving a manual you wont hear it anymore but you should still try to locate the problem and replace it. Generally if it was a u-joint you would feel a vibration at a certain speed, mostly at higher speeds. Does the shifter handle vibrate at all?
Yea it does vibrate when I hold it, but I did not notice that at high speed in particular, I can "feel" the engine through the shifter. It is a high-frequency vibration coming straight up the shifter.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #5

The vibration, I am quite positive, is just the normal amount for a standard transmission.

Anyone have tips on how to examine the motor/ tranny mounts or the u joint?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT