Spark plugs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Spark plugs

I am looking for the best spark plugs. Right now I have the pulstar set that supposed to give you a few more up I guess and better spark. Looking to do my coil packs an new plugs any ideals?
PKSTANG15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i just use ford motorcraft. i trust those the most

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Do they work well when doing a lot of upgrades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just got them today!

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Oh nice . Do you have a lot of power upgrades?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

What about coil packs. Msd is prob a good bet
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I think oem is the way to go on spark plugs. Ngk and autolite also make good plugs though. The main difference is in the electrode material, and single or two piece design. There's copper, platinum, and iridium, which will have better durability depending on material; copper being the least and iridium the most. I think coil packs are a waste on money unless you have a lot of upgrades and are making some serious power, or your current ones are starting to give out.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKSTANG15 View Post
Thanks. Do they work well when doing a lot of upgrades
they should work fine. i trust those more than the rest. they havent failed me yet

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Personally I use NGK Iridium 9's.. They work amazing, especially at higher RPM. Combined with the MSD COPs I use, I've noticed I have more top end power for longer. Lemme know if you have any questions.
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I'm looking to do a lot of work this summer. Whole rear end . Coil packs plugs, pulleys, and maybe turbo or supercharger.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
For a bolt on car oem coils and autolite plugs are your best bet.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

For a bolt on car, every little bit helps.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
For a bolt on car oem coils and autolite plugs are your best bet.
++++ tried and true FACT
Old 01-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. My car begs to differ.. Tried and true you say? Prove it.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post
Interesting. My car begs to differ.. Tried and true you say? Prove it.
Your serious? Do some research... 15 years in tinkering with Mustangs, I've got nothing to prove.

If your car doesn't like them then that's that, everyone else's does. Not interested in an argument or a debate..
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Your ignorance is my bliss. I don't need to research Genius, I have a degree. Half the crap on the internet is from ignorant fools who "claim" to know because they have Blah Blah Blah experience. In your case, "tinkering". Take it from somone who knows from an engineering standpoint. If you're not interested in an argument or debate, then why did you reply? Define "Everyone Else". You have everything to prove with your ignorant comments. If you didn't have anything to prove, you wouldn't have said anything. Starting to see a pattern here? Why don't you just run along boy? Let the people with common sense talk here.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post
Your ignorance is my bliss. I don't need to research Genius, I have a degree. Half the crap on the internet is from ignorant fools who "claim" to know because they have Blah Blah Blah experience. In your case, "tinkering". Take it from somone who knows from an engineering standpoint. If you're not interested in an argument or debate, then why did you reply? Define "Everyone Else". You have everything to prove with your ignorant comments. If you didn't have anything to prove, you wouldn't have said anything. Starting to see a pattern here? Why don't you just run along boy? Let the people with common sense talk here.
welcome back dude.. We missed your arrogance... Still rocking those ricer lights?

As for my tinkering.. I'll take real experience over your text book experience. Reply if you like K but your now on my ignore list, good day sir.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

WTF?? Did I miss something? Anyways, don't mind being on this guy's ignore list, probably better off anyways. His ignorance is astounding though. It just never ends does it? "Text Book" experience is backed by "real" experience. Otherwise it wouldn't be in the text books.. oh, and they don't just hand out pieces of paper. You have to be experienced both hands on and what not, and then pass in depth tests to get a degree.. something you could only hope for apparently. Good riddance oh mighty ignorant one!!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I personally do not recommend NGK Iridium plugs. I had a set in and was experiencing an intermediate misfire. Hooked up to a Snap-on Modis, monitored the ignition system, used a wand to check voltage at each COP. Everything was in working order. All COPs within 1.5k volts. Automotive instructor sent me to Advance Auto parts to buy Motorcraft copper plugs. Pulled the NGKs out, all were gapped correct. Swapped in the Motorcrafts and saw a drastic reduction in misfire count after further monitoring. My instructor really doesn't care for Fords, but he knew the issue when he saw that everything else was working correct. This could be my car in particular though, it's impossible for me to claim this as some sort of indisputable proof that NGK's are no good. They just didn't work well for me.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I personally do not recommend NGK Iridium plugs. I had a set in and was experiencing an intermediate misfire. Hooked up to a Snap-on Modis, monitored the ignition system, used a wand to check voltage at each COP. Everything was in working order. All COPs within 1.5k volts. Automotive instructor sent me to Advance Auto parts to buy Motorcraft copper plugs. Pulled the NGKs out, all were gapped correct. Swapped in the Motorcrafts and saw a drastic reduction in misfire count after further monitoring. My instructor really doesn't care for Fords, but he knew the issue when he saw that everything else was working correct. This could be my car in particular though, it's impossible for me to claim this as some sort of indisputable proof that NGK's are no good. They just didn't work well for me.
This is VERY common.. I've had similar exp with Bosh Platinum.. In 3 months the cores were gone, literally gone.. Never had any issues at all with my AutoLites and to top it of they are cheaper lol
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

This is VERY common.. I've had similar exp with Bosh Platinum.. In 3 months the cores were gone, literally gone.. Never had any issues at all with my AutoLites and to top it of they are cheaper lol
Mine were still in great shape, my car just hated them! Something I can't explain.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

++++ tried and true FACT
:agreed: 20+ years using autolites
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb
To me $400-500 is not worth 2-3 hp.
I've experimented on our 90lx, 94v6, 02v6, 03cobra and 04 gt. Also the 07 focus I dd. All are currently running the autolite copper plugs except for the cobra which has ngk tr6 copper plugs because I needed a colder plug for more boost.

I played with different plugs on all of these as I normally change plugs once a year. It's a cheap way to keep an eye on the engine's health.No other plug gives the idle quality as a good ol fashion copper plug.

These fancy multi electrode plugs are a marketing gimmick. The spark only uses one electrode, period.

I have also yet to see any third party analysis on gains from different plug designs or increased spark amount from an aftermarket coil. I can see the benefits of both with a high hp dense fuel combination but i'm at 500 whp on a copper plug because there was negligible increase using an iridium plug except in the cost.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I use Bosch Iridium Plugs. Have for years with no problems. Can't say I've actually gained any real HP, but my cars seem to really like them. I also like MSD Coils, though for just a bolt on car the stock ones work perfectly fine.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT