O2 sensor with Flowmaster catback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
O2 sensor with Flowmaster catback

My 02 GT has a code for oxygen sensor bank two. Should I replace both sensors or can they be cleaned? Is there a particular sensor to use or not use with the Flowmaster pipes? Thanks.
escottcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Did you go catless? If not then you shouldn't be throwing codes because of the exhaust... I would change the sensors and do a little more investigation as to why the codes were thrown in the first place... You should be able to just use standard sensors with the new pipes.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cats are still there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by escottcarp View Post
My 02 GT has a code for oxygen sensor bank two. Should I replace both sensors or can they be cleaned? Is there a particular sensor to use or not use with the Flowmaster pipes? Thanks.
It may just be time for new ones to be honest. After around 80k+ miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Mine went bad a few weeks ago and I was throwing a code similar to that and was running rich enough to get about 9 mpg in town. It was awful.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post

It may just be time for new ones to be honest. After around 80k+ miles it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Mine went bad a few weeks ago and I was throwing a code similar to that and was running rich enough to get about 9 mpg in town. It was awful.
And I would change the pre-cat sensors first. If I understand correctly, those are the ones that give the proper air/fuel ratio and will have the biggest effect. The post cat sensors I know are for emissions purposes but may do more. Someone else a little more educated on the subject may can follow up further.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Is your code for the front o2 sensor or the rear o2 sensor

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The code is for bank two. The Advance Auto rep said that was the rear sensor.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A rear sensor should cause any actual problem as far as I know, unless you have emissions where you love. But it never hurts to replace things as needed.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Rear sensors don't do anything except tell you if you're cats are working on not. If they are bad you'll be okay without replacing them. But if it was me I would replace so that your cel isn't on all the time. That way if something really happens you'll be able to tell when the cel goes on

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
Rear sensors don't do anything except tell you if you're cats are working on not. If they are bad you'll be okay without replacing them. But if it was me I would replace so that your cel isn't on all the time. That way if something really happens you'll be able to tell when the cel goes on
+1 thank you for confirmation.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
And the rear ones are real easy to replace.

If you replace it and it still throughs a code I have a trick on how to fix without buying the mil eliminators, but the o2 sensor has to be good not bad.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

The trick works on o/r x or h pipes with out cats.

03 Sonic Blue CONVERTIBLE W/STYLE BAR AND SPEEDSTER COVER AND 18X10W/275/35 REAR AND 18X9W/245/45 FRONT. OFF ROAD X-PIPE 40 SIERIES FLOMASTERS AND CAI.
Allans03ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
As is usual the Advance Auto rep doesn't know "it" from Shinola. There are two cylinder banks, 1 and 2, 1 being that on the passenger side. Each bank has two O² sensors one upstream of the cats (#1) and one downstream of the cats (#2):

The sensors are referred to as shown in the diagram, HO2S-12 for instance is Heated Sensor - bank 1 sensor 2.

Before you start buying O² sensors you need to find out what the code(s) were as most of the DTCs mentioning "O² sensor" in the generic description (which is what the FLAPS people work from) indicate a good sensor reporting some other problem. When you get the codes look them up here to see what the shop manual say about them, including possible causes and diagnostic tips...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT