02 gt build - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
02 gt build

So guys over the next year I think I'm going to try and pull my engine get my block redone and get forged internals added, aftermarket heads cams and intake. The pointing the thread will be to share my plans and progress as I get into it. But I also want some help finding the parts as for forged pistons and crank and all that I'm clueless so all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. I think I wanna go with the stage 2 comp cams from AM and maybe a typhoon intake, but that's all I've become certain of I want.
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang View Post
So guys over the next year I think I'm going to try and pull my engine get my block redone and get forged internals added, aftermarket heads cams and intake. The pointing the thread will be to share my plans and progress as I get into it. But I also want some help finding the parts as for forged pistons and crank and all that I'm clueless so all suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. I think I wanna go with the stage 2 comp cams from AM and maybe a typhoon intake, but that's all I've become certain of I want.
What's your power goal?
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
*Subscribed*

I would think about going with a forged shortblock, it'll save you some time and hassle for just a bit more money. Also check out the Trick Flow intake manifolds, they are pretty good manifolds (based off the Bullitt design)
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post
*Subscribed*

I would think about going with a forged shortblock, it'll save you some time and hassle for just a bit more money. Also check out the Trick Flow intake manifolds, they are pretty good manifolds (based off the Bullitt design)
+1 pretty much anything trick flow is good. They make good heads too. MMR has some good forged rotating assembly kits depending on your power goal and budget.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
subscribed !

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post

What's your power goal?
Well in the long run I'd like 450ish to the wheels

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Quote:
*Subscribed*

The intake ill check out but I think budget wise I could get my block redone with new internals cheaper since I don't want a 700-1000hp car I think my block would b ok

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote:

+1 pretty much anything trick flow is good. They make good heads too. MMR has some good forged rotating assembly kits depending on your power goal and budget.
As for budget ill be buying things one part at a time slowly doing the build as soon as I get my taxes I'm going to try to get a cherry picker and engine stand then maybe start on the engine pull not long after

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
subscribed !
Lol u guys will be bored for awhile will def be a slow build
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

The intake ill check out but I think budget wise I could get my block redone with new internals cheaper since I don't want a 700-1000hp car I think my block would b ok

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

As for budget ill be buying things one part at a time slowly doing the build as soon as I get my taxes I'm going to try to get a cherry picker and engine stand then maybe start on the engine pull not long after

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Lol u guys will be bored for awhile will def be a slow build
lol i dont care as long i stay updated on whats going on lol

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post

lol i dont care as long i stay updated on whats going on lol
Sounds good to me lol!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you planning on staying all motor? I thoroughly enjoy building everything myself so I know where you are coming from, I figured I would just toss it out. Make sure to get a quality engine stand, not a cheap stand that basically looks like a T. Lots of guys have watched their hard work go up in flames when the wheels have caught a crack and the stand flipped over.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you planning on staying all motor? I thoroughly enjoy building everything myself so I know where you are coming from, I figured I would just toss it out. Make sure to get a quality engine stand, not a cheap stand that basically looks like a T. Lots of guys have watched their hard work go up in flames when the wheels have caught a crack and the stand flipped over.
Damn ill def look for a good one then, and after I get the engine back together with new heads and everything I might get a smaller vortech on low lbs just so I can be supercharged lol
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn ill def look for a good one then, and after I get the engine back together with new heads and everything I might get a smaller vortech on low lbs just so I can be supercharged lol
That sounds great!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That sounds great!
Yea so I think with like a blower on 6lbs I could get my 450rwhp mark easy if not a little more
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea so I think with like a blower on 6lbs I could get my 450rwhp mark easy if not a little more
Depending on how you build your motor then hell yeah!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-552234591.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	85486  
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here ya go.
Can't see in pic, but it's $1500 I believe.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Can't see in pic, but it's $1500 I believe.
Damn I was kinda hoping to buy all the stuff separate to make it easier to buy
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Damn I was kinda hoping to buy all the stuff separate to make it easier to buy
I'm sure you can, that's just a pic I had on hand and from what I've read mmr is pretty reputable. Although kits are generally cheaper overall.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm sure you can, that's just a pic I had on hand and from what I've read mmr is pretty reputable. Although kits are generally cheaper overall.
Yea thanks
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Might look into this later on http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ngine-Kit-44CC
Old 01-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

What would some good sites be to get bottom end parts? And what all do I need for a forged bottom end aside from pistons,rings, and a crank?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Shraderperformance in NC.

Dang good rep.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander View Post
Shraderperformance in NC.

Dang good rep.
They have a website?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would some good sites be to get bottom end parts? And what all do I need for a forged bottom end aside from pistons,rings, and a crank?
Refer back to that picture on the first page. It's a complete kit as far as I know. And I'm pretty sure you can buy all the pieces separately somewhere.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
http://shraderperformance.com/
Old 01-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You're gonna want bearings, piston rings, and definitely some ARP hardware. I've always been a fan of Manley products. They made the rods and pistons for terminators.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys ill def be doing a ton of research before I buy any thing I want the build to go as smooth as possible even if it takes awhile
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys ill def be doing a ton of research before I buy any thing I want the build to go as smooth as possible even if it takes awhile
That's the right mindset, can't wait to see your progress.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Guess I should add on here I want it to be a street/strip build, it will be on the street more than strip but I plan for it to have a lot of track time, I posted at first I want some comp cams but the link I posted I think was the trick flow kit from late model resto , anyone know what the cams r like in the kit, I want a good set of cams that will really rumble
Old 01-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Best bet is to look up the cam specs on Trick Flow's website.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Best bet is to look up the cam specs on Trick Flow's website.
Well that's the thing I don't know what durations are good which are not I'm still new to engines and how everything works I'm probably gonna be paying a guy to strip my block down and add everything bsck and to put my heads and intake on
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well that's the thing I don't know what durations are good which are not I'm still new to engines and how everything works I'm probably gonna be paying a guy to strip my block down and add everything bsck and to put my heads and intake on
Stripping the block isn't bad, just make sure you keep up with all the bolts and lay the heads on their side when you take em off. We stripped an old police interceptor 5.0 in like 40 minutes lol
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Stripping the block isn't bad, just make sure you keep up with all the bolts and lay the heads on their side when you take em off. We stripped an old police interceptor 5.0 in like 40 minutes lol
Well I guess me and dad could take the old heads and intake off I mean the only thing that I'm keeping is the block, aside from alt and pulleys and a/c all that ill keep
Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Since I'm going to end up with a centri blower, what extra maintenance needs to be done on a supercharged car to make sure everything stays in check and nothing blows , or what needs to be maintained so that all the seals in the blower are fine and everything
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since I'm going to end up with a centri blower, what extra maintenance needs to be done on a supercharged car to make sure everything stays in check and nothing blows , or what needs to be maintained so that all the seals in the blower are fine and everything
Intercooler/after cooler depending on what blower you go with, and most importantly is a good dyno tune.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Intercooler/after cooler depending on what blower you go with, and most importantly is a good dyno tune.
Don't have to do anything ever few miles or anything?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT