Synthetic oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Synthetic oil

Should I use synthetic in my 01 gt?
DanWot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Yes!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWot View Post
Should I use synthetic in my 01 gt?
Absolutely
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea
Old 01-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Amsoil Signature Series is the best.
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Motorcraft oil is also synthetic.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by buickregal79 View Post
I don't think it's 100%.. I could be wrong..
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickregal79 View Post
It's a synthetic blend.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Personally, I'd stay away from blends. They're not bad if you don't mind the every 3000 to 5000 mile oil change, but I like a full synthetic symply because I can rest assured that there is the least amount of friction and heat out of all the oils. I only use the best, and then on top of that I use additives. I like the Lucas Oil stabilizer. It does wonders and is fully compatible with synthetic oils of any brand.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A synthetic blend is pointless. The entire reason to use synthetic oil is the size of the oil molecules. Conventional oil has different size molecules, synthetics are engineered to all be the same size. If you blend, you lose the benefits of running synthetic. I'm sure the blended oils still have a healthy amount of detergents, but there isn't any reason to run it over a synthetic that is close in price. But then again i'm a nut and I don't use any oil that isn't approved by the SAE
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

It's a synthetic blend.
Semi correct what you find at the store is but full synthetic is found at the dealers. Also motorcraft has conventional. This is taken from a mechanics magazine that I used to get.

"Synthetic oils pass stringent tests and offer longer-lasting performance when it comes to viscosity index and protection against deposits. Synthetics flow better at cold temperatures and maintain excellent lubricity at high temperatures. They do not readily evaporate. However, along with being more expensive, not every engine needs them.

Synthetic blends offer protection for somewhat heavier loads and higher temperatures. They don’t evaporate as readily as conventional oils. They are a good choice for drivers who put heavy loads on the engine such as towing or off-roading. Semi-synthetics offer many of the same benefits of full synthetics, but at a fraction of the cost"
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad View Post

Semi correct what you find at the store is but full synthetic is found at the dealers. Also motorcraft has conventional. This is taken from a mechanics magazine that I used to get.

"Synthetic oils pass stringent tests and offer longer-lasting performance when it comes to viscosity index and protection against deposits. Synthetics flow better at cold temperatures and maintain excellent lubricity at high temperatures. They do not readily evaporate. However, along with being more expensive, not every engine needs them.

Synthetic blends offer protection for somewhat heavier loads and higher temperatures. They don’t evaporate as readily as conventional oils. They are a good choice for drivers who put heavy loads on the engine such as towing or off-roading. Semi-synthetics offer many of the same benefits of full synthetics, but at a fraction of the cost"
I worked at a Ford dealer as a lube tech for about 6 months. Most of the bulk we used was a synthetic blend. Figured they all were just semi.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

I use MotorCraft blend and a MotorCraft filter.. Guess that's what it came with so it's good enough for me being I don't beat on my car at all.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I use motorcraft blend for mine dd and i see no issues and my 4.6's see plenty of high rpm. I drive 100 miles a day highway to work no issues. I use what it came with. Even with my 32v i built I never stray.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Definitely use synthetic and run longer drain intervals, it's always cheaper/mile and protects the engine.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy View Post
Definitely use synthetic and run longer drain intervals, it's always cheaper/mile and protects the engine.
I'll stick with my 2800 changes. Buy into what you feel, but I think I'm good.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I use castrol edge/syntec every 5000km ish. I check it all the time and I know exactly when I need to change it. I almost never hear of anyone else using castrol stuff and I've always been puzzled. It's awesome oil. Outperformed Mobil 1 in multiple stress tests.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I use castrol edge/syntec every 5000km ish. I check it all the time and I know exactly when I need to change it. I almost never hear of anyone else using castrol stuff and I've always been puzzled. It's awesome oil. Outperformed Mobil 1 in multiple stress tests.
I gave it a try back in the late 90's when it first hit the market. I took a 700mi trip and when I checked it, the texture was all most a gel feel. But that was back a bit. But my ford only sees ford. Just funny like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

I gave it a try back in the late 90's when it first hit the market. I took a 700mi trip and when I checked it, the texture was all most a gel feel. But that was back a bit. But my ford only sees ford. Just funny like that.
That's valid. It's really hard for me to get motor craft stuff up here (Canada) and i get hosed on it bad. Almost 9$ a quart! I get syntec for about 5$/qt.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll stick with my 2800 changes. Buy into what you feel, but I think I'm good.
To each his own. I run longer intervals so I don't have to change every month. Otherwise I would be changing every 3kmi with Motorcraft, Castrol, or Pennzoil.

Castrol syntec 0w30 is German produced and a great value, it's also ACEA A3 and GL 5 certified. The stuff is very tough. The rest is decent but really a group 3 synthetic, not group 4.

Synthetic needs to 'break in' and changing at 3kmi intervals is a waste and tougher on the engine, so if your keeping with traditional intervals stay with the Dino oil or blend (fancy Dino)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

That's valid. It's really hard for me to get motor craft stuff up here (Canada) and i get hosed on it bad. Almost 9$ a quart! I get syntec for about 5$/qt.
Damn that's high as giraffe's ***.. No one should knock you for not using it
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not all synthetics need a "break in" period. Also, the only thing that's tough on an engine when it comes to oil, is dirty oil. So changing it every 3 thousand (although pointless in today's modern engines) isn't going to hurt it at all. In fact, it helps keep it cleaner and causes it to last longer.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post
Not all synthetics need a "break in" period. Also, the only thing that's tough on an engine when it comes to oil, is dirty oil. So changing it every 3 thousand (although pointless in today's modern engines) isn't going to hurt it at all. In fact, it helps keep it cleaner and causes it to last longer.
Short intervals will not harm the engine, but it's not really required for engine life. If you feel better doing the short intervals and have some extra money for oil it can't hurt. It's far more important to use a high quality filter, like you said to keep it clean, and to warm up the engine completely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT