Beginner's guide to bolting-on power gains - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #106
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
You did because I already told you and you said okay. Either way its whatever. Just try to earn the posts a little more.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #107
beardless wonder
Supporter
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
didn't know sorry
no problem yo
__________________
IG = @silverskoundrel
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
You did because I already told you and you said okay
yeah and since I said okay I have posted a +1...so your point is?
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #109
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
didn't know sorry
It's ok, just participate and enjoy the forum. Some of these guys go hard and like to troll the newbies. What do you plan to use the forum discount to buy?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #110
beardless wonder
Supporter
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It's ok, just participate and enjoy the forum. Some of these guys go hard and like to troll the newbies. What do you plan to use the forum discount to buy?
altezza taillights
__________________
IG = @silverskoundrel
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
It's ok, just participate and enjoy the forum. Some of these guys go hard and like to troll the newbies. What do you plan to use the forum discount to buy?
well I was hoping that cyber Monday would bring a bama tuner, 78mm bbk throttle body, and a few other things.
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
yeah and since I said okay I have posted a +1...so your point is?
I edited my post before you quoted me as that my post may have been misinterpreted.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
I edited my post before you quoted me as that my post may have been misinterpreted.
gotcha, won't see any more post 1's. Didn't know the rules. No hard feelings.
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #114
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
well I was hoping that cyber Monday would bring a bama tuner, 78mm bbk throttle body, and a few other things.
Nice, is your car stock?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #115
beardless wonder
Supporter
Staff
 
silverskoundrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TX
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
gotcha, won't see any more post 1's. Didn't know the rules. No hard feelings.
like primer said b4 they're okay occasionally like if you agree with what someone said they're fine just don't abuse that! Haha
__________________
IG = @silverskoundrel
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Nice, is your car stock?
not entirely, performance wise I'm running a cold air intake, Mac off road h pipe with slp 2 exhaust. Looks wise it has 18" black fr 500s and a few other nic nacs on.
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
I have the 78mm tb and really like it. Install was easy, looks good, felt good throttle response.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverskoundrel View Post
like primer said b4 they're okay occasionally like if you agree with what someone said they're fine just don't abuse that! Haha
i know that now haha
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #119
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
not entirely, performance wise I'm running a cold air intake, Mac off road h pipe with slp 2 exhaust. Looks wise it has 18" black fr 500s and a few other nic nacs on.
Nice! Some LT's would bring that together nicely.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Nice! Some LT's would bring that together nicely.
i considered getting some but heard the hp gains were minimal, plus mines already super loud.
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
i considered getting some but heard the hp gains were minimal, plus mines already super loud.
Headers are one of the best mods short of a supercharger.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Headers are one of the best mods short of a supercharger.
how much hp would I gain with some LT headers?
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
Midpipe/catback, short throw, gears, tuner. Best bolt on mods imo.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Midpipe/catback, short throw, gears, tuner. Best bolt on mods imo.
well I've got the mid pipe, cat back, the shifter, and a cold air intake, just not the gears and tuner
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #125
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
I like JBA's LT's, I'm not sure of the gains but I haven't heard any one complain about them not delivering gains.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
I like JBA's LT's, I'm not sure of the gains but I haven't heard any one complain about them not delivering gains.
i may look into them now
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
i may look into them now
Congradulations on the 50, see how easy that was.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:13 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheWitness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Congradulations on the 50, see how easy that was.
lol easier than expected.
TheWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #129
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWitness View Post
i considered getting some but heard the hp gains were minimal, plus mines already super loud.
You are correct in what you heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Headers are one of the best mods short of a supercharger.
No, no they aren't. The stock 4.6L manifolds are not restrictive. Longtubes are one of the LAST things you do, if at all. You'll gain a little bit but for the price they are completely not worth it plus installing them in a 4.6 is not a 2 hour operation like it is in a pushrod...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

You are correct in what you heard.

No, no they aren't. The stock 4.6L manifolds are not restrictive. Longtubes are one of the LAST things you do, if at all. You'll gain a little bit but for the price they are completely not worth it plus installing them in a 4.6 is not a 2 hour operation like it is in a pushrod...
Then I guess we agree to disagree.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #131
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Then I guess we agree to disagree.
Its all in a matter of what its worth to you. Longtubes generally dyno an additional 5-15whp. Its $400 to get the cheapest Pypes units, $1000 to get the best Kooks units. Add to that thte asspain that is dropping the K member and god help you if you have a shop install them as far as labor costs...

Remember not everyone can/knows where to score deals on good used stuff or the ability to work on the car for whatever reason. Daily driver, live in apt complex, no tools, no garage etc...

edit: Then you also have to get your current midpipe cut/modified or buy a new midpipe and THEN if your trans has to come out that's another fun adventure with longtubes since our stupid transmissions don't come stock with a separate bellhousing.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Moderators,

Can these recent, and irrelevant (to beginner's mods), posts be removed from this thread?
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular
 
MidnightBlueGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Charlotte
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 3,887
+1.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #134
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
I'm glad this thread got bumped. I haven't been able to find any decent catbacks for sale and I'm thinking if just getting the pypes violator catback and mid from AM on theirs cyber Monday sale.

What do you guys think?
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
I'm glad this thread got bumped. I haven't been able to find any decent catbacks for sale and I'm thinking if just getting the pypes violator catback and mid from AM on theirs cyber Monday sale.

What do you guys think?
I've had the violators, they had a good sound. After 1k miles they sounded like something was loose inside making a tinning noise if that's even a word.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #136
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Dang I'll prolly stay away from these than thanks
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #137
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 15,612
The Violators are chambered like Flowmasters. Pretty much a stainless version of a Flowmaster catback when it all boils down to it. If something sounded like it came loose after a month it probably did. Was probably a baffle that broke off and was knocking around in there.

I'd get the M80s anyway if you are going to get a Pypes system. IMHO, chambered mufflers sound bleh. Good off idle/off idle but when you step on it they get too raspy and tinny. A straight through design will SCREAM when you punch it and is nice and deep and mellow at lower RPMs. They also do not drone like chambered mufflers do. I've got Dynomax Thrush chambered mufflers from the PO on mine right now and its not my cup of tea but I'm waiting till I get an IRS intsalled to get a IRS catback to change it up.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #138
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gardena
Region: California
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The Violators are chambered like Flowmasters. Pretty much a stainless version of a Flowmaster catback when it all boils down to it. If something sounded like it came loose after a month it probably did. Was probably a baffle that broke off and was knocking around in there. I'd get the M80s anyway if you are going to get a Pypes system. IMHO, chambered mufflers sound bleh. Good off idle/off idle but when you step on it they get too raspy and tinny. A straight through design will SCREAM when you punch it and is nice and deep and mellow at lower RPMs. They also do not drone like chambered mufflers do. I've got Dynomax Thrush chambered mufflers from the PO on mine right now and its not my cup of tea but I'm waiting till I get an IRS intsalled to get a IRS catback to change it up.
am sold out on those anyways. I'll take this as a sign of god to wait for something better.

I guess I'll go hunting in the corral again lol
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular
 
Davesorl04gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Euharlee
Region: Georgia
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
am sold out on those anyways. I'll take this as a sign of god to wait for something better.

I guess I'll go hunting in the corral again lol
Know a guy that runs a muffler shop. Told me today that he would build me a 2 1/2" system with high flow cats, one of those X pipes in a box, with Flowmasters for 750.00. Is that good?
Davesorl04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesorl04gt View Post
Know a guy that runs a muffler shop. Told me today that he would build me a 2 1/2" system with high flow cats, one of those X pipes in a box, with Flowmasters for 750.00. Is that good?
Well considering you can buy that same setup for the same price it seems like a waste. There's no guarantee that he can build a setup with the same fitment
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Members Mustangs

2012 5.0

danixenia

150

dimo
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



03:54 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.